Re: z wave energy meter DSB28

Posted on
Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:53 pm
kw123 offline

Yes if it's a schuko it's 220 plus neutral+ ground. But you normally don't know ( you could measure it )which is 220.in the outlet yes but you can put the plug in 180 flipped
Anyway you got it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:42 pm
bschollnick2 offline

bschollnick2 wrote:
matt (support) wrote:
I'm not sure where the problem is: firmware bug in the energy module, firmware bug in the Z-Stick, firmware bug in the Z-Wave communication stack (caused by collisions or noise), or a USB level or driver problem. I will check how Indigo is handling the checksum for that particular packet to make sure there isn't something Indigo can do to easily identify the bad packets.

Whatever happened with this? I'm considering picking up the Zwave DSB28 energy meter as well, since our electric bill was outrageous a few months back.. I'm wondering if there was someway I could of actively detected it, or countering RGE's claims...

Does the data just go into the Indigo log? Or does it accumulate in a state in the device?

Does anyone know how accurate this is? Is the data reliable?

Just as an FYI - I am working on a plugin for tracking the energy use - See viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12248 for more details.

------
My Plugins for Indigo (v4, v5, and v6) - http://bit.ly/U8XxPG

Security Script for v4 - http://bit.ly/QTgclf
for v5 - http://bit.ly/T6WBKu

Support Forum(s) - http://www.perceptiveautomation.com/userforum/viewforum.php?f=33

Posted on
Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:17 am
DaveL17 offline

Just installed one of these - Aeotec DSB28 Rev. 2 - and am so far very happy. The installation was very straightforward; my biggest concern (which wasn't big) was that I would have to tap the device into the panel mains for power (I was happily surprised to find that the device came with a standard US wall plug for power.) I can provide a brief how-to post if folks would find that helpful.

Dave

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:28 pm
DaveL17 offline

Got a request for a quick how-to on installation.

This is a U.S. version, Rev. 2 installed in a standard 110v 2-phase panel. Probably goes without saying, but this requires you to be in proximity to a lot of electricities that can do you great harm. If you aren't comfortable working around many electrons, I'd recommend turning to a professional. The safest bet is to pull the mains and work on the dead side of the panel.

IMG_2037.JPG
Aeotec DSB28-US
IMG_2037.JPG (88.47 KiB) Viewed 12698 times

Here's what's in the box.
IMG_2040.JPG
Aeotec DSB28-US unboxed.
IMG_2040.JPG (129.78 KiB) Viewed 12698 times

Typical U.S. 2-phase panel--rust and all. You'll notice three thick black cables entering through the top of the panel. These are the two phases and neutral.
IMG_2046.JPG
Typical U.S. 2-Phase panel.
IMG_2046.JPG (208.43 KiB) Viewed 12698 times

I placed the transmitter outside the panel. You'll notice that this version has two connectors for two clamps (one clamp for each phase.) The connectors are weather resistant if mounted in this orientation. Indigo will provide a facility for three clamps--but understands that only two are connected.
IMG_2050.JPG
DSB28-US mounted externally.
IMG_2050.JPG (159 KiB) Viewed 12698 times

The two clamps installed. The clamps go around the wires. There's no need to cut in or splice any wires. If you haven't pulled the mains, there's a lot of electricity in these wires. Be careful. Know what you're doing.
IMG_2051.JPG
Clamps attached to the 2 phases.
IMG_2051.JPG (165.38 KiB) Viewed 12698 times

The clamps must be installed in a specific orientation. This orientation depends on the individual application. What's important is knowing which phase will provide power to the DSB-28. In my case, it's the phase on the left. The arrow goes towards the utility on this phase (the phase that provides the power to the unit), and away from the utility on the other phase.
IMG_2042.JPG
Clamp orientation indicator.
IMG_2042.JPG (107.94 KiB) Viewed 12698 times

I used a standard Romex clamp (and numerous Monoprice wire ties) to hold the wires.
IMG_2053.JPG
DSB28 wires exiting the panel.
IMG_2053.JPG (148.27 KiB) Viewed 12698 times

The final result. The unit draws its power from a standard power cord which in my case runs to an outlet mounted to the other side of the panel. You could cut the power cord and connect it straight to the mains, but I saw no need. There's a fair bit of slack in the wires which would allow for the transmitter to be mounted a good bit further away from the panel if interference is a problem. Interference wasn't a problem for me at all. The inclusion/exclusion button is on the back of the unit. It slides easily out of the mounting plate.
IMG_2054.JPG
Final placement.
IMG_2054.JPG (149.88 KiB) Viewed 12698 times

That's it. The entire thing from start to finish was less than an hour.
Last edited by DaveL17 on Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:41 am
jsable offline

Dave,

I just got the same energy meter this morning and I am mostly ignorant about electrical panels, and perhaps you can go a little more in detail for me... The wires you are connecting your clamps to are above the main circuit breaker, wouldn't there still be power going to these wires even though the main breaker is shut off? Getting zapped is my biggest concern...
Also, I am a little confused about the arrows on the clamps. I had to remove the #1 and #2 stickers from mine to see them. If I understand what you posted, you need to have one arrow pointing towards the utility (or, for lack of better terminology), to the street, and the other pointing towards the fuses in the panel? Like you, I have an outlet right next to the panel. So, I would need to trace that wire back to the fuse in the panel and figure out which phase it is connected to, and that is the side that would need to point the arrow on the clamp to the street?

Thanks for posting this!

~John

Edit - I don't have the same Aeon Labs Energy Meter, I got the DSB09104, guessing first generation device, but my question still applies :lol:

Posted on
Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:37 am
DaveL17 offline

Hi John - happy to help.

1. on my setup, I have a mains cut off outside my house which cuts power to those wires--it's between the meter and the panel. You are right that tripping the main breaker which is also sometimes referred to as a "Service Disconnect" (which is past the point in the circuit where the clamps are connected) will *NOT* cut power to those wires. If you aren't comfortable working in that area I'd suggest hiring a pro. This is something that they could do in minutes.

2. Yes. Trace the live wire from the outlet back to the panel breaker. That breaker was attached to "Live 1" within my setup. You definitely want to follow the instructions for your situation, but that's how it was for mine. (sorry for the blurry scan.) Live 1 points to the street and live 2 points towards the house.

Dave
Screen Shot 2014-12-28 at 10.34.15 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-12-28 at 10.34.15 AM.png (199.67 KiB) Viewed 12693 times

Posted on
Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:10 pm
jsable offline

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the additional info! I will have to see if I have a shutoff between my meter and the service disconnect.

~John

Posted on
Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:35 pm
DaveL17 offline

Good luck and please be safe!

Posted on
Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:08 am
howartp offline

I'm quite interested in one of these, but suspect I might need two.

We have single-phase UK power, but also solar panels on the roof. I'd probably need to use two units to determine the power used and the power generated then have a custom plugin (or set of scripts) report back the various values as to what we're currently doing with electricity.

Posted on
Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:27 am
DaveL17 offline

howartp wrote:
I'm quite interested in one of these, but suspect I might need two.

We have single-phase UK power, but also solar panels on the roof. I'd probably need to use two units to determine the power used and the power generated then have a custom plugin (or set of scripts) report back the various values as to what we're currently doing with electricity.

I have been thinking about a similar application. We have a natural gas generator which kicks in automatically if the utility power is interrupted. I would like to add a second unit to the output of the generator to detect whether it's running.

Dave

Posted on
Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:41 pm
jsable offline

Dave,

Thanks for all your help, I was able to install it without any issues. I had no shut off between the meter and the service disconnect, but I was able to attach it. I have a question as to how you made the control page with your graph (saw it posted in another forum topic)? I would like to do something like this as well. Was it easy to set up?

Thanks,

~John

Posted on
Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:21 pm
DaveL17 offline

Hi John - glad you were able to make it work and that you're still with us! :D

The chart you're referring to is this one (I think.) That's a little trickier...

energyUsage.png
energyUsage.png (9.76 KiB) Viewed 12586 times

The chart is created using two scripts. The first is a Python script which writes the sensor data to a CSV file every 15 minutes. The second script is a Gnuplot script with generates an updated chart every 15 minutes based on the last 3 days worth of data. Where you see the day name, that represents Noon on that day. The second part requires you to have Gnuplot installed on your machine. You might want to look into using Karl's IndigoPlotD plugin--I roll my own only because I wanted greater control than Karl (understandably) can provide through the plugin.

If this is something that you want to try to tackle, I'm happy to share my scripts with you.
Dave

Posted on
Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:12 pm
CrazyFin offline

Hi all

New to this forum and not yet a user of Indigo but probably from this weekend. Will pick up my Mac Mini tomorrow end then start my 30-day trial adventure of Indigo. 8)
(I am currently a user of the software HS3 PRO from HomeSeer.)

I have been struggling a LOT during the end of 2013 to beginning of 2014 to get the Aeon Labs Smart Energy Meter 2nd edition (DSB28xxx-ZWEU) (3 phase, 4-wire) work properly in HS3.

I just wanted to highlight to all of you who are using the 2nd edition of this energy meter that up until firmware 1.5 (which I have) has a really crazy bug where the unit reports the TOTAL numbers for kWh, Watts, Volts and Amps to the same association group as for clamp 1!

This gives the result that you will get really crazy jumps in the values when trying to read the values for clamp 1. Homeseer solved it just by ignoring the TOTAL reports coming from the unit. I am now using the separate values for all 3 individual clamps to calculate my total usage in kWh, W, V and A.
I am not sure if this is possible to solve in this way in Indigo?

Aeon Labs has confirmed this firmware bug in versions up to 1.5 and that the units are NOT user upgradable... :-(
Make sure that you get a unit that has firmware 1.6 or higher if you are buying or using the 2nd generation of this energy meter.

Posted on
Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:38 pm
DaveL17 offline

@CrazyFin - Welcome!

Thanks for the heads up. This is helpful information. I have been meaning to do an audit of the data and this has given me a good excuse to do that.

Dave

Posted on
Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:19 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Hi CrazyFin,

Welcome to the forums. Thanks for the info about the firmware DSB28 bug – I hadn't heard about that one.

Once you get Indigo setup and presuming it doesn't handle the bug correctly, choose the Interfaces->Z-Wave->Configure... menu item to turn on the debug logging to capture the data from it. If you can then annotate which packets are bogus we'll look into adding the workaround to Indigo as well. No promise on an ETA though, we have lots of Z-Wave requests queued up at the moment since we are working on the major update to Indigo Touch.