Smart light strips vs dumb + smart controller advice

Posted on
Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:30 am
siclark offline

Smart light strips vs dumb + smart controller advice

As the title says, I need 2 runs of approx 4m of led strips in my wardrobe (although solution might be extended elsewhere).

Looking at the sales, there are offers on both Hue and Innr light strips. Innr comes with mains led driver, rather than plug socket which looks better, but cant be cut and joined. Can Hue be connected direct to mains lighting circuit or. a dumb led driver?

My other thought was to buy a zigbee led driver and use that to power a standard LED strip.

Any thoughts or advice? I think its mainly for colour tuning white strips as need to match the existing lighting.

Cheers, Simon.

Posted on
Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:18 am
cesarvog offline

Re: Smart light strips vs dumb + smart controller advice

Having used both Hue Lightship (first gen. no white leds) and Hue Lightstrip Plus (with warm and cold white leds), [both zigbee] and also Aeotec RGBW LED Strip ZW121 Lightstrips [zwave], I'm biased against the Phillips Hue lights. Even though they work nicely with the Hue Lights Plugin, there is a noticeable difference in the colors put out by the Hues when side by side with the Aeotec. It's probably something related with the gamut A, B, or C, but I definitively lack the knowledge needed to understand these things. The Hues also cost an arm and a leg and come in shorter strips.

I have not tried any of the several Chinese brands like GLEDOPTO or lesser known, but I see no reason why you should pay extra dough for the Hues and end up with shorter strips.

My 2 cents.

Posted on
Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:22 am
siclark offline

Cheers.. yes that was why I was tempted with generic zigbee controller (I actually use hubitat for zigbee not the hue hub) and so I can then buy my own led strips.

Posted on
Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:43 am
rehafer offline

I buy ‘Magic Home’ controllers with the Flux LED plugin. I connect them to HomeKit via a separate Homebridge instance because they don’t play nice with HKB. If you buy LEDs by the reel, much cheaper than major brand models.
I generally use short runs (2-4’) for accent lighting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:33 pm
siclark offline

No idea why I didn’t think zwave. So much of my setup recently has been on zigbee I forgot zwave drivers most of my house and fibsro do great led strip controllers.

Posted on
Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:38 pm
ryanbuckner offline

Would you mind providing some links for the hardware you needed to enable this?

I have this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XJVQHPV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1 reel of lights and I'd really like to be able to control them and leave the infrared remote working as well.

Posted on
Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:41 am
rehafer offline

I use https://www.amazon.com/gp/your-account/ ... =Ut2k3tHTv
No power supply included and no IR, but inexpensive.

Posted on
Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:02 am
siclark offline

ryanbuckner wrote:

I have this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XJVQHPV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1 reel of lights and I'd really like to be able to control them and leave the infrared remote working as well.
ryanbuckner wrote:

These look like they have their own controller and remote so short of using a IR emitter I’m not sure you will be able to control with Indigo.

The easiest way to get control in indigo is with a dumb led strip and a smart controller that indigo can control. Either a zwave one like a fibaro led module that indigo can control directly or a zigbee one that you need to use either Hue, zigbee usb stick or Hubitat to control from indigo plug-in.

Posted on
Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:05 am
rehafer offline

When installed in the Magic Home app, they each have their own IP address, can be controlled with the Flux LED plugin.

Posted on
Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:32 am
ryanbuckner offline

rehafer wrote:
I use https://www.amazon.com/gp/your-account/ ... =Ut2k3tHTv
No power supply included and no IR, but inexpensive.

Thanks your link is pointing to your personal account history. Can you post a public link ?

Posted on
Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:31 pm
rehafer offline

Maybe this one will work

https://www.amazon.com/Controller-Wirel ... 144&sr=8-3

Posted on
Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:18 am
rehafer offline

I should mention that these are 4 pin controllers for RGB strips; 5 pin versions exist for RGBW strips.

Page 1 of 1