Things people have automated?

Posted on
Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:31 am
ddeppe offline

Things people have automated?

Hi all, I'm wondering what kinds of things people have automated as I am fairly new to this. I automated my Christmas lights to have them go on @ dusk, off @ midnight, on @ 5am, & off @ sunrise. I recently automated my electric razor charger to charge twice a week for 17 hours to prevent me from forgetting to charge it often enough, yet extend battery life by not over-charging. I've also automated shutting off lights in bedrooms 30 min's after sunrise & 30 min's after activity has stopped in a particular room during daylight hours. I"m also thinking of trying out a light based wake up system to replace or enhance my alarm clock. I think I'll use a remote commander by my bed to enable & disable that wake up call on weekdays when I am on vacation - maybe I'll use a 2 flash signal to let me know it is activated, and a single flash to let me know it is deactivated (would combine with a variable set to true or false). What other kinds of things have you automated?

Posted on
Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:28 pm
George from CT offline

(No subject)

I have automated water sprinkler to go on every other day for an hour.

Also this summer, automated the system to turn on water for 30 seconds every half-hour. This water fed a soaker hose run along the crest of the roof to cool the roof during the daylight hours. Wet the roof and cool from evaporation.

Ideas?

Posted on
Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:48 am
gregjsmith offline

(No subject)

I have my celling fans come on based on temp. I automated my sprinklers. Most of my lights come on based on motion detectors. The main entries have sensors on them, in combination with the motion detectors i can tell if the house is still occupied. If not all the lights gets turned off.

Posted on
Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:34 pm
ipfreely offline

(No subject)

Get a copy of "Smart Home Hacks" by Gordon Meyer. It is a new book so Indigo is covered. Great ideas except the lawn mower hack. That one is people nicknamed Nubby!

My how fun flies when your doing time!

Page 1 of 1