Any Opinions onIKEA Under Cabinet Lighting?

Posted on
Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:27 pm
DaveL17 offline

Any Opinions onIKEA Under Cabinet Lighting?

We want to update our under cabinet lighting and I'm looking at IKEA MITTLED and SKYDRAG lines (US only) . I'd like to control them with Indigo using Aeon lamp modules. As I understand it, the lights require an ANSLUTA or TRÅDFRI driver, so I won't be able to dim them with the Aeon units (on/off only). I'm also not particularly interested in controlling the TRÅDFRI with a bridge/hub. I could roll my own lights, but the IKEA stuff looks very appealing from a cost perspective.

- Do the TRÅDFRI units remember their dimming level when switched at the mains?

- Does anyone have experience with these lights and would you recommend them?

- Has anyone hacked the either strip to drive them with another power supply?

Thanks in advance!

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:12 pm
DaveL17 offline

Re: Any Opinions onIKEA Under Cabinet Lighting?

Hearing none, here's what I've got so far. I'll add as I go.

Total cost was about US$110 (incl tax). All lights are 2,700k white lights (the color below refers to the device itself). My first impression is that these are good value and I think I'd be hard-pressed to make this stuff from scratch for less money.

TRÅDFRI Driver for Wireless Control
[30w output, gray, Works with IKEA Home Smart #603.426.61 US$35.00]
The power supply for the MITTLED and SKYDRAG lights. Excludes the ANSLUTA power cable (which is required).
  • During testing, the driver remembered the dimming level when power was removed and restored for about 24 hours. This seems that it will work with a power relay to control on/off. No guarantees and YMMV.
  • Dimming with the remote works well. The lowest dimming level is not zero, and probably closer to something like 10-15%.
  • The power connections for up to 9 lights are keyed so you can't screw up the polarity.
  • Apparently, these drivers can be daisy-chained, although I haven't looked into that.

ANSLUTA Power Cord
[11' 6" (3.5m), white #301.214.11 US$7.00]
Required for the TRÅDFRI driver/power supply. Includes an in-line rocker switch and an integrated clip to hold it in place.

TRÅDFRI Wireless Dimmer Remote
[Works with IKEA Home Smart, Comes with CR2032 battery, white #104.085.98 US$8.99]
  • The remote works well. Press for on/off, press/hold for dim up/down.
  • The remote was easy to pair (reading the manual is a good idea.)

MITTLED Kitchen Countertop Lighting Strip
[Dimmable, 12" (30.5cm), 3.3w, 2700k, white, (includes "T" connector and mounting hardware / excludes driver, power cable and connector cable.) #904.725.14 US$16.99]
  • I don't know how I missed it, but the MITTLED also doesn't come with a connector cable (which is clearly reflected on the box). This lack of cable is completely understandable, as these units are meant to be daisy-chained together and over a long run would result in a bunch of unused cables. It was fortunate that I grabbed a VÅGDAL cable, otherwise, I wouldn't have been able to test the MITTLED.
  • I vastly prefer the form factor of the MITTLED over the SKYDRAG. However; the light from the MITTLED is more muted than the SKYDRAG.
  • Nine of these strips will max out one 30w driver.

MITTLED LED Spotlight
[Dimmable, 3" (7.6cm), 150 lumens, 2.2w, 2,700k, white, (excludes driver and power cable.) #404.536.45 US$12.99]
This is the only light I've tested so far. It's slated to go inside a glass front cabinet.
  • The dimming works well; it's an incremental dim (not smooth). Not an issue for our install which will be set and forget.

SKYDRAG Countertop Light Strip with Sensor
[Dimmable, White, 12" (30.5cm), 2.7w, 160 lumens, 2,700k, white, (includes mounting hardware / excludes driver and power cable.) #004.791.62 US$16.99]
  • Unlike the MITTLED, the SKYDRAG has an integrated power cable.
  • The SKYDRAG also has a built-in motion sensor (which based on my reading doesn't work all that well, but I haven't tested it personally). For over-cabinet lighting, would be a waste.
  • I vastly prefer the form factor of the MITTLED over the SKYDRAG.
  • The light from the SKYDRAG is brighter than the MITTLED. The SKYDRAG comes with additional mounting options for other IKEA furniture (like shelving units) and for our purposes would be waste.

VÅGDAL Connection Cord
[11' 6" (3.5m), white #704.636.00 US$5.00]
A simple extension cable for the LED strips, puck lights, etc. Not sure I will need this, but it was only five bucks.

IMG_5480.jpg
IMG_5480.jpg (192.76 KiB) Viewed 273 times

IMG_5481.jpg
IMG_5481.jpg (201.13 KiB) Viewed 258 times
Last edited by DaveL17 on Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:48 am, edited 5 times in total.

Posted on
Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:36 am
DaveL17 offline

UPDATE 2:

Everything out of the boxes and connected. Additional details on the MITTLED and SKYDRAG strips. Another photo.

Posted on
Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:49 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Thanks for sharing this write-up. I'm going to start looking into LED cabinet lighting soon. I kind-of would like color control, but I like the pricing you posted above for the IDEA line.

Posted on
Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:50 pm
DaveL17 offline

My pleasure.

I know that IKEA has color, but that wasn't our interest (so I didn't look very deeply into those). I was focused on 2,700-3,00k white dimmable.

Posted on
Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:43 am
DaveL17 offline

Another update.

The driver remembered the dimming level after roughly 24 hours of no power. Very encouraging.

The dimming level doesn't go down to zero, and stops at something like 10-15%.

Posted on
Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:28 am
neilk offline

I know you mentioned the desire to avoid a hub, but just an FYI I have a three Hue Hubs and lots of Hue Bulbs, and a number of Ikea bulbs that are controlled via Zigbee2MQTT running on a PI, and it is much more solid than pairing them with the Hue Hub. It is a little work to set them up especially when you have 15 Gu10 bulbs in a room but once setup it works really well with one of these.

https://electrolama.com/projects/zig-a-zig-ah/

Not sure about worldwide frequency etc, and this is a UK based seller but much better range than the Philips hubs.

Hope you are enjoying the break !

Neil

Posted on
Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:52 pm
DaveL17 offline

Appreciate the feedback, but (as you noted) this is something I'd like to avoid. For us, once the light strips are installed, they'll be set to the desired dimming level and then (hopefully) never touched again. All we need is on/off.

Great information to consider nonetheless. Thanks for sharing!

Posted on
Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:43 pm
ryanbuckner offline

Dave, if it's not too intrusive, would you mind posting a picture of the finished product? I'm considering a full kitchen redo soon and over/under cabinet lights will be a consideration

Posted on
Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:00 pm
DaveL17 offline

I'll be happy to share whatever we land on. It looks like we're going to reuse our old over-cabinet lights because the IKEA units don't dim enough for us. I think we're going to use the MITTLED puck lights for everything else--one under each cabinet and one inside the glass-front unit.

I don't think it's going to be super inspiring, but I'll show my work. :lol:

Page 1 of 1