Text Messaging Options

Posted on
Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:02 pm
CraigM offline

Text Messaging Options

I'm looking to move away from Indigo email alerts to a text message based solution.

Please help point me to which of our plugins you prefer, and why.

Thanks

Posted on
Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:23 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Text Messaging Options

I've been using Prowl for many years, but I'm slowly moving over to Slack. While neither are strictly SMS, they both offer good iOS notifications.

With Slack, you can also catch notifications from Slack and perform actions in Indigo. Since there is a Slack integration with IFTTT, it makes it possible to do simple integration with things that can integrate with IFTTT.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:09 pm
FlyingDiver offline

CraigM wrote:
I'm looking to move away from Indigo email alerts to a text message based solution.

Thanks

Twilio, in the plugin store.

Not a free solution, but minimal cost for low SMS traffic. Very robust. Also gives the option for doing some fancy things with outbound voice calls as well.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:57 pm
DaveL17 offline

I send an email to [my mobile number]@vtext.com (Verizon) and I get the text as SMS. I've found it to be super reliable. I do this for things that I want to know as fast as possible. I still rely on email to email for low priority stuff.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:29 pm
Dual offline

I’m using the Pushover plugin. 37,837 messages and still going strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:34 pm
FlyingDiver offline

I just realized, I wrote or am maintaining all three of the plugins mentioned. ;)

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:57 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

FlyingDiver wrote:
I just realized, I wrote or am maintaining all three of the plugins mentioned. ;)

Another title for you then: Notification Master

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:43 pm
mundmc offline

I use Pushover for alerts and it has been rock solid for years now. I additionally have been playing around with Twilio and I’m quite happy with it. It is also a pretty bulletproof implementation. I bailed on using Apple messages when I couldn’t get a dummy account going with it, but all plug-ins referenced are top notch. Thanks FlyingDiver and Glennz!

Posted on
Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:23 pm
ryanbuckner offline

CraigM wrote:

Thanks

I prefer the Messages plugin https://github.com/gazally/indigo-messages because all my devices are apple based and the plugin is simple, allows python scripting, and free.

Posted on
Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:37 pm
CraigM offline

DaveL17 wrote:
I send an email to [my mobile number]@vtext.com (Verizon) and I get the text as SMS. I've found it to be super reliable. I do this for things that I want to know as fast as possible. I still rely on email to email for low priority stuff.

I couldn't get that to work sending emails through Indigo's Email+ using mymobilenumber@tmomail.net

GMAIL
Code: Select all
Email+ Error                    Email+ SMTP Server [gmail]: SMTP server connection error: SMTP AUTH extension not supported by server.

Google also notified me "Google blocked the app you were trying to use because it doesn't meet our security standards."

WEB HOST
Email+ Error                    Email+ SMTP Server [web host]: SMTP server connection error: (535, 'Incorrect authentication data')

Posted on
Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:43 pm
FlyingDiver offline

CraigM wrote:
DaveL17 wrote:

I couldn't get that to work sending emails through Indigo's Email+ using mymobilenumber@tmomail.net

GMAIL
Email+ Error                    Email+ SMTP Server [gmail]: SMTP server connection error: SMTP AUTH extension not supported by server.

Google also notified me "Google blocked the app you were trying to use because it doesn't meet our security standards."

WEB HOST
Email+ Error                    Email+ SMTP Server [web host]: SMTP server connection error: (535, 'Incorrect authentication data')

I'm confused. What's "WEB HOST"?

In general, GMail is a pain to use as an SMTP server because of their security setup. iCloud is a little better. For a free account to use with Indigo, I would recommend GMX.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:52 pm
CraigM offline

FlyingDiver wrote:
I'm confused. What's "WEB HOST"?.

My main email accounts are through my web hosting company, plus I have a few gmail accounts.
Last edited by CraigM on Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:55 pm
DaveL17 offline

I don't use Gmail or iCloud for my Indigo email--I use a dedicated email address with my ISP.

But, I'm guessing that simply sending a message with the Gmail web client wouldn't be a sufficient test based on Joe's message.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:56 pm
FlyingDiver offline

CraigM wrote:
I'm confused. What's "WEB HOST"?.

My main email accounts are through my web hosting company, plus I have a few gmail accounts.

I see no reason why you should be getting an error from an ISP, assuming you're using the correct authentication data. Running a debug log might give some clue what the issue is.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:59 pm
ryanbuckner offline

I tried this using AT&T.

Action Group                    send email text
Email+                          sending email 'testing ' to '7035551212@txt.att.net' using Email+ SMTP Server

The text message came through:

FRM:indigo.server@gmail.com
SUBJ:testing
MSG:testing email from Indigo