Aeon Labs Z-Stick Plus Gen5 (ZW090)

Posted on
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:10 am
sumocomputers offline

Re: Aeon Labs Z-Stick Plus Gen5 (ZW090)

jay (support) wrote:
From that video, it looks to me like a failed Z-Stick. I've never seen that behavior myself, and I don't believe we've had any reports of it. Perhaps contact Aeotec and see what they have to say about it?

Thanks. I will order another stick and see what happens.

I read some old posts that seemed pretty complicated, wondered with Indigo 7.3, if there is a documented procedure for replacing a Z-Wave interface like the Z-Stick?

Posted on
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:29 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Unfortunately, no. The best advice is to exclude a device then immediately include/sync it. Start from the closest device to the stick and work your way out.

This is why I'd contact Aeotec first to confirm that the stick is failing vs something else.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:35 am
sumocomputers offline

jay (support) wrote:
Unfortunately, no. The best advice is to exclude a device then immediately include/sync it. Start from the closest device to the stick and work your way out.

This is why I'd contact Aeotec first to confirm that the stick is failing vs something else.

I will reach out Aeotec, but in the event I need a new stick:

Should I have both sticks plugged in during the exclude/include process?

Posted on
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:57 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

sumocomputers wrote:
Should I have both sticks plugged in during the exclude/include process?

No - you can exclude devices (included in the old stick) from the new stick, just unplug the old one completely.

And, BTW, just do the inclusion from the existing Indigo device's define and sync dialog - there's no need to delete the Indigo device since that will lose all references to the device from other things (triggers, schedules, actions, etc).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:44 pm
farberm offline

Re: Aeon Labs Z-Stick Plus Gen5 (ZW090) - Cannot add nodes

I want to replace my gen2 stick with a gen5 stick. I removed all 8 of my zwave devices from indigo.

I removed the old gen2 and inserted the new gen5. I reconfigured the device and it is recognized.

I cannot however get any z-wave devices to connect to the network.

I have tried two methods
1. Unplug the Gen5 z-wave, go near each module and push its button. The blue light is blinking slowly but never flashed quickley to recognize the new device being added
2. I leave the gen5 plugged in and go to z-wave start inclusion. The event log says inclusion started. I then push the button on the zwave device I want but it never includes it. The node section stays blank and there are no devices to define in indigo

Frustrating. I must be doing something wrong??

Yes, I reset the gen5 and tried to start from the beginning without luck.

Yes, I inserted the old gen2 and also reset it to make sure they were not still communicating

Posted on
Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:06 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

When you removed the 8 devices from Indigo did you exclude them from the Z-Stick? The devices in Indigo actually don't have to be deleted, but you do have to exclude the Z-Wave modules from the Z-Stick. Note you can exclude the modules using the new Z-Stick (via the menu item under Interfaces->Z-Wave->). That seems odd since it isn't the one that included them but the important thing is the modules receive the command telling them to exclude from the controller they are paired with, so it works.

Posted on
Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:08 am
MarcoGT offline

I plan to buy this stick to replace the S2, or better wait for the Gen7?

Thanks

Posted on
Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:31 am
CliveS offline

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:47 am
MarcoGT offline

I searched only on Amazon, and I did not find it :wink:

Is the Gen7 much better than Gen5?

Posted on
Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:29 am
CliveS offline

MarcoGT wrote:
I searched only on Amazon, and I did not find it :wink:

Is the Gen7 much better than Gen5?

Well it is supported by Indigo 7 onwards, not got one, still suffering with the Gen5 version.

I was going to move a few Z-Wave devices over to the Hubitat as that has a Gen7 Z-Wave chip built in but not tried yet.

The Gen7 should give you better range and faster response vs the Gen5 and has a backup option but that requires a Windows PC

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:32 am
chase offline

Don't forget the Gen7 is 2 better than the Gen5!

Posted on
Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:52 am
CBowles offline

Hey guys,

Since the 2023.1 update, whenever I operate (Turn on / off or request status) my Aeon Labs Dual Nano Switch (ZW132) the Z-Stick plugin crashes with the following in the event log:

Code: Select all
Z-Wave Error                    Error in plugin execution:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 2023.1/IndigoPluginHost3.app/Contents/Resources/PlugIns/serialinterface.py", line 547, in start_comm_thread
    self.process_comm_thread()
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 2023.1/IndigoPluginHost3.app/Contents/Resources/PlugIns/serialinterface.py", line 741, in process_comm_thread
    result = self.process_queue_out_action(action)  # Subclass is required to define.
  File "zwaveinterface.py", line 3544, in process_queue_out_action
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 2023.1/Plugins/.Z-Wave.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/zwavedev2_aeotec_dualnano_zw132.py", line 225, in action_handler_func
    if type(action) != indigo.DeviceAction:
NameError: name 'indigo' is not defined

Z-Wave Error                    exc type is <class 'NameError'>
   Z-Wave Error                    restarting serial connection in 5.0 seconds
   Interface Failure               lost connection with interface
   Z-Wave                          connected to Z-Stick Gen5+ (ZW090) interface on /dev/cu.usbmodemFD1201 (firmware 1.00, SDK unknown)
   Z-Wave                          found module included in controller with no matching device (missing or disabled): 035 - Dimmable Scene Switch
   Z-Wave                          found module included in controller with no matching device (missing or disabled): 046 - Relay Power Switch

None of my other Z-wave modules (Mostly Aeotec with a couple of Fibaro) exhibit the same issue.
Any ideas?

Cheers,

Chris
--

Posted on
Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:15 am
CBowles offline

Hi jay, Matt,

I found the offending code in zwavedev2_aeotec_dualnano_zw132.py in .Z-Wave.indigoPlugin

It was the dual switch bit at the end of the file and after removing the section, it works OK and still reports individual switch elements (Switch 1 & 2) as well as the Dual switch.

Chris
--

Posted on
Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:56 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Fixed in Indigo 2023.1.1, available now.