DoorBird Review

Posted on
Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:13 pm
berkinet offline

DoorBird Review

This is a review of the DoorBird remote entry communications system.

I have a home with a gate located around 80 meters, and out of view, from the house. For the past several years I have tried three different video communications systems. The first was an old black-and-white inter phone that worked fine until the audio fuzzed out. I then tried a mass-market color video-phone that supposedly could work over just 2-wires, and it barley lasted 3 months. The next effort was from a name brand (Legrand) company and also worked over a two wire connection. I had to run 2.5mm wire (like 10ga) and it lasted two years before the video died. This time I wanted to do it right, and besides getting a good quality picture, I wanted remote access via the Internet. I looked at the Ring andSkyBell after seeing them mentioned on this forum. Research on both the Ring and SkyBell left me a little underwhelmed and I had all but decided to just live with my, now audio only, system. But, after seeing the DoorBird, and in spite of it's price, I changed my mind and ordered one.

Here is what I found. The product is solid... I purchased the Stainless Steel (D201S) surface mount model (picture below) because it will be mounted in the open on a post and I was a little afraid of using plastic. However, all their models are exactly the same internally, they differ only in the case. The surface mount box for the D201 is nice and roomy so there is no trying to stuff lots of wires into the box and no need to cram the cover shut. Everything you could possibly need for a normal installation is required including scotchlock connectors and security screws with a matching screwdriver. Of course, in this price range it should be complete!

A test install in my house took under 5 minutes. The actual install at the gate took three days, but that was due to blocked buried conduits (I wanted to run ethernet/cat5e) and a host of other issues. The unit is fast to respond, has a high quality image and clear sound, though sound from the unit's speaker could be a tad louder.

Integrating with Indigo
The unit directly supports two output ports (simple switch closures) and one input port - to activate a gate or door opener remotely. Having the unit located at my gate made installation drop-dead easy, I just connected the gate control output to the gates input control. I used the second output for its intended purposed and installed a doorbell in the house that chimes when the DoorBird's button is pressed. This was really unnecessary since you can do everything with the app (Android and iOS) - but it got high WAF. Using these three interfaces and some simple I/O board connected to Indigo, you can immediately control the whole system with little work. With the Ring and SkyBell it looks like any integration is through their Cloud. So, to open my gate, a message would have to go up to the Cloud and back to something like Indigo, and then to the gate. I prefer simple.

There is also an API, which I have played with a little. But, I don't have the need of integrating it into Indigo for my purposes. However, for those of you who like deep integration, the following services are supported:
  1. See live video (no audio)
  2. Grab a live image (jpg)
  3. Open the door
  4. Turn on the Infrared LEDs
  5. Grab an image from the devices internal history
  6. Subscribe to events: doorbell|motionsensor|dooropen (more on this below)
  7. Open a live rtsp video stream
It is not clear how the notifications are sent, and I haven't tried using them yet. Though I assume it would be in JSON in the open web link. However, from the html5 web widget you can also subscribe to events and receive notifications in the Notification center, via sound alert, and in the video frame. SIP is also technically supported, though it is only available to developers. I assume the video , and certainly stills, can be integrated into a control page. But, that doesn't really interest me and I probably won't spend much tim looking into it.

FWIW, tech support is by email, and very prompt. Though, you might have to ask your question a few times if you want some particular detailed technical bit of information.

Highlights: Very high quality, local connections, API, responsive support
Downside: The Price.
Attachments
portier-ip-doorbird-d201-montage-en-saillie.jpg
portier-ip-doorbird-d201-montage-en-saillie.jpg (22.29 KiB) Viewed 16678 times

Posted on
Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:57 pm
berkinet offline

Re: DoorBird Review

berkinet wrote:
It is not clear how the notifications are sent, and I haven't tried using them yet. Though I assume it would be in JSON in the open web link.

And, the answer is: You include a URL in the Notification subscription and the DoorBird will call the URL with a GET command if the event occurs. So, it would be possible to create an Indigo plugin that listened for DoorBird events. What you do after thai is...

Posted on
Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:15 pm
akimball offline

Nice review... with a profile like that mounted on a wood or stucco surface, I'd be tempted to router out a pocket and embed the doorbell at least 50% into the post/wall/whatever... then run a bead of weatherstripping around it (leave 1/8" all the way around for this). Might make it that much more difficult to pry off the wall.

I'll be looking at one of these for my back porch. How is the night time image? I'm asking because the night time images from the Skybell are so good. I've included some Skybell samples (reduced in resolution for posting purposes... the originals go clear off the page):

IMG_2892.PNG
Skybell Daytime, about midday.
IMG_2892.PNG (77.03 KiB) Viewed 16655 times

IMG_2890.PNG
Skybell Nighttime (with porch light)
IMG_2890.PNG (91.05 KiB) Viewed 16655 times

IMG_2889.PNG
Skybell Nighttime (dim hue porch light at 5%)
IMG_2889.PNG (79.71 KiB) Viewed 16655 times

Thanks again for the review and I'd be interested in any picture quality samples although I could get these online if you'd rather not.

-Al

Posted on
Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:56 pm
whmoorejr offline

Awesome write-up. Your research really pushed me over the edge with which device to purchase.

Bill
My Plugin: My People

Posted on
Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:19 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Thanks for the review! I've been vacillating on getting a door camera because the lack of integration and generally mediocre reviews - this was the only device I found that got pretty good reviews consistently.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:47 pm
hamw offline

Nice review. I purchased a doorbell camera which was less expensive and sounded promising, as it also did not require cloud integration or additional charges. However, the lag time is unacceptable, the two-way communication is flaky and it does not have true infrared, just a light, so it does not show things at night until the doorbell is pressed. Furthermore. It is RTSP only so there is no HTTP snapshot that can be displayed on an indigo control page.

Regarding your unit, when the doorbell is rung, what is a lag time following your notification, then opening the app to view the video feed? When you press the microphone button, is there a lag in voice transmission and does the audio reception ever overlap? Finally, I suppose that has http snapshot capability for indigo integration?
Last edited by hamw on Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:48 pm
neilk offline

Hi,
I have the polycarbonate version and echo the review. My observations and integration effort is as follows :-

- I have modified a script Karl wrote for Roomba to forward the notification requests as I could not get digest authentication to work. This triggers a dlink zwave siren and is insantaneous. It notifies on motion, bell and on the door open button being pressed in the app.
- On motion and doorbell I capture a jpeg and expose it on a control page as well as refreshing a local copy of the 20 history images stored on the door bird. (Via http)
- I will post the scripts soon for anyone interested and think the effort to make a plugin would not be huge for someone with more skill than me (but I may try)

On the unit itself audio quality is good even over cellular, the notifications are extremely quick. Video quality is good and I also capture the RTSP via blue iris and that is rock solid as well. My unit is POE connected not wifi though.

I will work to post the scripts and a "how to" over the coming days. On the whole a quality device with good support and solid German engineering.

Neil

Posted on
Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:59 am
berkinet offline

kimball, hamw and neilk all wrote:

First, kimball wrote:
... I'd be tempted to router out a pocket and embed the doorbell at least 50% into the post/wall/whatever... then run a bead of weatherstripping around it...

I would have loved to embed it to some extent. But, as you can see, that was not an option. BTW, if you order the flush mount version the case back is a lighter weight material more suitable for embedding in a wall.
face.JPG
Face View
face.JPG (288.11 KiB) Viewed 16474 times
side.JPG
Side View
side.JPG (455.76 KiB) Viewed 16474 times

kimball also wrote:
...How is the night time image?

Here are 4 views: Day, Night with one street lamp, night with the street lamp and a (5 watt LED) garden light (shining up on a tree) and night infrared. The night images are at a lower resolution because the server thought I was logged in more than 2 times. I need to get that worked out on Monday. Note that the area outside my gate is fairly dark and the pictures are all usable. Though not nearly as nice as theSkyBird's - though it had much better lighting.
day.jpg
Day
day.jpg (129.24 KiB) Viewed 16474 times
night.jpg
Night
night.jpg (105.35 KiB) Viewed 16474 times
night-plus.jpg
Night with entry light
night-plus.jpg (105.18 KiB) Viewed 16474 times
night-bw.jpg
night B&W
night-bw.jpg (86.59 KiB) Viewed 16474 times

and then, hamw wrote:
... [my unit] does not show things at night until the doorbell is pressed. ...Regarding your unit, when the doorbell is rung, what is a lag time following your notification, then opening the app to view the video feed? When you press the microphone button, is there a lag in voice transmission and does the audio reception ever overlap? Finally, I suppose that has http snapshot capability for indigo integration?

The DoorBird has a potentially very useful feature, a PIR motion sensor. I say potentially because it is currently too sensitive for my location and I can't use it to generate notifications. But, I do have it turned on and it actually captures a jpg of every car that passes, day and night.

The lag between button press on the DoorBird and notification is 1 or 2 seconds. However, the actual connection takes a little longer. The Door Open button appears first, maybe 5 seconds after notification and the talk button right after that. Video is a little slower, maybe 10 seconds delayed. A lot seems to depend on the connectivity, 3G is slower, 4G is next and LAN connectivity is fastest. I suspect there may be some problems with my link to the "cloud" caused when I switched IP addresses for the unit in my DHCP server. It seems to still think there are connections that are actually not there. This definitely degrades video quality, and seems to affect speed of response as well. Once audio is established it has fairly low latency, about what you'd expect for VOiP. Not perfect, but more than good enough to talk to the FedEx agent. More news as I sort out thesis issues.

and, finally, neilk wrote:
...I will work to post the scripts and a "how to" over the coming days. ...

Please do post the scripts and your notes.

Posted on
Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:05 pm
neilk offline

Here you go, this is based on my minimal skills and by hacking other peoples work, If I get the time I will try and package this into a plugin as much for the exercise of learning as anything else.

Initial Setup

I run a script that creates a dedicated web server in python that receives the three notifications that the DoorBird generates. This was based on the Roomba script that Karl posted that I modified for this purpose (many thanks to Karl). This was necessary as the doorbird API only supports simple authentication not digest and is my crude workaround. Note this allows the three events to be triggered without authentication, so be careful if you use any port forwarding and at your own risk. The triggering URL becomes, with your choice of port hard coded in the script.

Code: Select all
http://<indigo server ip address>:<port>/motion.html – when motion is triggered
http://<indigo server ip address>:<port>/doorbell.html – when the doorbell has been pushed
http://<indigo server ip address>:<port>/button.html – when the door open button has been pressed in the app

To set the notification URL on the DoorBird, you need to enter the following. (I needed to use Chrome as this failed in safari). I used one of the online url encoding tools to do the encoding for my specific URL’s

http://<doorbird%20user>:<doorbird%20pass>@<doorbird%20ip>/bha-api/notification.cgi?url=<encoded%20url%20from%20above%20for%20the%20event>%20&user=&password=&event=<event%20%20-%20one%20of%20doorbell,%20motionsensor,%20dooropen>&subscribe=1

You can also check the configuration by opening the following url

http://<doorbird ip>/bha-api/notification.cgi?

I then created three action groups that run on the three events. The ID’s for the three groups need to be inserted into the forwarding server script.

The doorbell ring action group triggers the doorbell sound on a DLink Z Wave Siren (using raw Z wave commands). I also run a script that captures the doorbell image into a subdirectory of the user (under home as ~/doorbirdfwd/images). Each image is timestamped as well as maintaining a link to “currentdoorbellimage.jpg” that I expose on a control page. In my case I also do a Sonos group announcement of a doorbell sound mp3. After a 5 min delay another script runs that refreshes the 20 images that the doorbird stores of the last bell pushes (which I also show on a control page). The delay is to allow the intercom conversation to complete.

The motion action group is similar but this simply captures the current image (the doorbird API does not currently support the extraction of the motion triggered images even though the app does). This will be slightly delayed and will not be synchronised with the actual trigger of the motion detector but in my case it is close enough. It saves a timestamped image and maintains a symbolic link to “currentmotionimage.jpg” which is also shown on a control page.

I also created triggers to auto start the python web server on indigo startup as well as an action group to a modified version of Karls script that kills it if it has any problems.

I also have the RTSP stream from the doorbird recording into BlueIris and that works extremely well. I am sure it would also work with other tools like security spy, and that works with the url in the DoorBird API.

The delay from the doorbird for the Z wave siren is minimal, the Sonos announcement takes a second or two to work.

The API also has the ability to remotely trigger the doorlock relay that can be actuated by the doorbird itself simply by calling the appropriate URL.

DoorBird Fowarding Server Script – doorbirdserver.py

# by Karl Wachs
# July 16
# modified for DoorBird by NeilK
##
import datetime, subprocess, os, time, urlparse
from BaseHTTPServer import BaseHTTPRequestHandler, HTTPServer
PORT = 8009                  ## port number to be used by DoorBird on IndigoServer to GET url's defined in the API

# See DoorBird API at www.doorbird.com/api to set the URL to get based on the action for /motion.html , /doorbell.html , /button.html

class S(BaseHTTPRequestHandler):
    def _set_headers(self):
        self.send_response(200)
        self.send_header('Content-type', 'text/html')
        self.end_headers()

def do_GET(self):
        self._set_headers()
        self.wfile.write("<html><body><h1>Indigo DoorBird Forwarding</h1>"+str(self.path)+"</body>")
        if self.path=="/motion.html":
           indigo.server.log( "DoorBird sent motion command")
           indigo.actionGroup.execute(1756507149) # "DoorBirdMotion" Action Group to run when DoorBird motion sensor triggered

if self.path=="/button.html":
           indigo.server.log( "DoorBird sent Button command")
          indigo.actionGroup.execute(1630756004) # "DoorBirdButton" Action Group to run when pressing the open button in the app

if self.path=="/doorbell.html":
           indigo.server.log( "DoorBird sent doorbell command")
           indigo.actionGroup.execute(1427726874) # "DoorBirdRing" Action Group to run on the DoorBird ring.

def do_HEAD(self):
        self._set_headers()

def do_POST(self):
        # Doesn't do anything with posted data
        self._set_headers()
        self.wfile.write("<html><body><h1>POST!</h1></body></html>")

def run(server_class=HTTPServer, handler_class=S, port=PORT):
    server_address = ('', port)
    httpd = server_class(server_address, handler_class)
    indigo.server.log( "Starting DoorBird httpd..."+"Port...."+str(PORT))
    httpd.serve_forever()       

def killOldPgm(myPID,pgmToKill):
        cmd= "ps -ef | grep "+pgmToKill+" | grep -v grep"
        ret = subprocess.Popen(cmd,shell=True,stdout=subprocess.PIPE,stderr=subprocess.PIPE).communicate()[0]
        lines=ret.split("\n")
        for line in lines:
            if len(line) < 10: continue
            line=line.split()
            pid=int(line[1])
            if pid == int(myPID): continue
            os.system("kill -9 "+str(pid))
            indigo.server.log( "killed program: "+pgmToKill+" pid="+str(pid))
            time.sleep(5)

if __name__ == "__main__":

myPID = str(os.getpid())
    indigo.server.log(" PID of DoorBird server is:" +myPID  )
    print(myPID)
    killOldPgm(myPID,"doorbirdserver.py")

# Create the server, binding on port xxx
    #server = SocketServer.TCPServer((ipAddress, PORT), MyTCPHandler)

# Activate the server; this will keep running until you
    # interrupt the program with Ctrl-C
    #server.serve_forever()
    run()

DoorBell Ring Image Capture Script (runs as part of the action group when the button is pushed), expects a directory under the indigo users home directory “~/doorbirdfwd/images”

#!/usr/bin/python
userID="<doorbird user name>"
passWD="<doorbird password>"
ipNumber="<doorbird ip>"
import subprocess
import time
from os.path import expanduser
#homeDir=expanduser("~")
imagePath=expanduser("~")+"/doorbirdfwd/images"
timestr = time.strftime("%Y%m%d-%H%M%S")
ret = subprocess.Popen("curl -u "+userID+":"+passWD+" http://"+ipNumber+"/bha-api/history.cgi?index=1 -o "+imagePath+"/"+timestr+"doorbellimage"+".jpg", shell=True, stdout=subprocess.PIPE, stderr=subprocess.PIPE).communicate()
ret2 = subprocess.Popen("ln -f "+imagePath+"/"+timestr+"doorbellimage"+".jpg "+imagePath+"/currentdoorbellimage.jpg", shell=True, stdout=subprocess.PIPE, stderr=subprocess.PIPE).communicate()
indigo.server.log("DoorBird Image "+timestr+" Capture Done")

Motion Image Script (same as the doorbell version but uses a different URL to capture the current image). This is run by the action group from the motion trigger.

#!/usr/bin/python
ipNumber="<doorbird ip>"
import subprocess
import time
ret = subprocess.Popen("curl -u "+userID+":"+passWD+" http://"+ipNumber+"/bha-api/image.cgi -o "+imagePath+"/"+timestr+"motionimage"+".jpg", shell=True, stdout=subprocess.PIPE, stderr=subprocess.PIPE).communicate()
ret2 = subprocess.Popen("ln -f "+imagePath+"/"+timestr+"motionimage"+".jpg "+imagePath+"/currentmotionimage.jpg", shell=True, stdout=subprocess.PIPE, stderr=subprocess.PIPE).communicate()
indigo.server.log("DoorBird Image "+timestr+" Capture Done")

This script Captures all 20 doorbell images stored on the doorbird, run as a delayed action after the doorbell has rung in the doorbell action group. I haven’t tried but actually probably more elegant to get these directly from the control page using the url for each image, but I like having the local copy.

#!/usr/bin/python
ipNumber="<doorbird ip>"
import subprocess
import time
for x in range(1, 21):
   ret = subprocess.Popen("curl -u "+userID+":"+passWD+" http://"+ipNumber+"/bha-api/history.cgi?index="+str(x)+" -o "+imagePath+"/historyimage"+str(x)+".jpg", shell=True, stdout=subprocess.PIPE, stderr=subprocess.PIPE).communicate()
   #ret2 = subprocess.Popen("ln -f "+imagePath+"/"+timestr+"historyimage"+str(x)+".jpg "+imagePath+"/historyimage"+str(x)+".jpg", shell=True, stdout=subprocess.PIPE, stderr=subprocess.PIPE).communicate()
   indigo.server.log("DoorBird Image "+str(x)+" Refresh Done")
indigo.server.log("DoorBird refresh "+timestr+" Done "+imagePath)

Finally the kill script that runs from an action group as embedded python. (again from Karl)

import subprocess
pgmToKill="doorbirdserver.py"
cmd= "ps -ef | grep "+pgmToKill+" | grep -v grep"
ret = subprocess.Popen(cmd,shell=True,stdout=subprocess.PIPE,stderr=subprocess.PIPE).communicate()[0]
lines=ret.split("\n")
for line in lines:
    if len(line) < 10: continue
    line=line.split()
    pid=int(line[1])
    os.system("kill -9 "+str(pid))
    indigo.server.log( "killed program: "+pgmToKill+" pid="+str(pid))

Anyway good luck and if it works great, and if I can help I will. I may have limited time online over the next week or so.

Thanks,
Neil

Posted on
Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:04 am
jens offline

Got my door bird last week, will install it next week :)
//jens

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:17 am
berkinet offline

neilk wrote:
Here you go, this is based on my minimal skills and by hacking other peoples work, If I get the time I will try and package this into a plugin as much for the exercise of learning as anything else....

Many thanks for posting. I am not sure there is much actual feature benefit from creating a plugin from these scripts. The main advantage of a plugin would be ease of installation and configuration... you could use dialog windows to set port numbers, actions, etc. However, as you note, learning is a benefit all on it's own.

And, a question. Is there a reason you chose to use the Z-Wave Siren rather than just connecting the Electric door chime contacts to an I/O-Linc or similar I/O device? In my case, I actually bought a (very retro) doorbell (I.e. Ding Dong) and used it - but, I believe in simplicity (and high WAF).

Posted on
Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:01 am
neilk offline

Hi,
On the plugin issue you are right the only real advantage is ease of configuration but it is not really complex. I may well still have a go just for fun. On the chime it is just that the existing doorbell button was actually wired as a zone on my DSC alarm as I picked up a pair from the existing alarm cable and it was just easier cable wise, and the chime itself is attached to a PGM output on the alarm (as well as sending a pushover notification and playing the sonos announcement on my garden speakers). The cable route for the Cat 5 doesn't lend itself to attaching a chime directly to the doorbird as it goes into my garage and I already had the z wave siren and the PGM output is sometimes laggy through the plugin. The WAF factor on this was pretty high, but she is used to me and quite likes HA anyway, and this does simplify things (she needed to view the stream in the blue iris app and saw the back of the persons head after getting the notification). I was having some reliability issues but in the end it looks like it was the simple bell push button contacts corroded. Anyway that justified the upgrade in my mind, as I only spotted that when I installed the DoorBird.
Thanks,
Neil

Posted on
Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:45 am
jens offline

Hi,

Anyone can help me get into API for push to Action group and also the opening of the door in another Action Group

Have myself managed to get the live streaming in my indigo, but then it took end with my luck ... :(

//Jens

Posted on
Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:09 am
berkinet offline

jens wrote:
...Anyone can help me get into API for push to Action group and also the opening of the door in another Action Group...

Take a look at@neilk's earlier post in this thread. The main things you need to do are:
  1. Subscribe to doorbell events on the DoorBird
  2. Start a web server in an Indigo Python script to receive the events and trigger your action

However, since the DoorBird has a contact closure designed to operate a door or gate system I am not sure why you wouldn't just use that simple and direct mechanism. Routing the signal from the DoorBird through Indigo and then out to the gate adds several points of failure in the circuit greatly increasing the chances of failure in an important function. You can still use the events to have Indigo turn on lights,grab a picture, etc. But, even there, the DoorBird provides an output to a regular "Ding Dong" door bell and you can easily monitor that with any kind of I/O device.

After studying the system for a while, I came to the conclusion that the only events of real interest were motion events. As noted above, the "Doorbell pressed" event is available on the doorbell contact and I didn't see any use for the input button (which would allow me to operate the DoorBird remotely).

BTW, I offered @neilk a few changes to his scripts and I'd be glad to share them with you as well. Mostly simplification and removal of unused code.
Last edited by berkinet on Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:41 am
jens offline

Hello,
The only thing i whant now is when you puch the open key in app activating an actiongroup in indigo, is it posible (have no more wires so cant do it the normal way :( )

//Jens