Aeon Labs MultiSensor (DSB05)

Posted on
Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:44 pm
zurich offline

Re: Aeon Labs MultiSensor (DSB05)

Greetings,

I recently picked up a Aeotec Multisensor DSB05 while travelling in the U.S.A. It reports temperature in fahrenheit, is there any way to change it to Celsius?

kind regards,

Z

Posted on
Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:31 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

No way to have the hardware do it. We have a feature request on our list to add the ability for Indigo to convert specified states but no idea if/when it will get into a release.

If you aren't in the US/Canada, I'm surprised it works at all since North American Z-Wave frequencies are different than those in Europe and Oceania...

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:21 pm
zurich offline

Greetings,

For anyone else interested this is the response from Chris at Aeon Labs when I asked if it was possible, through firmware, to change the temp scale to Celsuis:

Unfortunately it isn't possible, its an internal Z-Wave setting that the gateway or controller will need to handle. The parameter setting was removed since every gateway handles it differently.

In the underlying level, the Multisensor uses Multilevel Sensor CC V5 that uses sensor type = 01 for temperature. The scale in the get command will need to set the scale to 00 for C and 01 for F.

In the end I am returning the Multisensor and search for a different type.

regards,

Z

Posted on
Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:12 pm
colinpartridge offline

I use a python script to convert Fahrenheit from a EZmotion 3in 1 sensor to Celcius, writing the result to a Variable. It's triggered any time the sensor temperature changes.

Colin

Posted on
Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:11 pm
zurich offline

Greetings Colin,

Thanks to you for your input. Your idea is a good one but I really want to have the temp for the Multisensor displayed in the GUI as Celsuis especially when the Multisensor is capable of outputting in Celsius. I have been told that most controllers are capable of selecting the temperature type, unfortunately Indigo does not offer this option. I am looking for a similar device with the temp type hardware selectable. Not sure if such exists but I will look.

Thanks to you again.

kind regards,

Z

Posted on
Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:43 am
eme jota ce offline

colinpartridge wrote:
I use a python script to convert Fahrenheit from a EZmotion 3in 1 sensor to Celcius, writing the result to a Variable. It's triggered any time the sensor temperature changes.

Colin

Would you mind sharing your python script to convert from Celsius to Fahrenheit?

Posted on
Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:04 pm
colinpartridge offline

eme jota ce wrote:
colinpartridge wrote:

Colin

Would you mind sharing your python script to convert from Celsius to Fahrenheit?

my script ( probably stolen from someone on this forum!) is as follows and converts from Fahrenheit to Celsius, but if you want to reverse the conversion it should be easy enough.
Code: Select all
device_id = YourDeviceID # insert temperature device id
tempF = indigo.devices[device_id].sensorValue
tempC = (float(tempF)-32) * .55 # temp conversion
tempCRound = round(tempC,1) # decimal place rounding
indigo.variable.updateValue("VariableName", str(tempCRound) + "°C")

HTH

Colin

Posted on
Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:21 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

zurich wrote:
Greetings,

For anyone else interested this is the response from Chris at Aeon Labs when I asked if it was possible, through firmware, to change the temp scale to Celsuis:

Unfortunately it isn't possible, its an internal Z-Wave setting that the gateway or controller will need to handle. The parameter setting was removed since every gateway handles it differently.

In the underlying level, the Multisensor uses Multilevel Sensor CC V5 that uses sensor type = 01 for temperature. The scale in the get command will need to set the scale to 00 for C and 01 for F.

In the end I am returning the Multisensor and search for a different type.

Thanks for this information. We will be investigating this.

Posted on
Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:17 pm
zurich offline

Greetings,

I read with some anticipation that you are looking into the information I posted. Do you think there is a possibility you may be adding the ability to select the temperature type for the Multisensor? If there is then I will not return my Multisensor to the the vendor. Also there are some good purchase opportunities for the older Gen 5 now that the new unit is out.

Is there some way to send the temp scale configuration command to the Multisensor using Python but independent of Indigo?

I look forward to your reply.

Kind regards,

Z

Posted on
Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:10 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Yes, we'll be looking into it. It might be possible to send it via a raw command, but I don't know the exact format of the packet that needs to be sent yet.

Posted on
Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:40 am
zurich offline

Greetings,

Brilliant news. I am to hang on to my Multisensor and wait with anticipation to your further research.

kind regards,

Z

Posted on
Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:45 pm
ac4lt offline

I have one of these in my network and it appears to have stopped working. At it's last successful contact the battery was at 60%. I've tried replacing the batteries and though the sensor is showing a solid red LED on the side which should indicate that it is still included in the network I am not getting anything from it. I'm not sure ow to troubleshoot it. Anyone have any ideas?

Posted on
Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:18 am
zurich offline

Greetings,

I see in Indigo it can send Raw Z-Wave command, can it send command to change degrees F to C on the Aeon Labs Multisensor DSB05 ? If so what is the command to send?

Kind regards,

Z

Posted on
Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:59 pm
howartp offline

Unless someone responds otherwise, no it can't.

My recollection from past posts is of people moaning that Indigo can't translate it to C on the fly.

However, just recently a plugin called temperature scale converter was released, which creates a new device showing temperature in C, that you can use and display.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:18 pm
gskarp offline

My DSB05 has stopped responding. I tried to resync it andI get the same error:

Z-Wave Error Syncing - failed to assign return route
Z-Wave Error Syncing - failed
Z-Wave Error No response from "006 - Garage Motion". Module might be asleep, or is unreachable.

However, it is plugged int to USB power, so it should not be asleep. Also I brought it down next to my Z-stick and it still is not seen.

Is there anything else I should do? I'm not sure if I need to remove it from the stick and then try to add it again, or is it just a bad module?