PowerLinc 2413U not working when Learning Remote does

Posted on
Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:14 pm
wi_pedaler offline

PowerLinc 2413U not working when Learning Remote does

Configuration:
    - New home (2015) with 200A service (2 legs), Square D breakers (some of the breakers are CAFCI models - arc-fault*)
    - ACT-Solutions CP000 1:1 passive coupler installed in breaker box
    - PowerLink 2413U, V2.0 (<1 year old), plugged directly into out.et
    - Indigo 6.1.7 running in iMac, OS 10.11.3, plugged into power strip which is plugged into an AF120 plug-in filter

History:
    - Moved to new home in October. Last house was well-tuned for lighting automation. Learned that I needed the AF120 to isolate the iMac, and the CP000 coupler to bridge across the two legs of the 200A service. Indigo had been running at that house since version 1 in 2004.
    - Installed CP000 coupler in breaker box, and Indigo signals still were not reaching some outlets. Decided to test by plugging in a wireless transceiver module, an appliance module, and using an old gray Learning Remote to turn on/off. The transceiver is plugged into the same room (circuit) as the PowerLinc.
    - The remote was able to activate the appliance module in most rooms - I could hear the click - and based on the breaker layout, the outlets represent both legs of the electrical service. [assumption: the CP000 is working]
    - Indigo's Activity log shows the on/off actions requested by the RF remote.
    - However, trying to activate the module using Indigo, only a few of the locations (circuits) seemed to respond. The lamp module in the same room as the PowerLinc responds, as does the appliance module in the kitchen.

Question:
>> Are there any recommendations for further troubleshooting?
I'm at a loss as to why the RF remote can operate a module in many places around the house, but the PowerLinc cannot, especially when plugged into the same circuit.

* From Home Depot, for the Homeline 20 Amp Single-Pole CAFCI Circuit Breaker (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D-Hom ... /202353306)
"The Square D by Schneider Electric Homeline 20 Amp One-Pole Combination Arc-Fault Circuit Interrupting (CAFCI) Circuit Breaker is for use to help protect your wires from arcing faults and is intended for overload and short-circuits protection of your electrical system. "

Posted on
Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:00 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: PowerLinc 2413U not working when Learning Remote does

You've got a few different things going on here, but the simple answer to your question is that the signal path is different, and possibly the signal strength is different.

The path you care about is from the transceiver to the actual device (regardless of the RF part). So if the transceiver is at a different location than the PowerLinc, then any signal issues will be different. Also, the transceiver may be sending a stronger signal than the PowerLinc, thus it gets through any signal noise better than the PowerLinc does.

X10 is really hard to debug because the protocol is fundamentally not 2-way. That's just going to make it more difficult to track down the source of the signal loss/noise. The signal troubleshooting page may provide some more ideas.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:26 am
wi_pedaler offline

Thanks, Jay. Just following up on this post since the original has all the house and Indigo/PowerLinc config details.

We have installed exterior lights and I would like to control them.
Given that from prior experiments, power line signals are very unreliable in this house, what would the community recommend with regard to an on/off switch, located in the garage, to control the five LEDs? Ideally, I would also like to be able to check the status of that switch, and control it from a smartphone.

A reminder that I have a PowerLinc 2413U connected to iMac running Indigo.

Posted on
Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:17 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Z-Wave... ;)

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:00 pm
wi_pedaler offline

Thank You!

Just received a Z-Stick Gen 5 and two GE In-wall Wireless Smart Switches. Bought on Amazon.
Once installed, adding the two switches to the Z-Stick was a breeze (press, then click, then plug in the stick).
Getting reliable on/off even with one switch in the garage at the far end of the house.

Where can I buy more for a good price?

Page 1 of 1