DoorBird Review

Posted on
Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:32 am
neilk offline

Re: DoorBird Review

I hardwired mine and soldered the connections as I didn't trust the crimp connectors they supplied, no real reason but it felt more like a proper job. Not sure the jack they supply is that robust as well. Connectivity itself worked with no problems.

Posted on
Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:24 pm
kidney offline

Just about tried everything, even plugged it directly in the mac that is the DCHP server, and it didn't even get the IP address!

Posted on
Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:09 pm
berkinet offline

kidney wrote:
Just about tried everything, even plugged it directly in the mac that is the DCHP server, and it didn't even get the IP address!

I assume you meant you plugged it into the same hub/switch as the Mac. Plugging it directly into the Mac would not normally work. Try a factory reset and then retry with the ethernet connection before configuring WI-Fi.

Posted on
Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:11 pm
kidney offline

It should work with a crossover cable! No?

I'll search for the factory reset instruction....

Posted on
Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:42 pm
berkinet offline

kidney wrote:
It should work with a crossover cable! No?.
Maybe not. It is easy too get the cable wired wrong. Are you sure there was connectivity at all through the cable. Also, there could easily be configuration issues with the DHCP service. Are you actually running a DHCP server, or are you just using Internet sharing? Assuming you have a gateway on your network that already provides DHCP service, I'd just plug the DB into any network hub/switch.

Posted on
Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:47 pm
kidney offline

I'm running Mac Os X 10.12.1 with Os X Server 5.2. DHCP server is running, it's actually providing address to all my sonos, ps4, xbox, Global cache, wii and IOS device and etc with no problem.
The crossover cable was tested and is good......
Do you how to hard reset the DB? Havent found anything so far on the net.

Posted on
Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:22 pm
berkinet offline

kidney wrote:
I'm running Mac Os X 10.12.1 with Os X Server 5.2. DHCP server is running...
The crossover cable was tested and is good......
Do you how to hard reset the DB? Havent found anything so far on the net.

I do not know how to reset a DoorBird, I've never had to.

I would still try connecting through a hub or switch. Crossover cables can be problematic, especially with "smart" interfaces that try to switch to match the cable. That is, the cable might work in one situation, but not another. If you cannot get a connection with a straight cable through a hub, then you most likely have a problem with the DoorBird. BTW, You might try connecting directly to the Mac (with the crossover cable) and see if the Network Control panel recognizes the connection at all. You can also try connecting the DoorBird to a switch, with a straight cable, and see if you get a link light on the switch.

Posted on
Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:01 pm
kidney offline

The point was that I tried everything even into the computer.
Managed switch, un managed switch, POE switch,. crossover patch cable, straight patch cable, another dhcp server..... I mean every combination that I could think off.

Was tried!

Posted on
Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:18 am
kidney offline

How many hops is yours from your DHCP server?

Posted on
Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:26 pm
kidney offline

Just been told by Doorbird that their product doesn't do well with multilayered switch. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Posted on
Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:21 pm
agame offline

dont suppose anyone has advanced moving this to a plugin?

Ive just migrated from vera to Indigo. I used to have the door bird API trigger notifications of doorbell press (SONOS announcement). I want to achieve the same on Indigo but I gather there is an unavoidable authentication issue that makes the two incompatible using the usual Indigo url commands (?).

I'm thinking of reinstating the vera to bridge the two devices (via a virtual switch visible to Indigo) but that seems cumbersome and most likely will slow thing down.

Posted on
Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:51 am
berkinet offline

agame wrote:
dont suppose anyone has advanced moving this to a plugin?
There really isn't much point. There is nothing on the DoorBird for Indigo to control, except maybe to open the door, and that would duplicate functionality the DoorBird already does quite well.

then, agame also wrote:
Ive just migrated from vera to Indigo. I used to have the door bird API trigger notifications of doorbell press (SONOS announcement). I want to achieve the same on Indigo but I gather there is an unavoidable authentication issue that makes the two incompatible using the usual Indigo url commands (?).
This can easily be done without the need for a complex plugin. You use the DoorBird API to have it send an event to Indigo. Check out the first post in this thread for an example. In The example, the event notification is used to capture a photo, but you could easily modify the action to make the announcement you want.

and finally, agame wrote wrote:
I'm thinking of reinstating the vera to bridge the two devices (via a virtual switch visible to Indigo) but that seems cumbersome and most likely will slow thing down.
... and, not necessary. Let your Vera rest comfortable in the drawer.

Posted on
Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:42 am
agame offline

Thanks. Would be true if everyone knew their way around Indigo like you do! Appreciate the only point of a plug in would be to stick this code where it needs to belong....

I now have the two devices patched together but as I expected its a bit flakey so would love to get on top of implementing this solution.

Being new to Indigo I'm still at a loss to grasp where to place the code on this post? (On vera I would be adding some to a startup script and the remainder on triggers.) Gonna have to study harder.

Posted on
Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:46 am
neilk offline

I haven't tried this but the need for a plugin is even less now as this plugin

http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?f=216&t=17281

Does the job of the script I hacked far more elegantly from a configuration and install perspective. That way you can trigger doorbell, motion and door open notification from a variable change trigger. The image capture can then be done based on those two triggers so show for example doorbird images on a control page.

Again I have not tried using the security camera plugin, but suspect this can handle any image capture requirements and more for you

The only thing left for a plugin to do is to setup the notification subscriptions on the doorbird itself rather than constructing the long URL, but if you have done this for Vera, it is no different here other than the target URL is different.

Happy to help getting this going for you or with more detailed notes.

Thanks,
Neil

Posted on
Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:05 am
agame offline

Interesting. I did stumble across that plugin and though it should work...I got as far as seeing authentication errors in the Indigo log on a Doorbird event.. I assumed I was hitting something authentication related similar to the problem with the original direct calls so abandoned the effort.

(Authentication is certainly not my area of expertise...the syntax for the authentication (username:password@[indigoURL] proposed in this plugin is different to that specified in the door bird URL where they are parameters later in the URL...not clear if this is significant but have tried all permutations).

I'll dust it off and fiddle a bit more.

(Still would love a hint on where to put your code given that actually works lol?!)

I'm fine on generating the Doorbird config requests (having pointed Doorbird to vera and back to Indigo several times now!)...my challenge issue is at the Indigo end!

(Must admit I'm very impressed with Indigo, just a couple of devices left on Vera and whittling those away...would love to stick it in the drawer but I need my doorbell!!).

Adam
Last edited by agame on Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.