Interesting AC presence monitor

Posted on
Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:35 am
DaveL17 offline

Re: Interesting AC presence monitor

berkinet wrote:
Indeed. However. I would think the two ends are compatible, but different. So, I would then suggest that your real need is to measure the internal temperature of the fridge. Because, everything else is really just analogous (to a greater or lesser sense) to the temperature. In your case, I would still monitor the circuit to see that current was available and then place a temperature sensor (RTD, thermocouple, or thermistor), in the fridge. You could also measure AC at the fan or current draw on the hot wire to the fan. But, as noted, those two indicators will not guarantee the fridge is actually cold.

Yes, that would most certainly work. The fridge is but one example, however. Sump pump, septic pump, randon system, etc. are all 24/7 things I'd like to monitor. Each of them plugs into a receptacle and it would be wonderful to (safely) monitor them from the plug.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:50 am
RogueProeliator offline

I really want to try those Leviton Smart Circuit Breakers but they are damn expensive, especially to retrofit in... though could get the "dumb" circuit breakers for ones you don't care to monitor. But replacing the load center, while doable in my case (i.e. not the main breaker panel) would still be a chore. But if you used the API to bring data into Indigo could easily monitor any energy usage and trigger using Indigo triggers (below OR above threshold, circuit tripped, etc.)

Dave, you need to look into those for the new house... I'll be up to visit once you have them installed to check them out!

Posted on
Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:57 am
DaveL17 offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
Dave, you need to look into those for the new house... I'll be up to visit once you have them installed to check them out!

Do they require a cloud or is there a local hub/API? I'm not saying that I would buy these (you're right--they are expensive) but I definitely won't if they're cloud only.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:07 am
RogueProeliator offline

Do they require a cloud or is there a local hub/API? I'm not saying that I would buy these (you're right--they are expensive) but I definitely won't if they're cloud only.

I don't know, didn't get that for to be honest after doing some quick mental math as to the price. I'm sure they require cloud access to for the App Access but not sure if you can connect locally to the hub (directly) without a connection.