Sonos Hardware Downgrades

Posted on
Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:27 am
DaveL17 offline

Sonos Hardware Downgrades

I considered posting this in the Sonos plugin forum, but it doesn't have anything to do with the plugin.

I recently grabbed a IKEA Symfonisk bookshelf speaker (e1801 gen 1) off eBay to add to my system. At first, I couldn't include it because it had been upgraded to the S2 firmware (I run S1 due to some very old equipment that I want to keep using) and I had a minor panic. However, It is possible to downgrade the firmware of these units, but it's not exactly straightforward. I can't speak to downgrading other hardware, but this process works for the e1801 gen 1 units.

1. Factory reset the speaker by holding down the play/pause button while plugging it in. Hold the button until the light blinks orange. It will flash green when the reset is done.
  2. Install the Sonos S2 app and register it if needed.
  3. When you're asked to Set up or Join a system, press More options at the bottom of the screen.
  4. Downgrade product to S1.
  5. Once the downgrade process is complete, close the S2 app and open the S1 app and add the device like usual.

This is also outlined in the Sonos Support documents.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:58 am
siclark offline

Re: Sonos Hardware Downgrades

Interesting. I run a mix of very old sonos gear so have to use S1 app and the newer products such as Sonos Beam and Move and also work with that on S1 app.
I wonder what’s different with the IKEA stuff.

Posted on
Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:07 am
DaveL17 offline

Re: Sonos Hardware Downgrades

siclark wrote:
Interesting. I run a mix of very old sonos gear so have to use S1 app and the newer products such as Sonos Beam and Move and also work with that on S1 app.
I wonder what’s different with the IKEA stuff.

As my dad used to say, "I haven't the foggiest." I've been too chicken to buy any of the new hardware for fear that I wouldn't be able to use it.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Page 1 of 1