Aeon Labs MultiSensor (DSB05)

Posted on
Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:41 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Aeon Labs MultiSensor (DSB05)

This thread is for discussing the Aeon Labs (Aeotec) Mult Sensor.

Device details
How to use with Indigo

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:00 am
anothersphere offline

Re: Aeon Labs Multi Sensor (DSB05)

So, I now have my DSB05-ZWAU (as shipped to Australia).
Indigo 6.0.b7 now sees it as its schizophrenic self: temperature, humidity, movement and luminance sensors.
Great.
Now how do I get any values off it?
If I look at creating an action, I have no z wave actions?
Hmmm.
Help!

Martin Miller

Auckland - New Zealand

Posted on
Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:08 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I'm not quite following you but I think maybe your question got answered in another thread. If not, please be more specific about what you're trying to do.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:14 pm
anothersphere offline

Yes its in another thread.

Martin Miller

Auckland - New Zealand

Posted on
Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:52 pm
krissh offline

Hi,
I've got this sensor working, but is there any way to turn off event logging of temperature/humidity etc. every few minutes? Thanks!

Posted on
Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:57 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Not currently. To be honest we would really like to do a major overhaul of Indigo's Event Log display/filtering.. but likely won't have time in v6 to get that done.

So we are considering adding a few individual options to disable logging of a few things (like these state changes) as a temporary solution.

Posted on
Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:43 pm
AlaskaDave offline

*Added Z-Wave support for battery command class via a new batterLevel device state.

At first I wasn't finding how to set up a trigger then noticed that it shows up when the Motion Sensor device is selected. In defining low battery, what would be a value to select? I choose Becomes Less Than 30. Does this mean 30%?

Posted on
Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:13 am
AlaskaDave offline

I recently changed the reporting interval (decreased) and upon completing a message was included in the Event Log in red that seemed to indicate that this would take effect on its own. It's been quite some time and the reporting interval is still 12 minutes. Does this take a re-define/sync for this sensor? I reloaded the interface as you can see from the event log below. I changed from 12 to 10 minutes, probably at about 7:45am.

I also noticed that when updated not all sensors are included in the batch. Is this normal?

Apr 18, 2013 8:13:10 AM
Reloading interface "Z-Wave 1.0.23"
Stopping interface "Z-Wave 1.0.23" (pid 2301)
Z-Wave closed connection to Z-Stick S2
Stopped interface "Z-Wave 1.0.23"
Starting interface "Z-Wave 1.0.23" (pid 18430)
Started interface "Z-Wave 1.0.23"
Z-Wave connected to Z-Stick S2 interface on /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART12 (firmware 3.07)
Z-Wave received sensor update "Workshop - Luminance" to 370 lux

Apr 18, 2013 8:16:57 AM
Z-Wave received sensor update "Workshop - Luminance" to 462 lux
Z-Wave received sensor update "Workshop - Humidity" to 57%
Z-Wave received sensor update "Workshop - Temperature" to 60.9 °F

Apr 18, 2013 8:28:57 AM
Z-Wave received sensor update "Workshop - Luminance" to 405 lux
Z-Wave received sensor update "Workshop - Temperature" to 60.6 °F

Apr 18, 2013 8:40:57 AM
Z-Wave received sensor update "Workshop - Luminance" to 551 lux
Z-Wave received sensor update "Workshop - Temperature" to 60.9 °F

Apr 18, 2013 8:52:57 AM
Z-Wave received sensor update "Workshop - Luminance" to 681 lux
Z-Wave received sensor update "Workshop - Temperature" to 61.5 °F

Posted on
Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:24 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

AlaskaDave wrote:
At first I wasn't finding how to set up a trigger then noticed that it shows up when the Motion Sensor device is selected. In defining low battery, what would be a value to select? I choose Becomes Less Than 30. Does this mean 30%?

We hope to add some additional battery functionality, but for now the batteryLevel is tracked as a device state which you can use in triggers, conditionals, or inspect on Control Pages.

The threshold value for what a low battery is will vary based on the module. I've run my multi-sensor all the way down to 0% and it still can send commands (not that I recommend it), so a threshold below 30% would probably be okay. The level reported back can vary quite a bit as well. For example, if the multi-sensor is awake and has just sent lots of commands then I've noticed the batteryLevel reported is much lower than what I get if the sensor has been idle for a while. So the reported value can bounce around quite a bit.

AlaskaDave wrote:
I recently changed the reporting interval (decreased) and upon completing a message was included in the Event Log in red that seemed to indicate that this would take effect on its own. It's been quite some time and the reporting interval is still 12 minutes.

There are two different intervals you can change: the wake interval and the reporting interval. The wake interval is used to determine how often the module wakes up and accepts incoming commands. The reporting interval is how often the module sends back temperature, etc., data to the Z-Stick.

What gets a bit confusing is that if you change the reporting interval then that change cannot be pushed to the module until the next wake interval occurs. That is, when the module sends to the Z-Stick the temperature information it does not stay awake and will not accept any incoming commands. So Indigo isn't able to change the reporting interval during those broadcasts. Instead it has to wait until the next wake interval, at which time Indigo will update the reporting interval and you should see the temperature broadcasts come in more frequently.

Posted on
Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:44 am
krissh offline

Re: Aeon Labs MultiSensor (DSB05)

I just bought my second DSB05, and seem to be getting quite different readings. I've placed both next to each other, as well as two Oregon Scientific sensor. One seems to be about 2 degrees lower than the others, and there seems to be a deviation for humidity as well. Anyone else experiencing this?

Model Id, version etc. are the same.

Code: Select all
Indigo Z-Wave Version: 1.0.55
Node ID: 3
Model: Multi Sensor (DSB05)
Model ID: 00020005
Manufacturer: Aeon Labs
Manufacturer ID: 0086
Protocol Version: 3.28
Application Version: 1.18
Model Definition Version: 3
Library Type: 6
Class Name: Binary Sensor (routing)
Class Hierarchy: 04 : 20 : 01
Command Class Base: 30
Command Versions: 20v1 80v1 84v2 85v1 86v1 70v1 30v1 31v5 72v1
Multi-Endpoint Classes: - none -
Multi-Endpoint Types: - none -
Multi-Instance Counts: - none -
Features: routing, battery, beaming, waking
Neighbors: 1, 5
Associations: 1:[1]
Config Values: 112:720 113:720 2:1 3:60 4:1 5:1 102:0 103:0 111:240 101:224

Code: Select all
Indigo Z-Wave Version: 1.0.55
Node ID: 7
Model: Multi Sensor (DSB05)
Model ID: 00020005
Manufacturer: Aeon Labs
Manufacturer ID: 0086
Protocol Version: 3.28
Application Version: 1.18
Model Definition Version: 3
Library Type: 6
Class Name: Binary Sensor (routing)
Class Hierarchy: 04 : 20 : 01
Command Class Base: 30
Command Versions: 20v1 80v1 84v2 85v1 86v1 70v1 30v1 31v5 72v1
Multi-Endpoint Classes: - none -
Multi-Endpoint Types: - none -
Multi-Instance Counts: - none -
Features: routing, battery, beaming, waking
Neighbors: 1, 5
Associations: 1:[1]
Config Values: 2:1 3:900 4:1 5:1 101:224 102:0 103:0 111:240 112:720 113:720

Posted on
Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:28 pm
hamw offline

I don't know about the Aeons, but I bought 4 Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors and put them on a table together. After an hour they read within +/- one unit of each other. Frankly I was pretty impressed.

If I am reading your screen shot correctly, it looks like your OS sensors are exactly identical?

Posted on
Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:55 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I have noticed that if I wake my MultiSensor up and send it lots of commands (define/sync it, change settings, etc.) then apparently the entire unit warms up and I start getting higher temperatures. If I put it back to sleep and wait for it to broadcast out the temperature then it goes back down (to what I think is closer to the ambient room temperature).

I have on my ToDo list to add Indigo sensor level temperature adjustments, so that you can have Indigo convert between C & F and also offset the temperature to give it a better baseline. I'm not sure when I'll get to that, but it is on my wish list.

Posted on
Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:03 am
krissh offline

I have noticed that if I wake my MultiSensor up and send it lots of commands (define/sync it, change settings, etc.) then apparently the entire unit warms up and I start getting higher temperatures.

I've seen the same thing. When I first put these sensors on the table I Synced the DSB05s, and they both went up to about 25 degrees C. The above screenshot is taken about one hour later, when the readings were stable.

If I am reading your screen shot correctly, it looks like your OS sensors are exactly identical?

Yes, they are. So I'm guessing that these are more correct than the Aeon sensors.

I will try to make USB power cables when I find the time. My local smarthouse dealer highly recommends using USB power for these Aeon sensors. But I don't want to run a black USB cable to the sensors, so I'm thinking I'll solder a thin white cable with only the two power conductors for USB.

Posted on
Mon May 20, 2013 7:10 pm
teejay6 offline

Using Motion Detectors and Light Levels to turn on Office Lights

I set out to make the following scenario work: I want to enter my office, and have the 3 lights (an Action Group called Office-Scene) turn on when triggered by a motion sensor, but only if the light light levels are below a certain level (under 200 lux). In the morning, my office has lots of light coming through the window, and I don't need the lights on. In the afternoon, the office is too dark to work in without lights.

I got my scenario to work, but would be interested if there is any more elegant way to accomplish the automation. Here is what I did:

1. I used a Z-Wave MultiSensor for the initial detection of motion, and to find out the initial state of the lux level. I have a trigger called' "Office Lights Motion Initial On" that is set for:

- Trigger: Type: Device State Changed / Device: Office Motion Sensor (Z-Wave) / On/Off State / Becomes On

- Condition: If Device / Office Luminance (Z-Wave) / Sensor Value / is less than / 200

- Actions: execute group "Office-Scene-On" / set variable Office_Lights_Status to true

2. I set up a second trigger to establish that I was still in the room (based on my motion). I used an Insteon Motion Sensor for this (because it samples the state of motion detection much more frequently than the Z-Wave MultiSensor), and created a trigger called "Office Lights Motion Stay On" that is set for:

- Trigger: Type: Device State Changed / Device: Office Motion Detector 1 (Insteon) / On/Off State / Becomes On

- Condition: / if variable / Office_Lights_Status / is true

- Actions: Execute Action Group (Server Actions) / Group "Office-Scene-On"

So the secondary trigger keeps the lights on if there is continued motion in the office. It won't execute unless the lights have already been turned on by the first trigger.

3. I also set up an Auto-off of 10 minutes in the Office-Scene Action Group (the three lights), so that when I left my office the lights would turn off, and the variable Office_Lights_Status would be set to False.

This setup works fine, although I would like to incorporate the hallway motion direction scripts so that when I leave the office, the lights turn off immediately.

Any feedback or suggestions or ideas of things I might try for this would help. I like the idea of checking the lux levels to turn the lights on only if I need to.

Thanks
TJ6

Posted on
Wed May 29, 2013 1:34 pm
pneu offline

How can i access the luminance sensor with applescript?