INSTEON PowerLinc Modem (2413U)

Posted on
Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:58 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

INSTEON PowerLinc Modem (2413U)

This topic is to discuss the 2413U, our recommended INSTEON interface for North America.

Device Details
How to use with Indigo

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:28 pm
hamw offline

Re: INSTEON PowerLinc Modem (2413U)

I swapped in a different PLM for a moment and then came back to my 2413u. Indigo tried to resync all the devices, including leak sensors, asking for a button press. Is that correct behavior?

Posted on
Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:38 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Yeah, whenever Indigo detects a PowerLinc swap it thinks all of the links in modules are dirty and need to be rewritten with the new PowerLinc address. That assumption is good if you really are doing a permanent swap, but not so good if it is temporary.

If you want to override the dirty flag, then you can shutdown the Indigo Server and hand edit your database XML file. Search on LinkSyncState and change it from 1 to 0.

Posted on
Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:38 pm
hamw offline

Thanks. Can I ignore the message and it will go away, or do I have to do something about it, e.g. reset the xml flags? My basic question was whether Indigo should try to sync leak sensors at all.... seems like they are not really linkable.

A further concern with this PLM (and why I swapped in the other): I tried to replace a dead IOLinc the other day with a define and sync. This PLM would not sync the new IOlink, despite being plugged directly into the IOLInc. I tried again with a second IOLinc, also no luck. Do you think this PLM might be failing and it's time get another before it crashes?

Posted on
Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:52 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

The message will stop if you perform the sync or hand-edit the XML file. The leak sensors do need to be synced if you have swapped PowerLincs, otherwise they will be trying to communicate with the old PowerLinc since that is the link address they have.

I'm not sure if the PLM was failing in regards to the I/O-Linc sync failing. If it cannot sync with it plugged into the same outlet/circuit, then it is either really bad power line noise, a failing PowerLinc, or both I/O-Lincs were failing. It could also fail if you were running an older pre-i2CS firmware supported version of Indigo, but I don't suspect that is the case.

Posted on
Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:06 pm
toille27 offline

My PowerLinc 2413U crapped out on me 2 months out of the two year warranty and I just installed a new one and re-synced everything. Although the process for a few devices took a while due to a manual sync being required, overall it wasn't too bad. One device in particular I had trouble with was an IR Linc Transmitter. It had been some time since I had set it up and I accidentally pushed the set button on the device to sync it and I guess I wiped it's internal settings as I had to set up new scenes for it to work again. Would it have synced with the new PowerLinc if I had used the "Send PowerLinc Button Press" button instead of the set button on the device?

I also saw that there are many people that have had the 2413U modem go bad and I was curious if there were known problems with them? Mine died over a period of two weeks on and off (telling me there was a power failure) and eventually had no power so I'm assuming it was a bad power supply. I opened it up to see if there were any obvious problems and noticed the back of the circuit board had a lot of corrosion on it almost as if there was left over flux on the board. I saw it mentioned somewhere that the internal memory can go bad also. How many people have had a 2413U die on them?

Posted on
Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:18 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Unfortunately, the IR-Linc has to be manually reconfigured if a new PowerLinc is swapped in (there is no avoiding it).

I'm not sure of the 2413U failure rate, but I think overall it has been pretty reliable for folks. Some of them definitely do malfunction, but given the number of people using them it seems to be pretty solid. Probably the biggest problem we've heard about is them losing their ability to send/receive X10 commands (but INSTEON continues to work). It sounds like yours had a much more severe and fatal failure.

Posted on
Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:11 pm
jltnol offline

Ugh!

this is about to make me cry!

So I just got the 2413U interface today, and got a few things up and running.. Next up, the Inteson Thermostat. Got that all wired in and now the 2413 isn't recgonized by Indigo.

It shows up just fine in the Apple About This Mac pane.. and I re-installed the driver and re-started as well.

Nothing I do can get the software to see the hardware interface.

Any suggestions?

Posted on
Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:24 pm
jltnol offline

OK

I'm just an IDIOT! :shock:

FINALLY figured out that I was actually choosing the wrong interface...

My Bad! All's good! :D

Posted on
Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:31 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I'm glad you figured it out and have it working. :-)

Posted on
Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:38 pm
jltnol offline

Problems with PowerLinc Modem (2413U)

Ok so perhaps I've just got a bad unit or something but no communications between this modem and other devices.. :(

Indigo can communicate with other plug-in related devices, but not Inteson.

When I send a status update, this is what I get-->

"Butler's Pantry" status request; send failed (no acknowledgment)

This is wired dimmer switch, and it, like the rest, aren't working. When I try to delete it and set it up again, this is what I get-->

Linking - sending engine version request to 24.0A.5E
PowerLinc Linking - no response from device
PowerLinc Linking - sending engine version request to 24.0A.5E
PowerLinc Linking - sending engine version request to 24.0A.5E
Error Linking - device failed to send engine version information
Error linking failed

Some of my devices work via RF(it's an old house and no "neutral" wiring in place, but even the one dimmer that does have the neutral isn't working either.

Bad Modem? or could something else be wrong?

Lastly, if I need a new modem, are there any Insteon (and X-10) IP options? A device that connects to the LAN and power could be better placed and away from other possible RF interference given the layout of my house....

Posted on
Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:05 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Problems with PowerLinc Modem (2413U)

This may be intermittent power line noise/interference. Are any INSTEON modules controllable?

Try plugging a plugin lamp or appliance module into the same outlet (using a power strip) as the 2413U. Does that work?

Also try plugging the 2413U into different circuits on different outlets. Since we are just troubleshooting an extension cord can be a quick way to do this.

If the 2413U still doesn't work, then I think it is malfunctioning and you should get a warranty replacement (warranty is 2 years).

Indigo only supports USB based PowerLincs.

Posted on
Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:37 pm
jltnol offline

Hey Matt

Oddly enough, the dimmers are responding to Indigo send commands... but Indigo is NOT receiving status updates..

2 of my 3 dimmers are the 2-wire type, so I assume they work on the RF side of Insteon, as does the thermostat...
Problem seems intermittent..

The 3rd dimmer is a 3-wire type, so I'm guessing it communicates over the power lines.. but it too, sometimes can't send back status info..

And when there is no return communication, in the lower left hand corner in Indigo, there is a green status bar that gets 'stuck' in the middle..

Not sure if this is a bad modem, or other interference.

Posted on
Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:14 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

The stuck green nuggets in the progress bar occurs when the PowerLinc reports to Indigo the power line is "busy" and cannot accept a command. This can occur if there is power line noise.

Try my suggestions above with the extension cord to determine if it is power line noise or a malfunctioning PowerLinc.

Posted on
Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:51 pm
jltnol offline

Hey Matt

I'm not sure I have this problem solved just yet. While the modem now seems to be a bit more stable and stays on line, the lights connected to my micro dimmer flash randomly when they are dimmed... not like a club strobe light... just occasionally. It is the only module that I have that works on dual band... all the other devices are RF(2 wire dimmers in an old house)

Right now, the modem isn't plugged into the same circuit as the computer, but before I spend a few bucks on a noise filter, is it safe to assume that's where the problem is, as opposed to a bad modem.... since only this one module has problems?

Your help is always appreciated...