INSTEON Motion Sensor

Posted on
Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:46 am
jphauck offline

Re: INSTEON Motion Sensor

Hello Jay -

I was just trying to figure out how to delete my post. Total user error here.
They are now working fine. Using the device state change is working fine.
They are actually more responsive than the older models.
My only disappointment is with Insteon because I purchased the USB power cables but there are no wall warts included, and that guess I missed. So now I have to go source those out.
Thanks for your prompt reply and please forgive my user error in posting.

Jim

Jim H.
Concord, CA

Posted on
Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:34 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

No problem, glad it's working for you.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:34 am
rainman50 offline

I just got the new Insteon II motion sensor 2844-222.
I can install in OK in Indigo 7. But the delay is always 30 seconds. How do I change the delay time to stay on longer?
Thanks for any info.

Dave

Posted on
Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:40 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

You use the Interfaces->INSTEON/X10 Power Line->Set Motion Sensor Timeout... menu item to adjust it.

Note, however, that the new motion sensor seems to use a slightly different scale (I'm trying to get the specifics from Insteon now). Setting it to 0 does appear to set it to 30 (default). However, setting it to 1 sets it to about 10 seconds, 2 to 20ish, etc. So you may have to play around a bit to get it set to the duration you want.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:13 pm
rainman50 offline

Thanks

Do I have to do anything to the sensor after I execute the command? To make sure it takes it.

Dave

Posted on
Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:24 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Put it in linking mode before you execute the action (hold down the set button until it beeps). That keeps it awake.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:02 am
jphauck offline

jay (support) wrote:
Put it in linking mode before you execute the action (hold down the set button until it beeps). That keeps it awake.

I can't figure out turning off the sensor lights. So bright. If you move at night in bed the whole room flashes. Anyone figure that out yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim H.
Concord, CA

Posted on
Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:27 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

jay (support) wrote:
You use the Interfaces->INSTEON/X10 Power Line->Set Motion Sensor Timeout... menu item to adjust it.

Note, however, that the new motion sensor seems to use a slightly different scale (I'm trying to get the specifics from Insteon now). Setting it to 0 does appear to set it to 30 (default). However, setting it to 1 sets it to about 10 seconds, 2 to 20ish, etc. So you may have to play around a bit to get it set to the duration you want.

Just to follow up - the setting is now in 10 second increments (0 still defaulting to 30). So 1=10 seconds, 10=100 seconds, etc.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:49 am
rainman50 offline

Appreciate that. Thanks

Posted on
Tue May 02, 2017 7:57 am
rainman50 offline

In the Insteon Spec from Smarthome it says :

Configurable Settings (available via Insteon Hub and other compatible controllers):

Nightmode – Tells the motion sensor that you want it to work only at night
Light Sensitivity – How sensitive the motion sensor is to detecting light
Motion Countdown – The amount of time that the motion sensor will wait before turning off linked devices
On Only Mode – This mode causes the motion sensor to only send the “ON” command and ignore the countdown. The customer will be responsible for turning off the light when they leave the room.
Motion LED – Option to disable the LED indicator that flashes when motion is detected

Can we, using Indigo or some manual mode on the device, stop the LED from flashing when motion is detected?

Posted on
Mon May 22, 2017 8:37 am
rbdubz3 offline

I have a few of the prior-gen Insteon Motion Sensors that use the 9V batteries ( model - 2842-222 ). One of these is placed in a pretty high traffic area and I use it for triggering lights primarily. So far it seems like it uses up alot of batteries - approx 1- 9V every 3-4 months. One note is that I even tried one of the fancy 10 year lithium 9V batteries and it didn't seem to last much longer.

Does 3-4 months sound reasonable for battery life in this high traffic area?

I automate because I am lazy :D - My Plugins: https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=309

Posted on
Mon May 22, 2017 9:11 am
gskarp offline

3-4 months in a high traffic area sounds mediocre, but it doesn't surprise me. This is why I started using the aeotec multi sensor 6 ZW100. The battery life is significantly better than my insteon sensors and the recessed housing accessory makes my wife very happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon May 22, 2017 12:24 pm
rbdubz3 offline

Thanks for the tip @gskarp - I've been wanting some multi-sensor stuff, primarily for temperature. I haven't taken on any Z-Wave just yet - pretty much just doing Insteon + other plugins (Sonos, Fingscan, plus my own homegrown Osram Lightify python stuff). I'll browse around the forums for info on Temperature multi-sensors to see what folks recommend. Do you like that aeotec multi sensor 6 ZW100 for temperator sensing?

I automate because I am lazy :D - My Plugins: https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=309

Posted on
Mon May 22, 2017 1:26 pm
gskarp offline

The ZQ100 always seems to track the temperatures that are registered by the thermostat about 15 feet away, though my system doesn't use that data at the moment. I use it mostly for motion and and as a light sensor. I like the footprint. I have only had it for 4 months, but we will see how well the batteries hold up. I personally prefer to plug the sensor in, but that is not always an option.

Posted on
Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:46 pm
kelmk offline

I have a couple of the new Insteon motion sensors. They are quite nice and small and very sensitive to motion. This is actually a problem since they go off when the cats walk by and turn on the hall lights. There does not seem to be any way to control the sensitivity. I also get some false triggers in the middle of the night when I know no cats walked by and there was no motion.

Page 4 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9