INSTEON Motion Sensor

Posted on
Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:59 pm
rehafer offline

Re: INSTEON Motion Sensor

I’ve been replacing older motion sensors with Aeotec multisensors. They’re more reliable, provide additional data, and can run on USB power where available. (The less batteries I have to change, the better)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:34 pm
dduff617 offline

Re: INSTEON Motion Sensor

I've had pretty good luck with Monoprice multi sensor, aka "ZooZ", aka "Vision". I got four of them a while back (about $35 or $20/ea if you get a good sale) and initially employed them as temperature/humidity sensors around my house. Good stuff:
  • Small size.
  • Nice appearance.
  • The use Z-wave Plus with good range and modern Z-wave features.
  • Good Indigo support...
    • Easy inclusion
    • full support for all sensor modalities (temp, humidity, motion, light, tamper)
    • battery level reporting
    • full configurability via device settings dialog.
    • Indigo will queue configuration commands to device and send them when it wakes up.

I have the model that takes 2xAAA batteries. I think there is another variant of the same sensor that takes CR123A (lithium) battery and gives longer battery life. I have mine set to pretty aggressive reporting threshold for temperature/humidity changes (high sensitivity) so am not being kind to the batteries, but I'm seeing battery life of about 9 months. If I dialed back off the reporting sensitivity, I could probably double that.

The mounting options are a bit limited, compared to Aeotec multi sensor, for example (for which you can get a recessed ceiling mount, for example). They are small and somewhat simple in appearance.

You can get them from Amazon and Monoprice.