Modern Alarm System

Posted on
Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:33 pm
petematheson offline

Modern Alarm System

Hi All,

Thinking of replacing our DSC Alarm with a more modern 'smart' alarm.

Appreciate that Indigo makes the DSC alarm smart, but wonder if there are any more modern, specifically UK based alarm systems that can be monitored.

I know Ring have a security system in the US, but it's not over here in the UK yet.
ADT Smart Alarm?
Our local alarming company are recommending a ION40H Eaton / Scantronic which can have a relay to trigger indigo on alarm set / unset.

One with a nice App to set / unset / manage codes / see who has set and unset the alarm.
Can be monitored and responded to by a third party.
One that opens up the sensors fully to Indigo - so I can use PIRs etc Although perhaps this is less likely due to security risks nowadays so can factor this in.

Thoughts?

Posted on
Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:51 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Modern Alarm System

I don't know. But I am curious as to why you want the panel to be "smarter" and in what ways do you want it to be smarter?

[MODERATOR NOTE] moved to a more appropriate forum.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:41 am
neilk offline

I think most of the “Smart” alarms are significantly “dumber” than the DSC/Indigo combination., especially if you already have wiring for the sensors and panel (as wireless and an app is usually what they claim is smart). The DSC is a bit clunky to configure but with the Envisalink you get pretty much everything you asked for. The app will natively notify you of events including who disarmed by user code and monitors the internet connection. I haven’t tried managing user codes with either (I do have the touch panel that makes some admin tasks easier on the disc). As for UK monitoring most suppliers want to lock the panel down and just having arm/disarm and alarm state would be a big step backwards. The insurance discounts for having a certified / monitored alarm in the UK don’t really justify the costs and the monitoring service I had on the old panel wasn’t that great and almost impossible to get a timely police response anyway even if the monitor company says it is not a false alarm. I know a plug-in exists for the Texecom panels that are UK based so maybe a firm will monitor that one and let you integrate but I don’t know if the capability of the panel or plugin. I know the panel I took out was an old model and fitted by a local UK alarm company and was monitored.
http://www.indigodomo.com/pluginstore/175/

Posted on
Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:54 am
neilk offline

A quick search show these guys who seem to offer a UK based monitoring service for DSC alarms and the seem to take on existing systems. No idea what they are like though.

https://bmsecurity.co.uk/blog/dsc-alarms/maintain-or-upgrade-your-dsc-alarm-system-with-bm-security/

Posted on
Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:16 am
petematheson offline

neilk wrote:
The app will natively notify you of events including who disarmed by user code and monitors the internet connection.

There's an app ?!

Posted on
Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:49 am
neilk offline

For the Envisalink
https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/eyezon-mobile/id1268337291

I only found it recently.

Posted on
Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:52 am
petematheson offline