Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:59 am
pgershon offline

Re: Pool Pump Interference

Best I can tell, Insteon powerline frequency is 131.65 KHz

Posted on
Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:48 am
jalves offline

Hmmm... That's a pretty low frequency. I'll have to look around a bit but most HF ferrite beads/cores should work to choke them.

Running Indigo 7.4.1 on a 27" iMac (mid-2017), 40G memory, 1T Fusion Drive, OS X 10.15.6
Jeff

Posted on
Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:00 am
peszko offline

pgershon wrote:
I have about 75 Insteon devices in my home. Very expensive too simply get rid of Insteon. The pool does not use Insteon - but its pump is messing with Insteon devices throughout my entire home system. It would be cheaper to replace pool pump, though not my preference.

In my case, the pool was controlled by insteon devices and these were the only ones that didn't work. So it was not a big investment. Right now, I'm replacing couple of Insteon devices a month (or so) so the financial impact is spread out. I have over 200 devices and managed to replace about half.

One other thing that worked for me was an insteon filterlink. The problem with thouse, is with the power required and outdoor location, they would fail on my after about a year.

https://www.smarthome.com/products/filterlinc-10-amp-plug-in-noise-filter

They used to have high power ones, but I can't find them anymore, nor do I care at this point.

Posted on
Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:51 am
Monstergerm offline

This company makes all kinds of power line filters. Perhaps one of those might work. I don’t understand enough about the specs which one to choose.
https://www.te.com/usa-en/products/emi-filters/power-line-filters.html

Posted on
Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:35 am
pgershon offline

What about something like this, the Leviton 6284 whole house block? Could I place it where the pool equipment panel feeds the pool house panel and block out the pool equipment altogether? I do not use Insteon with the pool equipment so this seems logical.

https://www.homecontrols.com/Leviton-Wh ... ock-LV6284

Posted on
Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:04 am
Monstergerm offline

It is cheap enough to be worth a try. The only concerns I have are:
1) It was designed for X10 powerline noise and the X10 frequency is slightly different from Insteon. I could find no specs on what frequency range this device filters.
2) It is supposed to block noise entering your house electrical system from the street. But in your and mine case, we want to block noise coming out of the pool equipment breaker box from the pump. I am not sure whether this device blocks both incoming and outgoing noise. And I guess you need to have space for 2 dedicated circuit breakers to connect to L1 and L2 on the device.

Posted on
Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:06 pm
pgershon offline

I think I can connect to the wires coming out of the 70 AMP breaker on pool house panel that feeds the pool equipment panel. There is room in that box too - the pool equiment's box is full. I willl let you know how it turns out.