INSTEON Motion Sensor

Posted on
Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:59 pm
rehafer offline

Re: INSTEON Motion Sensor

I’ve been replacing older motion sensors with Aeotec multisensors. They’re more reliable, provide additional data, and can run on USB power where available. (The less batteries I have to change, the better)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:34 pm
dduff617 offline

I've had pretty good luck with Monoprice multi sensor, aka "ZooZ", aka "Vision". I got four of them a while back (about $35 or $20/ea if you get a good sale) and initially employed them as temperature/humidity sensors around my house. Good stuff:
  • Small size.
  • Nice appearance.
  • The use Z-wave Plus with good range and modern Z-wave features.
  • Good Indigo support...
    • Easy inclusion
    • full support for all sensor modalities (temp, humidity, motion, light, tamper)
    • battery level reporting
    • full configurability via device settings dialog.
    • Indigo will queue configuration commands to device and send them when it wakes up.

I have the model that takes 2xAAA batteries. I think there is another variant of the same sensor that takes CR123A (lithium) battery and gives longer battery life. I have mine set to pretty aggressive reporting threshold for temperature/humidity changes (high sensitivity) so am not being kind to the batteries, but I'm seeing battery life of about 9 months. If I dialed back off the reporting sensitivity, I could probably double that.

The mounting options are a bit limited, compared to Aeotec multi sensor, for example (for which you can get a recessed ceiling mount, for example). They are small and somewhat simple in appearance.

You can get them from Amazon and Monoprice.

Posted on
Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:51 am
SearchCz offline

I just replaced an Insteon Motion Sensor with the Insteon Motion Sensor II. I'm reasonably happy with the performance, but I want to configure it to send "on" commands only and cannot fins a way to accomplish that. Documentation says that I can do this with the Insteon+ App via a hub. I have the Hub Pro, which doesn't seem to be compatible with the MSII. I also have Indigo 7.4, but I can't find a configuration option for "on only". I'm wondering if there is maybe a raw command I could send to the MSII via Indigo 7.4 to put the sensor into "on" only mode? Any ideas?

Posted on
Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:53 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Try using the Execute Raw INSTEON Command with the following settings:

Command 1 Byte: 0x2E
Command 2 Byte: 0x00
Send extended messages: checked
D1 Byte: 0x00
D2 Byte: 0x06
D3 Byte: 0x20 for ON only, or 0x00 for ON and OFF
D4 Byte: 0x0F
D5 Byte: OFF timeout interval in 10 second increments (0x03 would be 30 seconds). This value is probably unused if you have D3 set to 0x20.
D6 to D14 Bytes: 0x00 (for all of them)

Let me know if that works, and wake the module first by putting into linking mode (unless you have it USB powered).