LED Strip buying advice

Posted on
Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:24 am
siclark offline

LED Strip buying advice

HI, As the title says, I am looking to buy some LED strips and somewhat overwhelmed by the options.

My plan is to use a fibaro RGBW zwave controller to control them, and for now one will be driving 3 small strips that will always be controlled together which I think would be cheaper than a Hue setup?

The main goal is to have cool white in daytime, with warmer option in evening, so I have considered the dual white strips. However can a full RGBWW strip do cool white with the RBG LEDs and then warm white with its white LEDs? If so that would give some greater options with colour.
Its really just accent lighting so doesnt need to be very bright.

Also there seems to be a huge range of quality and price. What are the good chips / features / brands to look out for? I am in the UK.

Cheers

Posted on
Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:16 am
jltnol offline

Re: LED Strip buying advice

So the Fibaro has 4 channels... RGBW. What you connect to these 4 channels is up to you. In theory, you could connect your two WW LED's, and then just 2 of the RGB LED's and run them on the Fibaro controller.

Obviously, missing one color will greatly limit your ability to do special colors, like for holidays, but this may not be a concern for you. If it were me, I'd get a cool white RGBW strip, and use the colors to come up with a "warm" white when you need it.

Here in the US, I used these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KYKEUXO/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are cool white LED's and full RGB as well. Not sure if they will be available to you in the UK, but I'm sure they come from China, so perhaps. And while they say "waterproof", they aren't very waterproof. While mine are not underwater, they do get wet from rain often, and haven't lasted very long... but they are cheap....

Theses work very well with the Fibaro controller.

Posted on
Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:32 am
DaveL17 offline

Re: LED Strip buying advice

I don't know of a controller that supports RGBWW strips that also works with Indigo, but you might be able to roll your own controller with a Raspberry Pi, Arduino or one of the Ethernet relay boards--which all have demonstrated hooks with Indigo via plugins and direct commands. If it were me, I'd probably go with a combination of the Fib and a Pi. Use the Fib to control the light channels and the dimming, and use the Pi board to drive either the cool white channel or the warm white channel depending on whatever criteria you choose.

I think you'd be hard pressed to generate anything close to a warm white color with just the RGB diodes.

I've been happy with the Supernight strips although I've only used them indoors. One strip I have came with the wires flipped for two channels, but it was easy to overcome by just wiring it up that way. I've stuck with them and haven't had any other problems.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Page 1 of 1