Outdoor Christmas Lights....recommendations please

Posted on
Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:25 am
neilk offline

Re: Outdoor Christmas Lights....recommendations please

https://github.com/neilkplugins/WLED-indigo-plugin

A new version posted this morning thanks to the help of Jay and Dave last night. No real new functionality but a lot of improvements under the covers that should allow me now to round out the remaining functionality. The changes include :-

- Removed the need for mixed XML and JSON API calls, as well as general tidy up. Still work to do in this area to make it more "pythonic" and elegant but I am on it.
- Updated the device trigger labels so they make sense
- Added text states for the effect and palette so they can be exposed in a readable form
- Added Software version state and free heap states of the WLED/NodeMCU. I can see changes coming in WLED that may impact the plugin moving forward, and the free heap may help us identify resource challenges on the WLED
- I am hopeful I have identified all useful states the API can expose, but I am open to try what anyone needs. I also want to minimise changes to the device moving forward in case you build actions/triggers etc and have to recreate the device

I may have some time later to add more, but it will be limited today. Working on RGB (both primary and secondary) and Palette Change actions.

Any other requests please shout, as some of you are using the WLED's in anger. Also let me know how you are getting on.

Neil

Posted on
Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:52 am
Seeker offline

FYI, with 0.3, i''m getting this every few seconds:

Nov 10, 2019 at 5:47:21 AM
Error device "WLED1" state key primarybluevalue not defined (ignoring update request)
Error device "WLED1" state key primaryredvalue not defined (ignoring update request)
Error device "WLED1" state key primarygreenvalue not defined (ignoring update request)

I assume this is due to the work you have in progress.

the plugin is so handy. i've been working on some basic actions and control page settings.

Posted on
Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:51 am
DaveL17 offline

This is a common trap when developing plugins. It's extremely likely that it's the result of adding new custom states to the plugin after a device definition has been defined. If you open the configuration of each device and select save, the new device states should be established and silence the errors.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:05 am
neilk offline

Dave - that is indeed what I have been doing. Hopefully got everything in now in the latest version, your fix is great, rather than deleting the device which I was suggested so if I have missed something we can cover it.

Posted on
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:17 am
DaveL17 offline

I know because I've been there. :D

There's a way of getting the new states to propagate to existing devices because Matt and Jay saw this coming. Check out dev.stateListOrDisplayStateIdChanged():

https://wiki.indigodomo.com/doku.php?id=indigo_7_documentation:device_class

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:58 am
Seeker offline

DaveL17 wrote:
If you open the configuration of each device and select save, the new device states should be established and silence the errors.

This stops those errors. Thank you.

Posted on
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:47 am
Seeker offline

Neil, I know this is beta, but are the SET EFFECT actions supposed to be working to immediately change the effect type? I have 2 indigo actions set to change the effect (solid and wipe) and they don't seem to work.

Posted on
Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:45 am
neilk offline

Seeker - I will move over the the new thread for the WLED plugin https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?f=319&t=23179 so we can split the discussion.

My first thought it was a version issue, due to my GitHub User error (also part of my learning journey) I will add notes to the thread by the latest version is actually https://github.com/neilkplugins/WLED-indigo-plugin/releases/tag/0.0.4-alpha which you may already have.

I clearly don't know how to do updates to GitHub properly, as the actual code changes are not being reflected, but I include a zip file of the actual version via that link and that does work. I will sort that this evening so I use GitHub properly and people can track changes and logically get the latest version.

To your question I spotted a bug late last night and fixed it, but didn't have time to push a new release, that will address the issue with setting effects (and also correctly update the test states rather than waiting for the next refresh cycle). Worst case I will get a new version out that has working effect and palette controls (that is already done). I hope to also complete the RGB Primary and Secondary colour setting options which should also be fine.

I will post when it is done, it may be late UK time, hopefully earlier.

Posted on
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:49 am
siclark offline

Has anyone ordered any of these bulbs from Aliexpress? I'm wondering about quality as hard to return.
They have strings (I want to put them in trees outside) for £55 for 500 bulbs. Seems great but have to pay £20 for fast shipping otherwise will miss Christmas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:07 pm
siclark offline

Also what's the white colour like on these? It's it possible to get a warm white or is it better with proper colours?
I don't want to spend £100 to then be told they don't match the existing lights well enough

Posted on
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:28 pm
mundmc offline

IMO, they do white better than traditional rgb lights- i’ll try to post a pic comparing them to rgbww lights i control with a Fibraro zwave controller.

Posted on
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:07 pm
siclark offline

Cheers. Yes I assumed they did as people weren't complaining or commenting like with normal analogue RGB strips

Posted on
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:33 pm
neilk offline

Seeker - new version posted that fixes you issue earlier, apologies for the mess up, trying to move too fast. The updates on the desktop GitHub had not pushed to the online repository.

https://github.com/neilkplugins/WLED-indigo-plugin/releases/tag/0.0.5-alpha

This now has actions for Set Effect, Set Effect Intensity,Set Effect Speed, Set Palette, Set Primary RGB, Set Secondary RGB and they even work.

Any other testing feedback greatly appreciated, and any request for functionality.

I will now shift new updates to the plugin sub forum

Neil

Posted on
Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:37 pm
mundmc offline

Outdoor Christmas Lights....recommendations please

siclark wrote:
Also what's the white colour like on these? It's it possible to get a warm white or is it better with proper colours?
I don't want to spend £100 to then be told they don't match the existing lights well enough

Here’s a comparison of rgbw on a Fibraro controller and assignable led’s on a large power supply. These Rgbw’s are definitely brighter, but similar coloring...

Posted on
Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:48 pm
siclark offline

A big Aliexpress order coming slowly, (very slowly compared to Prime) my way. Hopefully 2 weeks and I can get this setup in time for December. WS2811 string lights for trees. Thanks for yet again helping me part with my money, but looking forward to upping my light game!

Page 5 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10