Aeon Labs MultiSensor (DSB05)

Posted on
Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:59 am
Dewster35 offline

Re: Aeon Labs MultiSensor (DSB05)

matt (support) wrote:
Dewster35 wrote:
Ahh... so that setting IS the hardware and indigo setting until an off command is sent??

Correct, since Indigo can reliably control this setting on the MultiSensor (it just may take a while for the setting to get pushed to the device on its next awake command) there is no need for the Indigo delay logic. So whenever the sensor sends the OFF command Indigo always immediately turns off the state in the UI.

Awesome... liking this sensor more and more than the insteon version ~ equivalent :)

Posted on
Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:46 pm
gregjsmith offline

I'm a little confused on the settings. What should the settings be so that the sensor reports motion much as possible to Indigo?

Posted on
Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:55 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

gregjsmith wrote:
I'm a little confused on the settings. What should the settings be so that the sensor reports motion much as possible to Indigo?

You can set the Off Delay as low as 1 second in the settings dialog, but I don't think that works well. The motion sensor only detects motion every several seconds, so if you go lower than that amount (not sure what it is) then you'll end up with tons of ON->OFF->ON->... state changes. Also, the lower you set the duration the more Z-Wave commands it is going to send which will drain the battery.

I'd experiment around with it and find what the highest (so longest duration) is that is acceptable for your use. You don't want to go too low or the battery will probably drain pretty quickly.

Posted on
Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:29 pm
gregjsmith offline

On my first try at setting up the motion detector I set it to 1 and it stayed at 4 minutes, thus my confusion. I will try different settings up to 1 and see how I like it.

Glad to see z-wave support. Thanks for the hard work.

Posted on
Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:51 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Note that if the device is asleep then we have to queue the changes until it wakes up before we can send them - so it may take a while before the change is made (I think the default wake interval is 30 minutes though I recall 10 minutes also so I'm not sure which is right). You can wake the device up by pressing the include button 3 times - the change should then be able to be made immediately.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:25 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

jay (support) wrote:
You can wake the device up by pressing the include button 3 times - the change should then be able to be made immediately.

3 taps will wake up the multisensor, but I'm not sure if it will send the "I'm Awake" message at that point. Instead, just press and hold the SET button for 3 seconds. That will cause it to send the I'm Awake message and Indigo will send the new settings.

Posted on
Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:13 am
gregjsmith offline

Is anyone using this sensor with pets? My cat always sets it off and I have the sensitivity tuned way down.

Posted on
Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:06 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I presume you've tried tilting the detector more upwards?

Posted on
Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:24 pm
gregjsmith offline

matt (support) wrote:
I presume you've tried tilting the detector more upwards?

Yes. Ive been trying it in all kinds of positions.

Posted on
Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:01 am
ftp30 offline

I now have 9 (nine) of this sensors, so I can tell that, when in range, they do work well, reliable and reporting accurate figures, the temp sensor needs ambient adaptation but then it is constant on the temp reported, even if you put 3 on a row, same temp on all devices.

What is driving me crazy is the range of coverage, it seems shorter than other devices, i.e. aeon Labs smart Energy Switch, same location one works, the other doesn't.

the question is:
Z-wave should not have range issues, if there is a routing device that has range coverage, it should expand the z-wave coverage, correct? is Aeon Labs Multisensor not included into the routing mechanism?

Any tip on how to expand range? did try the positioning of the dongle...

Does indigo have a mechanism of reporting range status i.e. rx tx level of the radio signal?
if not, and the data is available by the device, it would be a fantastic installation tool, most likely a key seller point.

look forward to your feedback

thanks,

Frank

Posted on
Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:14 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Hi Frank,

Some Z-Wave modules are routing nodes and can help extend the range of neighboring nodes, but not all modules support routing. Battery operated modules (Multi-Sensor) do not route packets since they sleep (to conserve battery) but they can communicate with plugged in routing modules if you have them nearby. Note that the internal routing tables in the modules have to be built based on the surrounding modules. If you move modules around or add new modules then try to re-Define and Sync those modules (and their nearby modules) so that the routing tables can all be updated. Remember to wake up the Multi-Sensor module before you Define and Sync it by pressing the black set button on it 3 times.

Unfortunately, there is no RX or TX level available to Indigo from the Z-Stick.

Posted on
Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:45 am
eme jota ce offline

Re: Aeon Labs MultiSensor (DSB05) - No log entries via Vera

I have one of these sensors integrated into my Indigo system, but via the Vera plugin. I'm not seeing status changes in the Indigo log for this device.

Although I have a Z-stick, I use it via the vera plugin because Vera can control some z-wave devices (locks) not natively supported via Indigo. There are also some aeon labs appliance switches on the Vera plugin. By keeping all of the Z-wave devices on the Vera, I (assume) that the range of these devices is extended, allowing the Z-Wave signals to more reliably reach the locks and battery operated devices such as the multisensor.

The problem arises in trying to create some triggers from the multi-sensor. It would be much easier to correctly setup the triggers if Indigo were to report the status changes in the log. The device state of the multisensor is reported in the Indigo Home Window.

Can the device state changes be added to the Indigo log under the circumstances of the Vera Plugin?

Posted on
Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:52 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Aeon Labs MultiSensor (DSB05) - No log entries via Vera

I'd definitely recommend you move over all of your modules, except the locks, to the Z-Stick and Indigo. I think you'll find that having the native support for those in Indigo is both more reliable and significantly faster. I believer there are several Vera users that are doing this (using Vera only for the locks).

Posted on
Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:42 pm
ftp30 offline

hi Mat,

not @ home till sat, this weekend will try the trick and resync the aeon sensor and the aeon smart inline switch (that works well and receives z-wave commands). I was wondering in which order should I resync, but I guess:
A) resync the aeon lab inline smart switch (the neighbor z-wave working and routing device) with the aeon labs Multisensor awake (so that is seen by the neighbor device)
B) resync the aeon labs Multisensor waking it up pushing the black button 3 times.

In this way both devices internal routing table should be updated and "see" each other.

Correct?

Posted on
Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:55 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

That sounds correct.