Mac Mini’s future

Posted on
Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:00 pm
durosity offline

Mac Mini’s future

Well it looks like Timmy is saying the mini does have a future.. which is nice.. a bit of a relief I think for a lot of us here!

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/10/19/ti ... oduct/amp/

Computer says no.

Posted on
Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:58 pm
CliveS offline

Re: Mac Mini’s future

It should allow those that need it to upgrade and put a lot more 2012/2015 mini's into the second hand market because unless you know more about Indigo 8 than you are letting on (creeping up from the basement to look at Jay's future of Indigo plans!!!) we really don't need the power the 2018 mini will give (but it would be nice, especially if they fix the USB problem in High Sierra which it will ship with). I have enough power under the lid of my 2011 i7 2Ghz

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:55 pm
durosity offline

Well I can confirm Indigo 8 will have a deep neural network learning functionality, a quantum core and a competitor to Siri voiced by wee jimmy Krankie!

I’m particularly looking forward to a new one as I currently have a 2008 8 core Mac Pro running as my server as I have about 11 CCTV cameras being processed with SecuritySpy.. it works exceptionally well but it’s running an out of date macOS and it does use a LOT of power. A new mini MIGHT be able to handle the same workload as the almost 10 year old pro and be a heck of a lot better for electricity use. Between that and my EV you would not want to see my electric bill each month!!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:23 pm
CliveS offline

Well in your case I can see you might need an upgrade :!: , Is it that bad in Newcastle that you need 11 cameras or you just like collecting them, as for electricity bills have you looked at Future Energy, can't beat it when I went to USwitch it failed to beat them.

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:38 pm
siclark offline

@durosity 11?? Eleven????

Posted on
Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:47 pm
durosity offline

Yeah my contract with OVO is up soon, so I’ll be shopping around soon!

And I have 11 cameras for all angles around the house (mostly because I’m a nosy bugger) and then several inside.. again cos I’m nosy.. I like to watch my cats when I’m at work.

And yeah.. I just noticed that coincidence. That’s the 11th coincidence today.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:31 pm
durosity offline

Ah perhaps, but then they wouldn’t be my cats!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:28 pm
noel1983 offline

I’m debating buying a mini at the moment as my old one went off to a family member.

They hold their value really well and as I have a vat registered business it makes more sense to get a refurb/new one for around £330. Challenge/annoyance is the complete lack of upgrade ability.

Be interesting to see what any new one would be like

Posted on
Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:43 pm
durosity offline

Personally.. i'd wait. The 2014 model is very old now (remember when Shiller said how sad it was people were running 5 year old computers?) and as you said the ram is completely unupgradable. I suspect that the upgrade will appear in the next 6 months.. assuming it ever does!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:58 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Give me eBay or Craigslist and I'll dig up a solid mid 2011 Mac Mini and I'll upgrade that puppy to 16GB of memory and off to the races. I do a lot on that make of mini in my life, from running Indigo to being my home file server to the VPN/file servers in my employees homes. Solid. Total investment < $500.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:31 pm
noel1983 offline

Yeah I get that I just struggle with spending the same on a seven year old machine that could have a hardware failure as I could on something brand new.

Will try and wait it out and see what new toys come out!

Posted on
Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:21 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

noel1983 wrote:
Yeah I get that I just struggle with spending the same on a seven year old machine that could have a hardware failure as I could on something brand new.
Will try and wait it out and see what new toys come out!

A new Mac Mini with 16GB will set you back $1,000 or more.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:27 pm
kw123 offline

I am still considering buying a Mac Pro 2013. It really looks cool. Once they stop making them I might buy one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:59 am
noel1983 offline

A new Mac Mini with 16GB will set you back $1,000 or more.[/quote]

True albeit my Mac would be dedicated only to indigo, no cctv or cameras so base ram would be fine.
Much as I’d love 16gb I’d much prefer a new under warranty Mac for $500 than a 7 year old one.

I have great experience with long lasting Mac kit but I’ve also had a number of issues at the 7 + year mark (perfectly reasonably!) others I’m sure have run kit for longer just my experience and preference.

Posted on
Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:33 am
noel1983 offline

I genuinely love it when there’s such great cases of Mac hardware lasting so long. :) I have original iPads going strong too, although struggle to find uses for the, these days!

My challenge is spending significant cash on something that has a reasonable chance of failure. Each to their own and that’s what makes this all so fun!