Re: z wave energy meter DSB28

Posted on
Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:04 am
kw123 offline

I have the same effect sometime the device delivers wild numbers
-negative Energy (V*A*time) (not possible)
- energy less than before (not possible) it has to continuously increase
- very large power (V*A) and also negative numbers (not possible)

if you want to use the energy number to do graphs you need to exclude these numbers and if you do a reset of your data every day/week indigo it becomes very difficult to ignore them as they could come from a regular reset you could do on the unit of just junk data.

it looks like the a/d converter reacts to spikes from the em- sensor and is using a positive integer number range (integer where the first bit is not the sign) and goes into overflow, but then if the first bit gets set indigo might interpret that as a negative number.

Karl

Posted on
Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:19 pm
CrazyFin offline

Alright my Mac Mini (2.4Ghz Dual Core i5, 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD) purchased today now has the 30-day trial version of Indigo installed and I have managed to install my Aeon Labs Series 2 Z-Stick as well and even been able to create some Z-wave devices including the Aeon Labs Smart Energy Meter 2nd edition (DSB28xxx-ZWEU) (3 phase, 4-wire for 230VAC).

And you know what! :lol: IT WORKS without the dreaded bug I have in HS3! :lol:
I am starting to think that HS3 is doing something wrong (as well as Zipato since I had the same problems when playing with ZipaBox)... :roll:

I have not yet learned how to graph data but during my 3 hours of testing and I have been watching the numbers in the gui and I have not seen any high values that looks like total values in any of the three clamps. The total report seems to be an exact sum of the three individual clamps. Really good!
Lets hope that when I learn to graph the three clamps individually that it still does not show any strange high values.

@Karl (kw123): I have never seen those kind of errors that you are reporting like negative energy or energy less than before in HomeSeer HS3. I DID see those kind of strange values when using Zipabox though.

What I am missing in the gui for the energy meter is:

1. Values for Volt and Amps (both the total for all three clamps as well as the individual three clamps). These are available in HomeSeer. I'd like to see them so that I can track the voltage variations from my power grid supplier. :-)
2. Possible to set the reporting time to shorter time periods than the current minimum value of 120 seconds in Indigo. I was using 10-30 seconds in HomeSeer without problems.

I do have the engineering specs for this HEM G2 (Home Energy Meter Generation 2) and I´ll attach it in the next post. It is very good reading and detailed specs of the different parameters to set for different reporting values and intervals.

Attaching a screenshot of the few devices I have synced so far this evening.
Attachments
Synced Z-wave devices into Indigo.tiff
Synced Z-wave devices into Indigo.tiff (131.44 KiB) Viewed 14110 times
Last edited by CrazyFin on Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:24 pm
CrazyFin offline

Attaching the Aeon Labs HEM G2 (DSB28xxx-ZWEU) engineering specs document version 1.13 dated 3rd June 2013...

Hmmm... I can not upload PDF or DOC files?

Posted on
Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:49 pm
DaveL17 offline

No, unfortunately there's too much potential risk with those types of attachments.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:22 pm
kw123 offline

I don't believe you can measure Volts this way.
the coil that is put around the wire is measuring magnetic fields and they are always proportional to V*A. a value of 100 could be produced by 2*50 or 10*10..
or you are talking about a different device, that directly measures voltage which is much easier to do.

Posted on
Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:57 am
CrazyFin offline

Yes fully understand that the coil can not measure it but since the HEM G2 itself has three separate cables to power supply the HEM G2 in addition to the cables that goes from HEM G2 to the three clamps it can also measure Volts on each of the three phases as well (and therefore calculate the Amps also).

When I was using HS3 PRO the Voltage and Amp numbers shown for the individual three phases were correct, it was just that the firmware bug (which does seem to be handled well in Indigo?) did not allow me to get the numbers for the Totals of all three phases together as one total number.

If you read the engineering specs you will be able to see that it reports Volts and Amps as well.

I put the Engineering Specs doc (pdf-format) at my public DropBox-account:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nrrznn38p6hu6bs/Aeon%20Labs%20Home%20Energy%20Meter%20%282nd%20Edition%29%20-%20Engineering%20Spec.pdf?dl=0

Here are three pics of my HEM G2 installation in my house (next step is to install a HEM G2 in my garage as well 8) ).
Attachments
Aeon Labs Home Energy Meter 2nd generation - installation in the mains central inside the house - close up picture of clamps.jpg
Aeon Labs Home Energy Meter 2nd generation - installation in the mains central inside the house - close up picture of clamps.jpg (165.13 KiB) Viewed 14061 times
Aeon Labs Home Energy Meter 2nd generation - installation in the mains central inside the house - wiring of the incoming 3 main phases.jpg
Aeon Labs Home Energy Meter 2nd generation - installation in the mains central inside the house - wiring of the incoming 3 main phases.jpg (145.27 KiB) Viewed 14061 times
Aeon Labs Home Energy Meter 2nd generation -3 clamps and 3 connections for voltage measurements as well.jpg
Aeon Labs Home Energy Meter 2nd generation -3 clamps and 3 connections for voltage measurements as well.jpg (47.08 KiB) Viewed 14061 times

Posted on
Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:25 am
loafbread offline

CrazyFin, thanks for posting the specs at your dropbox.
By-the-way, I found the 3 phase specs here
https://drive.google.com/viewerng/viewe ... TAuMQEBdjI

Posted on
Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:30 am
CrazyFin offline

@loafbread: Thanks for your link as well. Looks like the doc you referred to was a few months newer. Great! :D

Posted on
Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:14 pm
DaveL17 offline

Just received this out-of-bounds message:

Code: Select all
  Z-Wave Error                    received "Basement - Energy Meter" energy total value out-of-bounds 11839471.616 kWh (ignored)
It's a pretty big number. :D

Dave

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:47 pm
jtodd offline

So I just installed a DSB09104 this afternoon and it "seems" to be working, but I'll be able to tell after a few days to see if it's sane. I did notice that it doesn't seem to be sending updates at the interval I specified (120 seconds) so I had to write a schedule to query it. Mine came with no documentation of any sort - nothing. It's 4AA battery-powered, and there is a female USB plug on it for permanent powering. I don't really need to know voltage for the house - I'm just interested in amps used.

I see two variants of the Aeotec (Aeon Labs) whole-home ammeters for single-phase US power: The DSB09104-ZWUS which I find for as low as $29USD. This actually makes it cheaper than the single-plug variants. The other whole-home unit from Aeon Labs I see is the DSB28-ZWUS which is around $100USD. Other than possibly the fact that the AC adapter is built into the unit, and that if I read things correctly in this forum it monitors voltage, and $71, what's the difference?

For posterity, I put the output of the full Z-wave summary here.

JT

Indigo Z-Wave Version: 1.0.301
Node ID: 15
Model: Home Energy Monitor (DSB09104)
Model ID: 00020009
Manufacturer: Aeon Labs
Manufacturer ID: 0086
Protocol Version: 2.78
Application Version: 3.60
Model Definition Version: 3
Library Type: 3
Class Name: Multilevel Sensor (routing)
Class Hierarchy: 04 : 21 : 01
Command Class Base: 31
Command Versions: 20v1 80v1 85v1 86v1 60v2 72v1 70v1 31v2 32v2
Multi-Endpoint Types: 1:(21 : 01), 2:(21 : 01)
Multi-Endpoint Classes: 1:[31 32], 2:[31 32]
Multi-Instance Counts: - none -
Features: routing, battery, beaming, frequentWaking, energyMeter
Neighbors: 1, 6, 10, 11, 12
Associations: 1:[1]
Config Values: 3:0 4:50 5:50 6:50 7:50 8:10 9:10 10:10 11:10 111:7200 112:600 113:600 103:0 102:0 101:16131

Posted on
Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:15 pm
manoncloud9 offline

I believe it will not send updates when on battery power. Try powering it with a USB adapter and I think you will get the reporting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:57 pm
CrazyFin offline

@Matt

I forgot to ask if it would be possible in a future release of Indigo to get these features:

1. Be able to get the Voltage and Amps values (both the total for all three clamps as well as the individual three clamps) into the Indigo GUI as columns as well as into the database so that I can plot them?
These are available in HomeSeer and works fine and the voltage is NOT measured by the clamps but from the three separate connections to the main phase lines (and with Voltage and Watt available it is easy to calculate the Amps. :-) ). I'd like to see them so that I can track the voltage variations from my power grid supplier. :-)

2. Be able to see the kWh next to the W column in the Indigo GUI?

3. Possible to set the reporting time to shorter time periods than the current minimum value of 120 seconds in Indigo? I was using 10-30 seconds in HomeSeer without problems.

Is there an official ticket system where users can add feature requests or what is the procedure for that?

Posted on
Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:20 pm
kw123 offline

I would second at least the Voltage input be made available in indigo..

Karl

Posted on
Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:53 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I've added #1 and #2 to the feature request list.

For #3, try using the Interfaces->Z-Wave->Modify Configuration Parameter... menu item to change the value of parameter 111. Set the param size to 4 bytes, then enter the param value you want, in seconds.

Posted on
Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:20 pm
CrazyFin offline

Hi Matt

I just wanted to confirm that changing the value of parameter 111 worked perfectly fine. I now have "realtime" graphs of our power (watt) usage that gets data every 15th second. :-)

Looking forward to (hopefully) see volts as well as amps being reported/stored into SQLite database in a future release of Indigo.