DoorBird Review

Posted on
Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:22 pm
neilk offline

Re: DoorBird Review

Jens,
The script I posted earlier already does this, that is to say when the door open button is pressed in the DoorBird the associated action group can be run. I am overdue posting a revised version of the script that berkinet did tidying up my rather crude script, and that should make it a little clearer.
Let me know if I can help.
Thanks,
Neil

Posted on
Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:44 pm
jens offline

Please post the New script then I maybe can get this to work :)

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:04 pm
neilk offline

Jens,
Here you go.

Berkinet removed code that wasn't bring used, like the kill function and the code at the bottom for starting from some test mode Karl probably uses.

He also moved the action ID settings to the top and changed the references to exactly match the API docs (dooropen" rather than button, etc.) and dropped the trailing ".html" from the URL scheme, it isn't needed; and added the "type" option to the Indigo log commands.

He also changed the port since a lot of people use numbers in the 8000 - 8999 range for web stuff - which is just good practice and would avoid conflicts.

The credit is to Berkinet, thanks to him for helping me out. The notification you need to set up is the "/dooropen" one, and the associated action group runs with no obvious delay (my action just writes to the log as I have no use for it). I also tweaked my other scripts to use the correct type in the indigo logging. As the nights get darker I do plan to move this to a plugin but once configured this seems robust and reliable.

Regards,
Neil

Code: Select all
# by Karl Wachs
# July 16
# modified for DoorBird by NeilK
# Minor changes and edits by Berkinet
##

# import time
# import urlparse
# import datetime
# import subprocess
import os
import indigo  # just to supress lint errors
from BaseHTTPServer import BaseHTTPRequestHandler, HTTPServer

PORT = 18009  # port number to be used by DoorBird on IndigoServer to GET url's defined in the API
actionMotion = 133915548  # ID of Action Group to run when DoorBird motion sensor is triggered
actionOpen = 527625839    # ID of Action Group to run when the open button in the app is pressed
actionBell = 384010246       # ID of Action Group to run on the Doorbell rings.

# See DoorBird API at www.doorbird.com/api to set the URL to get based on the action for /motionsensor , /doorbell , /dooropen
# For example: http://192.168.1.10/bha-api/notification.cgi?url=http://192.168.1.2:18009/motionsensor&user=&password=&event=motionsensor&subscribe=1

class S(BaseHTTPRequestHandler):
    def _set_headers(self):
        self.send_response(200)
        self.send_header('Content-type', 'text/html')
        self.end_headers()

def do_GET(self):
        self._set_headers()
        # indigo.server.log("DoorBird server received %s\n %s:" % (str(self.path), str(self.headers)), type="DoorBird")
        self.wfile.write("<html><body><h1>Indigo DoorBird Forwarding</h1>"+str(self.path)+"</body>")

if self.path == "/motionsensor":
            indigo.server.log("DoorBird sent motion command", type="DoorBird")
            indigo.actionGroup.execute(actionMotion)

if self.path == "/dooropen":
            indigo.server.log("DoorBird sent Button command", type="DoorBird")
            indigo.actionGroup.execute(actionOpen)

if self.path == "/doorbell":
            indigo.server.log("DoorBird sent doorbell command", type="DoorBird")
            indigo.actionGroup.execute(actionBell)

def do_HEAD(self):
        self._set_headers()

def do_POST(self):
        # Doesn't do anything with posted data
        self._set_headers()
        self.wfile.write("<html><body><h1>POST!</h1></body></html>")

def run(server_class=HTTPServer, handler_class=S, port=PORT):
    server_address = ('', port)
    httpd = server_class(server_address, handler_class)
    indigo.server.log("Starting DoorBird httpd..."+"Port...."+str(PORT), type="DoorBird")
    httpd.serve_forever()

if __name__ == "__main__":
    myPID = str(os.getpid())
    indigo.server.log("PID of DoorBird server is:" + myPID, type="DoorBird")
    run()

Posted on
Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:28 pm
jens offline

Neilk,

Wher do i put the big script? please pictures :?

Sorry :(

//Jens

Posted on
Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:38 am
berkinet offline

jens wrote:
Neilk,

Wher do i put the big script? please pictures :?

Sorry :(

//Jens

See @neilk's earlier post
viewtopic.php?p=120792#p120792

Posted on
Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:08 am
nanocoin offline

Hello all, newbie here. Found the @berkinet review incredibly helpful. Thanks! Great thread too.

I was wondering about the network security profile of the DoorBird. Is there tamper protection if someone takes off the faceplate? Does the cat5 cable provide direct ethernet access to the LAN? I'm a little concerned about having an ethernet cable on the sidewalk -- seems like that could be an inviting target for a hacker to tap into the network/ home control system (we are planning on using Control4). Thanks in advance for any thoughts here.

Posted on
Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:24 am
berkinet offline

nano coin wrote:
...I was wondering about the network security profile of the DoorBird. Is there tamper protection if someone takes off the faceplate? Does the cat5 cable provide direct ethernet access to the LAN? I'm a little concerned about having an ethernet cable on the sidewalk... ...Thanks in advance for any thoughts here.

The screws that hold the faceplate on are security type screws, I .e. torx screws with a reverse dimple in the center
that would keep out the average vandal, but not a professional thief. Once the case was opened, the ethernet connection would be accessible. However, to gain from such access, the perp would have to know an awful lot about your house and home electronics, and have a pretty good idea that there was something worth taking.

You could use Wi-Fi and eliminate the Cat-5 cable. But, unless your entry phone is well situated, the Wi-Fi signal might not deliver the best performance. Also consider that you can have the DoorBird send an alarm on motion, and capture any motion activity as well. If your entry phone is located is a relatively calm area, motion detection might be a good idea. But, if you are on a street, forget it. The motion detection system is pretty liberal about what triggers it.

Posted on
Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:38 pm
neilk offline

The Cat5 in my case is soldered onto the flying leads (I didn't trust the crimps they supplied) so it would not be as simple as just unplugging the jack (they do provide an adapter to allow that). Someone would need to be pretty determined to get a connections. You could then detect a tamper if you tested for a ping to the DoorBird periodically, if it fails to respond then it is possible you have been compromised. (Or Fing scan spots a new device attached to your lan.
Another way would be to use one of the spare pairs in the cat5 for a tamper circuit (if you don't need the door release or lock circuits) and mount a micro switch such that when you open the doorbird it releases. You can then wire the other end to either a spare burglar alarm zone or a zwave door/window sensor and again you will get tamper notification.

It really depends on how much you think of the risk. My view is if you hardwire the network it would be all but the most determined hacker and if they really want to mess with my lights or look at my holiday snaps that much they will probably attack via my wifi instead with much less chance of being detected. I am sure you can do smart things with logical and physical LAN segmentation as well but that is witchcraft to me.

Thanks,
Neil

Posted on
Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:12 am
nanocoin offline

Thanks @berkinet. Great points, Neil. I'll check with my installer to see if we can detect disconnection of the DoorBird in real time and shut down that port. A tamper detect microswitch is a good idea too. Appreciate the quick and helpful feedback, guys!

Posted on
Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:38 am
berkinet offline

nano coin wrote:
...I'll check with my installer to see if we can detect disconnection of the DoorBird in real time and shut down that port. A tamper detect microswitch is a good idea too. Appreciate the quick and helpful feedback, guys!

I seriously doubt access to the Ethernet cable would present much of a security issue. My guess is anyone with the skills, knowledge that the entry phone was IP connected, knowledge of your home network and security/control system, knowledge of Ethernet and IP in general and sufficient motivation would probably find multiple ways into your home.

However, there is a more serious security issue present in the DoorBird: The entry control contacts. The DoorBird operates the gate or door latch directly by closing a set of dry contacts. Anyone who has access to the inside of the DoorBird, with the right knowledge, could just short the leads from the electric latch and open the door/gate. You can get around this by using the API to signal something inside your network (Indigo) and have Indigo operate the gate/.door by some independent means. If you then replace the Cat5 with Wi-Fi you have no security leaks in the entry system at all.

You might also want to look at DoorBird's BirdGuard, Netatmo Welcome or other similar product, to record all activity entering or exiting the door from inside your home.

Posted on
Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:08 am
kidney offline

It's compatible with security spy, does it mean that you could record a continuous stream from the camera and act as a security cam also?

Posted on
Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:00 pm
kidney offline

Did any of you guys had issue with getting the DoorBird on your network.

Nothing I do can make it get on my network wired.... But work fine on my WiFi?

Posted on
Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:42 pm
berkinet offline

kidney wrote:
Did any of you guys had issue with getting the DoorBird on your network....

I just plugged it in and it ran. Couple check the wiring of the RJ-45 connector - it would be pretty easy to get it wrong.

Posted on
Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:05 am
kidney offline

I use their network jack , tried a crossover cable and straight through into the switch and i just can't seem to see my dhcp server.

Posted on
Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:11 am
berkinet offline

kidney wrote:
I use their network jack , tried a crossover cable and straight through into the switch and i just can't seem to see my dhcp server.

IIRC on some models you have to connect leads from the network connector to the wiring sockets. You might try connecting the DB directly to the same hub your DHCP server is on with a known good cable. It also seems to me you cannot use Wi-Finand wired at the same time.