INSTEON PowerLinc Modem (2413U)

Posted on
Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:46 am
gadgetnut offline

INSTEON PowerLinc Modem (2413U) Replacement?

Hello, all. Over the years I have encountered several 2413U unit failures and I usually keep a spare. Searching for this hardware now, the module seems sold out online. Also not finding the serial version. Is there another excellent Insteon interface option?

Posted on
Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:22 pm
Korey offline

Re: INSTEON PowerLinc Modem (2413U)

if you are handy with a soldering iron, seems they can be repaired by replacing the bad caps!

I will be doing this next time mine dies!

--
Korey

Posted on
Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:37 pm
gadgetnut offline

Hey, Korey, yes, I had come across a couple tutorials on repair (here’s a good one) and I, too, will certainly give it a shot next time I encounter a hardware failure. Just the same, it’s hard to believe the vast resources we have devoted to Insteon and Indigo are utterly dependent on such an old piece of hardware. (On Edit: excuse me, I linked to the same great article Korey already mentioned.)

Posted on
Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:52 pm
Korey offline

--
Korey

Posted on
Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:01 pm
gadgetnut offline

Very cool, thanks, Korey. I just re-read the excellent tutorial and it provides step-by-step instructions. Will definitely keep this in mind. Meanwhile, I was able to pick up a used 2413U today on eBay.

Posted on
Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:41 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: INSTEON PowerLinc Modem (2413U) Replacement?

gadgetnut wrote:
Hello, all. Over the years I have encountered several 2413U unit failures and I usually keep a spare. Searching for this hardware now, the module seems sold out online. Also not finding the serial version. Is there another excellent Insteon interface option?

We've been warning people for a while now: you really probably should consider starting the switch to other technologies. We don't have a lot of confidence in Insteon's viability in the market, particularly given that they've discontinued a bunch of products and what they haven't discontinued doesn't appear to be in stock much.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:29 pm
Korey offline

PLM2413U Back in stock!

40% off sale this weekend too! with FOOTBALL40

Grab a spare or 2!

--
Korey

Posted on
Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:31 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Shows out of stock now…

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Wed May 25, 2022 2:31 pm
slappywhite offline

Is there any alternative to the 2413U? I have Insteon light switches and lamplincs and due to a power outage/storm last night my 2413U died. Lasted 5 years this time, so I got lucky with it, but I assumed there would be some sort of hardware out there if it died again. Is my whole Insteon setup dead unless I repair this one? I have one of the Insteon remotes and that still operates the lights without the 2413U being plugged in, so there must be some way to get this working again.

Posted on
Fri May 27, 2022 10:03 am
Korey offline

You might want to try to get it repaired.

--
Korey

Posted on
Fri May 27, 2022 10:52 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

You might want to attempt to locate an Insteon Portable USB Adaptor - since those don't plug into the wall they might have a longer lifespan. Not sure if there are any on eBay or Craigslist...

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:10 pm
mgolden50 offline

Insteon Life after death.

After Insteon's departure this world I was mildly overwhelmed ( no critically overwhelmed). I have more than 50 Insteon devices in my Indigo network. Some of which have been in service for as much as 20 years. Yes-pre Indigo. Every so often one of them fails. I was especially worried about the PoswrLinc Modem 2413U. This critical piece has failed and been replaced 3 times over the years. But if it flails again my whole network is toast! Other modules can fail and be replaced one-by-one with Z Wave (which I've done.)

So enter this fellow on eBay who offers a repair/upgrade service for Insteon stuff: https://www.ebay.com/str/ndssm?_trksid=p4085234.m570.l113337. I had him upgrade and repair an old failed 2413U I had; lying around, and now I have a spare. I also had him do the same with a failed I/OLinc. His prices are very fair and his turn-around time is around 10 days.

I highly recommend his service. :D

Posted on
Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:34 pm
ELWOOD offline

They are not quite dead yet.
They have started manufacturing some products again. I recently received and email from Ken the new owner with the below update.

Ken announces product is online for direct sale.

Hi all,

We have received a lot of questions regarding products. The team has been working hard with our factories, it has been particularly challenging given the global supply chain issues.

But, I am happy to announce we can now accept orders for products (https://shop.insteon.com). You will notice we have transitioned to a more robust shopping platform that will lead to a better user experience for you.

If you have not done so already, please make sure you have created a new account on this store, including creating a new password. NOTE: This user name and password are not tied to your Insteon account that you use to log in to your Insteon mobile app. This is for the new store only.

The current product offering and quantities are limited so we have set a maximum order quantity for some products. And while we have limited inventory at this time, I assure you more product is on the way.

Be sure to follow @insteon on social media (Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter) as we will be posting store inventory updates there.

We currently do not have any 2477D Dimmer Switches but they will be here very soon. The first 2477S On/Off Switches we received are almond. If you need white, you can order a 2400SWH Paddle Change Kit or, if you are replacing an existing switch, you can switch the almond paddle with your current switch.

We know there is a great need for PLMs (PowerLincs 2413S and 2413U) and, while we have them on order, there is an availability issue of one of the chips. We continue to look for other suppliers for this chip but at this time it looks like we will not have PLMs until the first quarter of 2023.

Thank you and I appreciate all the feedback we have been receiving.
Insteon logo
Insteon Technologies
4790 Irvine Blvd. Suite 105-665, Irvine, CA 92620
Unsubscribe - Unsubscribe Preferences

Posted on
Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:48 am
Doctor Q offline

You know what I need? Filterlincs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk