Project to replace large Control4 system

Posted on
Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:00 am
Different Computers offline

Re: Project to replace large Control4 system

crofford wrote:
I've picked Ubiquiti as the base infrastructure equipment.

Just in case you haven't noticed, there's a Unifi plugin for Indigo that I highly recommend. Turns (potentially) every one of your networked devices into something Indigo knows about.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:03 am
FlyingDiver offline

Different Computers wrote:
Just in case you haven't noticed, there's a Unifi plugin for Indigo that I highly recommend. Turns (potentially) every one of your networked devices into something Indigo knows about.

There's actually two plugins. Karl's, which is more comprehensive but also more complex, and mine, which is very minimal but easier to configure (IMO).

https://www.indigodomo.com/pluginstore/73/

https://www.indigodomo.com/pluginstore/243/

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:30 am
RogueProeliator offline

I'd like to get input on what everyone thinks about central video distribution.

We actually do a combination of central distribution and localized sources -- the central distribution has security camera feeds, Chromecast, Roku, Blu-Ray, etc. This allows for two primary scenarios -- the first being things that are not streamed at all such as the Blu-Ray player, the second so that when we do want to watch the same streaming source in multiple rooms then it is perfectly synced and not eating up twice the bandwidth. It is mildly annoying to watch, say, a sports even and have your spouse cheering from the other room when the play is still ongoing and nothing has (yet) happened on your TV!

A few key other sites have their own Chromecast attached for completely local usage.

As far as the hardware, I have tried several and the typical HDMI-over-Cat6 is rubbish. I settled on a system that injects my feeds as digital cable channels and the TVs just tune to that channel for the distribution (well, technically there are two channels, each showing different sources). Since we do not use Digital Cable otherwise, it is perfect as there are only 2 channels on the TV inputs of each TV.

I have found this the perfect combination of our particular use case, but I think this topic is far on the extreme of "no one-size-fits-all" solution... all depends on how you plan to use it.

Posted on
Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:24 am
crofford offline

My wiring cleanup effort continues...I suspect I'll be working on it for months. Tracing wires that don't seem to come out anywhere or finding wires in one closet spliced into other wires running to a different area is frustrating and time consuming.
However, as far as video distribution goes, I think I'll just do the locally attached AppleTV and designate three main TV's as the sports simulcast TV's and use the regular DirecTV solution for now since there's coax already existing at each spot. I'll come back to this in the future as technology advances.
I've starting installing the VSSL A.6's to connect all of the in-ceiling speakers. So far, these devices are pretty cool...highly recommended at this time. I've also distributed some HomePods and HomePod minis around the house so you can tell Siri what to do.

The doorbell with two-way voice is connected to the old VOIP PBX. The previous owner left three handsets. There's no central doorbell chime, it only rings on the handsets. There's an electric door strike on the front door (actually into a courtyard) so you can unlock the door from the phone handset. The strike is not operational and will need to be replaced. I'm thinking about the Ubiquiti Hub and Access Reader Pro as a replacement. I've done a little reading on the Robin ProLine doorbell which integrates with Apple HomeKit. There's a gate into the property with a DoorKing keypad that also rings into the PBX. I'd like to use a common solution but I haven't done enough research on that one yet. I'd welcome all comments on these items if you have recommendations or thoughts.

Posted on
Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:35 pm
crofford offline

One of the things that I've been contemplating is leaving some of the Control4 system in place if it makes sense. With over a hundred light switches I was considering just staying with C4 on the light switches for awhile (The HVAC is also on C4). However, dealing with the C4 support guy is a royal pain in the a$$ and I can't wait to throw every piece of C4 in the trash.
My understanding is that C4 uses Zigbee and from what I can gather, there's not a good solution to do Zigbee with Indigo. Am I correct? Any ideas for alternatives? Or is whole replacement of switches the only answer?

Update on the VSSL devices - so far they work great. I have three A6's so far and I need to add one more. One was faulty out of the box but they were quick to replace it.