Any Opinions onIKEA Under Cabinet Lighting?

Posted on
Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:09 pm
DaveL17 offline

Re: Any Opinions onIKEA Under Cabinet Lighting?

My pleasure. The kitchen is more of a rehab, but we're really happy with how it's turning out.

With this, we're saying goodbye (good riddance) to the timeless design stylings of 1993.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:11 am
DaveL17 offline

I wrote:
I suspect that we'll be running these at something like 20% brightness at night.

I was wrong. We're running these things at 5%. All lights together are pulling a total of 0.9W.

I've added a Armacost Lighting 224411 Wafer Puck Light 4,000K down-light inside the single glass-front cabinet. I'm happy with the quality of light, but it's not the greatest form factor to use in this application because you can see the light through the gap between the two doors. In hindsight, I would opt for a 45º channel pointing towards the rear of the cabinet. I think these would make good candidates for under-cabinet lights. I have the in-cabinet light wired in parallel with the over lights, but I may try switching to an unused color channel so it can be independently controlled. Leaving as is for now.

I'm making some 18" channel lights with "scrap" from the project that will replace two existing 3,000K under-cabinet units (t's remarkable how much difference 1,000K makes). That'll use up just about all of the two strings of lights and I have around 3 feet of channel left. I plan to make those two lights on manual dimming switches -- Sensky 12V 24V DC Touch On/Off Sensor Switch Touch Dimmer Switch. I have the switches, but haven't tried them out yet.

Posted on
Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:42 am
ryanbuckner offline

I'm getting ready to do the exact same thing. 1996 --> 2023 kitchen. Can you share what kind of power you installed and where you put them? I'm thinking about hue strips or something similar because I already have the hub. But I'd like to keep my options open on the type of lights.

Posted on
Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:40 am
DaveL17 offline

ryanbuckner wrote:
I'm getting ready to do the exact same thing. 1996 --> 2023 kitchen. Can you share what kind of power you installed and where you put them? I'm thinking about hue strips or something similar because I already have the hub. But I'd like to keep my options open on the type of lights.

For my project I ran mains power to the top of the kitchen cabinets as a part of our remodel. From there, I use two bog-standard 12v power supplies; the LED suppliers all carry them for about US$10 each. These are plenty to power two Zooz RGBW controller devices and all the LED strips. Obviously, it's important to ensure that the power supplies can handle the entire load. Everything is kept on top of the cabinets.

Posted on
Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:26 am
ryanbuckner offline

Thanks. I'll have them wire the power for the strips . Appreciate it