Automating a new bathroom

Posted on
Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:50 pm
petematheson offline

Automating a new bathroom

Hi All,

If you were to install a new bathroom, what things would you automate?

Thinking the usuals like:
Main spotlights
LEDs in the Shower alcoves
Towel tail & radiator
Window and motion.

Anything else cool available like, running / stopping the bath?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:43 pm
DaveL17 offline

Re: Automating a new bathroom

VENTILATION.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:26 pm
noel1983 offline

Heat pad behind the mirror
Ceiling speaker for music
Something on the shower to then trigger a ‘you’ve been in there far too long get out of the shower now message’
Dimmed lights if activated during the middle of the night
Smart magic mirror

Probably have an amazon echo on there for voice control of music too

That’d be my list!

Posted on
Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:31 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

DaveL17 wrote:
VENTILATION.

+1 - I have an Oregon Scientific Temp/Humidity sensor mounted in the narrow window above our shower - when the humidity gets over some percentage the exhaust fan comes on. Really helps to keep the mirrors clear. They make moisture sensor equipped exhaust fans, but I had a sensor and a SwitchLinc available when we moved into this house so it was a no-cost option.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:34 pm
Swancoat offline

Kohler Digital Shower.

This is what I dream of. Electronic mixing valve, so you can set the temp, save presets etc.

Not sure what kind of interfaces/APIs are available for that thing, but if I were redoing a bathroom, I would want that pretty badly. Particularly at my house where it takes an weirdly long time for hot water to get the the master bedroom shower. Have it turn on with my alarm clock or triggered by some getting out of bed event or something.

http://nerdhome.jimdo.com

Posted on
Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:41 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

jay (support) wrote:
They make moisture sensor equipped exhaust fans

That's what I use and it does make a huge difference and also helps prevent mold - which is why I installed on of these in the first place because the steam would just hang around the corners and eventually mold.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:10 pm
DaveL17 offline

We're starting to pull together a design for a new house and one of the things I want to look into is centralized ventilation--something in this neighborhood. But I don't know anything about what the options are for automating such a thing. On/off obviously easy, but I'm thinking plenums (dampers) and whatnot. I love the idea of being able to redirect the ventilation and these units are supposed to be quite a bit quieter.
Last edited by DaveL17 on Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:17 am
jalves offline

I'll add my voice to the ventilation crowd. I've got Aeotec Multisensors in each bathroom plus some in nearby rooms. I use a simple script that compares the humidity reading inside the bathroom to that of a sensor in a nearby room. If the difference is greater than 15% it kicks on the vent fan for 40 minutes. During that time, every time the humidity changes in the bathroom the trigger is re-evaluated so once the humidity delta is less than 14% the fan (and the 40 minute timer) are turned off. I set this up initially so that if we forget to turn the fan on when showering, or a house guest is unfamiliar with the need to do so, Indigo will handle it.

Similarly, I also use the motion sensor capability of those multi sensors to automatically turn on the lights when somebody enters the bathroom. However I found it wise to limit that activity to waking hours so that somebody that gets up in the middle of the night to use the facilities doesn't get blasted with bright lights. ;)

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:43 am
siclark offline

I'm with Jay and C4W. I originally thought of hungrier sensors and automating ventilation, but in favour of KISS all in one extractor fans with their own sensors are much easier.
+1 to ceiling speakers
Individual control of underfloor heating and towel rails. My towel rails are plumbed into central heating so get hot with boiler in winter but in summer have electric inserts I can control as well. Plus In winter if the boiler hasn't been on in hour before I get up as house already warm, I kick the electric boost on the towel rail on as well.

Posted on
Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:37 pm
Swancoat offline

Is it weird that I live in Texas but a heated towel rack still sounds like something I need?

http://nerdhome.jimdo.com

Posted on
Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:17 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Swancoat wrote:
Is it weird that I live in Texas but a heated towel rack still sounds like something I need?

LOL - I was thinking the exact same thing. I remember the first time I saw one of those - in the Grand Hotel Karel V in Utrecht, Netherlands many years ago on a business trip (aside - it's an amazingly beautiful hotel). Since then I've always wanted one but could never justify the cost.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:02 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

I still have one I bought for my wife that we never installed because we felt it cramped the bathroom too much. Now sits in the storage unit for "someday".

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:24 pm
petematheson offline

jay (support) wrote:
DaveL17 wrote:
VENTILATION.

+1 - I have an Oregon Scientific Temp/Humidity sensor mounted in the narrow window above our shower - when the humidity gets over some percentage the exhaust fan comes on. Really helps to keep the mirrors clear. They make moisture sensor equipped exhaust fans, but I had a sensor and a SwitchLinc available when we moved into this house so it was a no-cost option.

I already have a Aeotec Multisensor - are the Oregon’s better?
My Aeotec always reports humidity at about 93% so I can’t really do much automation wise with ventilation and 7%!

Posted on
Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:36 pm
petematheson offline

siclark wrote:
I'm with Jay and C4W. I originally thought of hungrier sensors and automating ventilation, but in favour of KISS all in one extractor fans with their own sensors are much easier.
+1 to ceiling speakers
Individual control of underfloor heating and towel rails. My towel rails are plumbed into central heating so get hot with boiler in winter but in summer have electric inserts I can control as well. Plus In winter if the boiler hasn't been on in hour before I get up as house already warm, I kick the electric boost on the towel rail on as well.

Any ideas on how to control an electric towel rail? Is it just an on/off plug? (Never had one before!)