INSTEON MorningLinc

Posted on
Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:25 pm
brianlloyd offline

Re: INSTEON MorningLinc

Huh. No matter what I did a set of alkaline batteries barely lasted a month, even if I never remotely locked/unlocked the doors. Switched to Schlage Z-Wave locks and it looks like battery life will be well over a year. The Z-Wave locks report lock state. The Z-Wave protocol is encrypted and more secure to boot.

Posted on
Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:26 pm
akimball offline

brianlloyd wrote:
Huh. No matter what I did a set of alkaline batteries barely lasted a month, even if I never remotely locked/unlocked the doors. Switched to Schlage Z-Wave locks and it looks like battery life will be well over a year. The Z-Wave locks report lock state. The Z-Wave protocol is encrypted and more secure to boot.

L91’s aren’t alkalines. They are non-rechargable Lithium’s.

-Al

Posted on
Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:30 pm
brianlloyd offline

I understand that the L91s are not alkaline. The point is, the MiLocks locks drain a set of alkaline batteries in one month. The Z-wave locks will go over a year on the same batteries. The Z-Wave locks report lock state. The Z-Wave locks use an encrypted protocol making it less likely that someone will hack my locks.

My point is, I finally gave up on the MiLocks locks. I am much happier with the Schlage locks.

Posted on
Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:40 pm
akimball offline

:D Ah, I’ll look into schlage someday. I do notice zwave is more frugal with energy. I’m in the process of replacing all battery powered devices with house power when possible. I actually have a vague product idea I want to see developed someday...

Front doors in smart homes nowdays need power. Power for locks, power for peephole cameras, power for Christmas wreaths, door knock sensors. I’d like this built into the door and frame using power inductor loops, similar to charging your phone or watch wirelessly. This way you power the door and use accessories which can interface with that power....and no bendy bendy wires.

I would use an inductive coil driver on the frame side and on the door, another inductive coil coupled to an ac-dc boost convertor with power-holdup needs being handled within the door devices, as needed.

-Al