What’s the best way to integrate presence in Indigo?

Posted on
Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:00 pm
odavis offline

I’ve used smartphone radar for years and it’s till going strong. It’s great for detecting if someone is home (or not) and making that state available to indigo.

Despite liking my current solution I’m wondering if there are other, perhaps better, ways to detect presence for two reasons:

1. Smartphone radar relies on SNMP and best I can tell none of the mesh wireless products support SNMP.

2. I’d like a presence solution that could be room specific for better lighting control. Motion sensors are ok but they aren’t as reliable as I’d like (at least the ones I’ve tried).

Would love to hear any ideas on this topic.

Thanks!

Owen

Posted on
Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:31 pm
kw123 offline

Re: What’s the best way to integrate presence in Indigo?

Pibeacon can do presence with iBeacons. If you have an Raspberry, in each room it works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:41 pm
siclark offline

kw123 wrote:
Pibeacon can do presence with iBeacons. If you have an Raspberry, in each room it works

I have unifi APs and use that plugin to tell me whether someone is home by their phone being on the network. It also can tell me closest AP so I know if we are all upstairs, or at least our phones are.

Liked the pibeacon room idea but we just don't carry keys whilst at home for the ibeacon to be attached to. .

It's pretty quick to activate, helps having good WiFi coverage out the front of the house.

Plus home remote on a wider geofenve to trigger, confirm as well.

Posted on
Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:00 pm
kw123 offline

BLE connect in pibeacon seems to work with iPhones but drains the battery and the iPhones go to sleep when not used after a while = are not present

Posted on
Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:10 am
Vangelis offline

As already mentioned by some others - a lot of the current presense detection requires you to have your phone / smart fob on you, which just isn't the case sometimes. Short of using PIRs / Contacts and some smart logic, most scenarios have limitations.

I posted a while back regarding RF Tomography, which basically uses 'nodes' placed around the house, and the fact that your body 'disturbs' the RF signals sent out by these nodes, by triangulation techniques, it can (roughly) pinpoint your location within the property. A company called XandemHome is at the heart of this and it looks like it can interface with Home Automation systems.

Vangelis

Posted on
Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:55 am
noel1983 offline

If you’re looking for specific person presence in specific rooms ie wife is in the kitchen

Then either pibeacon as suggested or as a possibly cheaper alternative geofency on each phone and iBeacons in each room.

Downside is the config is on each phone but I’ve found it to be set and forget once working.

It’s very fast from the live use I have with geo location and tests I’ve done with my beacons and just works.

As said above this relies on phones being carried with them. Or see if the family are up for some implants?!

Posted on
Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:04 am
noel1983 offline

What is it you’re looking to achieve?

I bought iBeacons intending to use them to indicate presence in the bathroom when someone isn’t moving (we have teenagers that become motionless for long periods of time with their iPhones sat on the loo!)

Until someone pointed out that the bathroom door is only ever shut when someone is in there so why not use a door sensor.

So depending what you want to achieve there may be other better ways of doing it.

Posted on
Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:42 am
howartp offline

noel1983 wrote:
(we have teenagers that become motionless for long periods of time with their iPhones sat on the loo!)

Don’t need teenagers for that... :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 1 of 1