INSTEON Motion Sensor

Posted on
Thu May 21, 2015 1:29 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: INSTEON Motion Sensor

First I've heard of it (though that's not a total surprise). I don't see it available on Smarthome.com though I do see it listed on other sites. We'll check in to it.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:05 am
PETStech offline

:cry:

I’m perplexed. I am trying to set up an INSTEON Motion Detector (2842-222) to ring a door chime (X10 PRO Remote Chime)
and turn on an X10 lamp.

Setup:
One Insteon Access Point (2443) on one circuit phase is within 12 feet of the motion detector.
An Insteon PowerLinc Modem (2413U) is on the the other circuit phase.
Phase Test completed successfully.
Reset motion detector to factory settings, then defined and synced, successfully.
Front Door Motion Detector On state is off.
Roadside Motion Detected (Daylight) is triggered by Front Door Motion Detector (Becomes On)
Door Chime is set to turn off, automatically, after 15 seconds.

Problem
When Roadside Motion Detected (Daylight) is triggered by Front Door Motion Detector I get no chime and no light on, although the Event Log suggests otherwise.
However, when I manually Execute Actions Now for Roadside Motion Detected (Daylight) the chime and light go on/off as desired.

Event Log

Jul 4, 2015, 7:59:08 AM
Received INSTEON "Front Door Motion Detector" on (button 1)
Trigger Roadside Motion Detected (Daylight)
Action Group Roadside Motion - Chime
Sent X10 "Door Chime” on NO CHIME & NO LIGHT ON
Schedule Roadside Motion Detected (Daylight) (delayed action)
Sent X10 "Door Chime" off

Jul 4, 2015, 8:00:44 AM
Received INSTEON "Front Door Motion Detector" off (button 1)

Jul 4, 2015, 8:01:47 AM
Trigger Roadside Motion Detected (Daylight)
Action Group Roadside Motion - Chime
Sent X10 "Door Chime” on CHIME & LIGHT ON
Schedule Roadside Motion Detected (Daylight) (delayed action)
Sent X10 "Door Chime” off LIGHT OFF
Last edited by PETStech on Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:05 am
PETStech offline

:oops:
Ignore. Copy/Paste error:
Last edited by PETStech on Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:11 am
FlyingDiver online

I see commands for Chime on and off, but not for the light. Are they on the same address?

Try putting in a delay before you send the X10 command. It might be getting missed because the X10 devices are still filtering out the Insteon traffic on the power line.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:43 am
PETStech offline

I see commands for Chime on and off, but not for the light. Are they on the same address?

Yes. The lamp is there temporarily (1) so I had a visual indication of the ON/OFF actions and (2) I had to unplug the Chime because it was driving my dog crazy, running to the window each time to see who was at the front door! :D

I added a one second delay and now it's working. So, many thanks.

Posted on
Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:25 pm
akimball offline

I'm seeing fire-sale prices on the Insteon Motion Sensor and mentions of "clearance" sales on the Insteon Motion Sensor and also the Insteon Leak Sensor:

Here's a link for the motion sensor currently at $20.88:
http://www.amazon.com/Insteon-2842-222- ... ion+sensor

I wonder if this means that Insteon will soon be releasing a new motion sensor?

-Al

Posted on
Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:35 pm
Bollar offline

akimball wrote:
I'm seeing fire-sale prices on the Insteon Motion Sensor and mentions of "clearance" sales on the Insteon Motion Sensor and also the Insteon Leak Sensor:

Here's a link for the motion sensor currently at $20.88:
http://www.amazon.com/Insteon-2842-222- ... ion+sensor

I wonder if this means that Insteon will soon be releasing a new motion sensor?

We can only hope. I've removed them all from my network and depend on ZWave motion sensors now.

Insteon / Z-Wave / Bryant Evolution Connex /Tesla / Roomba / Elk M1 / SiteSage / Enphase Enlighten / NOAA Alerts

Posted on
Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:14 pm
akimball offline

Bollar, I'm only mildly satisfied with the current Insteon motion sensor... I currently run about 25 of them at home. Can I ask which Z-wave motion sensor you use? I'm curious and thinking of switching myself. I'm not happy with their size, their one way communication making them difficult to access battery life information, and they're difficult to tune for sunlight and pets. I have three sensors which need constant attention and still haven't solved all issues.

-Al

Posted on
Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:25 pm
Bollar offline

akimball wrote:
Bollar, I'm only mildly satisfied with the current Insteon motion sensor... I currently run about 25 of them at home. Can I ask which Z-wave motion sensor you use? I'm curious and thinking of switching myself. I'm not happy with their size, their one way communication making them difficult to access battery life information, and they're difficult to tune for sunlight and pets. I have three sensors which need constant attention and still haven't solved all issues.

I have the older (supported) Aeotec and the Fibaro sensors.

The Aeotec sensors are huge and have a fairly short battery life. However, they sense humidity, so I used them in bathrooms.
The Fibaro sensors are very small and have a long battery life. No humidity, but are unobtrusive and great at motion sensing. The most annoying part is that temperature is output as C only.

Both are much easier to update via indigo than the Insteon sensors.

I really couldn't comment on tuning for sunlight & pets, but since you can change their settings remotely without jumping through hoops, I would think it would be easier.

Insteon / Z-Wave / Bryant Evolution Connex /Tesla / Roomba / Elk M1 / SiteSage / Enphase Enlighten / NOAA Alerts

Posted on
Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:31 pm
akimball offline

Thanks for the information. Very helpful and very quick. I'll probably wait a couple months before purchasing any additional motion sensors; I want to see if Insteon is updating the product line. I'm wondering how I would make use of the humidity information? It is what it is in my home. The small size of the Fabaro sensor is interesting.

As a side note, it sure would be great if they would upgrade to a powered, rechargeable design with better battery state feedback, but I'm not counting on it. Wishes don't always come true. When you have so many motion sensors, worrying about dead batteries gets old.

-Al

Posted on
Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:40 pm
Bollar offline

akimball wrote:
Thanks for the information. Very helpful and very quick. I'll probably wait a couple months before purchasing any additional motion sensors; I want to see if Insteon is updating the product line.

As a side note, it sure would be great if they would upgrade to a powered, rechargeable design with better battery state feedback, but I'm not counting on it. Wishes don't always come true. When you have so many motion sensors, worrying about dead batteries gets old.

Agree.

The Aeotecs want the AAA batteries changed every 2-3 months. The Fibaro seems to last for more than a year, but it's the esoteric 123A size.

Posted on
Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:38 am
akimball offline

I've spent a little time each day looking at the Fibaro FGMS-001 multisensor and tried to buy a couple; I almost purchased two EU units, and were it not for an alert and honest Ebay seller who allowed me to cancel my order after asking me if I was aware they were not USA frequencies. I'll keep looking for these devices but the only one I've found thus far for USA frequencies is priced at $132 dollars. Fibaro does list indigodomo as a seller but struck out there as well. I'm intrigued by some of the capabilities of the FGMS-001... C to F conversion would have to be accomplished with a python script, but I'm thinking these sensors are ideal for covering entry-ways in my home since they may be able to count the number of people entering (not sure if this can be done using Indigo yet).

In the meantime, I've ordered a Z-wave "Gen5" USB stick (AEON) and a couple of goodies to get me started with Z-wave. I've noticed that the price for the insteon motion sensor has gone up again to $26 or better as of yesterday. I'll keep watching for a reasonable price on the Fibaro sensor.

-Al

Posted on
Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:33 pm
t-star offline

Looks like Insteon has a new MOTION SENSOR II (2844-222) out. Anyone have any experience with it yet on indigo?

Posted on
Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:12 am
jphauck offline

I just received a few new Insteon 2844-222 motion sensors. I unpacked my first one and went about setting it up as a replacement for an existing. The steps I took where to go to the existing device and perform a define and sync. The device connected, sync showed to work per the event log (copied below).

I can see the motion sensor knows I am here. It flashes green for motion. However I am not seeing any of those motion detections in the event log.

I have triggers set up to read a device state change. Off sends a command to execute and action group to turn the room lights off (with a condition that the motion off is set to false - this is how I deactivate the motion sensors if you use a wall switch to turn them on) and then the action group modified several variables for room status and time stamps. I have several on state triggers with conditions around daylight and light settings and brightness levels depending on time of day (I have hue lights as well so colors work by times).

So i am not sure the sensor is doing the job. The previous sensor was so easy to test Am I doing something wrong that would make this new sensor not act the same way?
Two reason I purchased these sensors. I because you can not buy the older model it seems and two because I liked the idea of USB based power for those places where I burn through rechargeable batteries due to traffic and activity.

I could use some wise experience from the user group brain trust here.

Evvent Log
Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to controller 19.BE.8A, flags A2, group FE, data 03 00 00
PowerLinc Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 19.BE.8A, flags E2, group 01, data 03 1F 00
PowerLinc Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 19.BE.8A, flags E2, group 02, data 03 1F 00
Received INSTEON "Outside - Sensor - Motion - Front Porch" off (button 2)
PowerLinc Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to responder 19.BE.8A, flags E2, group 03, data 03 1F 00
PowerLinc Linking - . . found: PowerLinc responder for group 1
PowerLinc Linking - . . found: PowerLinc responder for group 2
PowerLinc Linking - . . found: PowerLinc responder for group 3
PowerLinc Linking - comparing local and remote links
PowerLinc Linking - compare complete
PowerLinc Linking - sync complete
PowerLinc Linking - device "Office - Sensor - Motion" links updated
PowerLinc Linking - syncing PowerLinc links (address 19.BE.8A)
PowerLinc Linking - . . adding: INSTEON plc link to controller 41.62.73, flags 03, group 01, data 00 00 FF
PowerLinc Linking - sync complete
PowerLinc Linking - PowerLinc links updated

Jim H.
Concord, CA

Posted on
Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:43 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

So to clarify, you're seeing NO event log entries that look something like this:

Code: Select all
Mar 21, 2017, 11:37:45 AM
   Received INSTEON                "New Motion Sensor" off (button 1)

Mar 21, 2017, 11:41:07 AM
   Received INSTEON                "New Motion Sensor" on (button 1)

But with the name of your motion sensor? If that's the case, then either the MS isn't sending out it's state changes or the PowerLinc didn't get the linking right despite what it told Indigo. Do a factory reset on the MS and then resync it. Also, try another one to see if it works - you may have a bad MS.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 3 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9