INSTEON I/O-Linc

Posted on
Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:17 pm
Devildog0331 offline

Re: INSTEON I/O-Linc

Thank you, Jay. The sensor was good to go but a factory reset did the trick. The long list of commands in the event log is gone and it appears to be operating normally.

Now if I can get my AD2USB to play nice with my panel and Indigo, I can start on the control pages for everything.

Posted on
Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:27 pm
Devildog0331 offline

Same device... different problem. Now I know why these things are tagged with Hard in the difficulty in the Wiki...

Problem:
I can remotely open the door but once it's opened, I cannot close it. No issues using the wall control unit that came with the opener - only when trying to use the I/O-Linc.
The KPL I set up works as expected when opening the door (including the LED). When trying to close it, the light flashes then remains lit - no movement on the door. Nothing in the event log other than showing that an on command was sent via KPL button 8.

Setup:
**Newer model I/O-Linc (2 pairs of 2 conductor wire - no green, red and black).
**When the door is closed - the senor (binary input 1) reads closed.
**The Genie opener relay is normally open and closing the contacts triggers the motor. The IOL output is wired from the N/O and COM (far right side) to the screw terminals on the openers wall unit.
**Programmed to be in Momentary C using Indigo's 'Interfaces/Insteon/X10 Power Line/Set IO Linc Momentary Mode' method.
**Edited the device's settings to mimic those shown here: http://wiki.indigodomo.com/doku.php?id=iolinc_garage_door_alert#how_to_create_an_email_or_sms_alert_if_a_garage_door_is_left_open_at_night
(in short - TICK-update Indigo's internal device input sensor state CHECK-Momentary mode for output relay CHECK-Automatically read relay state 4 seconds after it is toggled)
**Have a RemoteLinc 2 programmed to operate it and a KeypadLinc. The KPL is setup as instructed here: [url]http://wiki.indigodomo.com/doku.php?id=garage_door_kpl_control&s[]=keypadlinc[/url].

If I left anything out, please let me know. I've been trying to figure things out on my own but this one has me stumped...

Posted on
Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:14 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Let's first get the I/O-Linc working as expected, then worry about getting the KeypadLinc button to control it.

Select the I/O-Linc device in Indigo's main window. Is the "1" button at the bottom of the window ON (which would be dark)?

What happens if you press the 1 button? Does it become dark, then a few seconds later turn OFF (become light)?

What does the Event Log show? Try it a few times waiting several (30?) seconds between each press. Copy/paste the Event Log results.

And most importantly: what does the garage door do? Does pressing the 1 button simulate pressing the garage wall controller button?

Posted on
Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:54 pm
Devildog0331 offline

The device in Indigo wasn't showing the state to start off. The 1 was Light Gray and the Binary Input showed open even though my garage door is closed. Once I hit "Send Status Request", it instantly came back with: 1 is still Light Gray and the sensor now correctly reflects the true state.

*Using the iOS app, I hit the 1 (which turned Blue), the lights on the wall panel went out for about 2 seconds (the same as when I push the actual button) while the door was opening. The sensor also shows being open. After a couple minutes or so waiting, the iOS client still shows a blue 1 (not updating?).
*Looking at the Mac client side, Ditto as the iOS except the 1 is dark gray. Log output:

Code: Select all
  Sent INSTEON                    "Garage Opener" on
  Received INSTEON                "Garage Opener" off
  Error                           "Garage Opener" status request; send failed (no acknowledgment)
  Error                           "Garage Opener" status request; send failed (no acknowledgment)

After doing a "Send Status Request", the lights on the Mac and iOS clients both went to Light Gray/White. Log Output:

Sent INSTEON                    "Garage Opener" status request (received input sensor: open)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Garage Opener" status request (received output relay: off)

Going to close it, using the 1: The door closed but the 1 is still lit. However... the Binary Input is correct (shows closed). Log Output:

Sent INSTEON                    "Garage Opener" on
  Sent INSTEON                    "Garage Opener" status request (received input sensor: open)
  Received INSTEON                "Garage Opener" on

After doing a manual update via "Send Status Request" on the Mac: The 1 went back to Light Gray/White on both clients. But I had to send the request twice. This was several minutes after the door closed. Log Output:

Sent INSTEON                    "Garage Opener" status request (received output relay: off)

Jun 20, 2014, 12:30:59 AM
  Sent INSTEON                    "Garage Opener" status request (received input sensor: closed)

Looks as if it's not updating in Indigo because the automatic status updates are failing... any idea as to why (I know that's not because of Indigo)? I can understand it failing while the opener is working... but not a few minutes after it stops. Also, how can I overcome the updating issue when we don't always use Indigo to open the door?

Thanks again.

--Richard

Posted on
Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:35 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Hi Richard,

Devildog0331 wrote:
Looks as if it's not updating in Indigo because the automatic status updates are failing... any idea as to why (I know that's not because of Indigo)?

I believe you are correct. There is an underlying signal problem which is causing the issues. It might be that the I/O-Linc is on a different power line leg than your PowerLinc, thus has to be bridged via RF (and the RF range may be borderline). Or it could be there is power line noise from something causing an issues (not the garage motor since you saw errors after the garage motor was no longer running). You can find some signal troubleshooting tips here. You might just need another dual band module (AccessPoint RF, dual-band LampLinc, etc.) added to the network.

Devildog0331 wrote:
Also, how can I overcome the updating issue when we don't always use Indigo to open the door?

I think once you have the signal problem taken care of it will work. The I/O-Linc will broadcast out when the input changes and Indigo will update the open/close state based on that. I currently have this setup with an I/O-Linc in my house and it works well regardless of how the garage is opened.

Posted on
Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:47 am
Devildog0331 offline

Thanks for the weekend reply, Matt. After reading the troubleshooting article and looking over my garage, I think I know what the problem is.
I have a T5 florescent light strip on the same circuit as the opener. I'm almost willing to bet it's that ballast especially since it's only a few feet away from the IOLinc (sometimes the obvious isn't so much until somebody points it out :oops: ).

There are a few others that may be contributing but they're not on the same circuit: a refrigerator that runs more often than not, a couple LED light strips, and a couple power tool battery chargers.

As for the power leg, it's certainly a possibility and I'll start down that road if the other doesn't pan out.

I'll advise on the outcome in the next day or so.

Posted on
Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:12 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

If it turns out to be the light, then either this filter or this filter might help. Not sure which one would work better, but note that X10 signal filters in-general do help with INSTEON as well...

Posted on
Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:23 pm
Devildog0331 offline

Matt,

I've got all the signal issues resolved. Turned out to be both the T5 light and the I/O Linc being on another power leg (w/ a weak RF signal to another device). I relocated the device and I have a SignalLinc headed this way to prevent any other issues that may arise. Bottom line... No red text. Also, I ordered the xpf 20amp wired in filter and a FilterLinc to have on hand - just in case.

Onto the KPL... Following the Wiki article, I still had issues with not being able to close the door after opening it - just from the KPL though. I fixed it by reversing this instruction:
Configure your KPL button to always send ON commands regardless of the LED state. The I/O Linc expects an ON command to turn on the output momentarily to start your door opening or closing. In Indigo 6 you can do this with the Set KeypadLinc Button Toggle Mode… menu item on the Interfaces→INSTEON/X10 Power Line submenu. The same menu item can be found in Indigo 5 on the Plugins→INSTEON Commands submenu.

It now sends an on command to open and an off command to close.

After doing some testing, it appears to properly track the current state and the button doesn't send the wrong command. All that said... It's not set up as described. Did I do something wrong or should I expect something to not work correctly if I try to integrate with either the IOL or the KPL later on?

Thanks,
Richard

Posted on
Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:52 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

So, your garage door is opposite of what most door openers expect from the toggle button. Most doors will look for a momentary circuit close that is the signal that the door should toggle open/close. Your door motor apparently expects something different. That's the tricky part to dealing with garage doors - they don't all work the same way.

In any event, glad it's working for you.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:09 pm
Welshdog offline

I've got a 2450 that malfunctioned after a big thunderstorm. It is used to indicate open/closed state of our garage door. The garage faces the street and is only about 30 feet from it. Sometimes when I'm working outside I open the garage and then might go to the backyard, get busy and then forget later that the door is open. A light on an Insteon switch in in the living area comes on when the door is open, so we can easily see the door status.

What I'm wondering before I plunk down another $45 for a new 2450 is this: is there another option for this type of sensing? I see Insteon has the 2843-222 TriggerLinc which is cheaper and seems a good solution. Right now I have a magnetic switch on the door, a wire to the 2450 and then the 2450 in an outlet in the garage. It works, but is kind of messy.

Anybody using TriggerLinc?

Thanks.

Posted on
Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:24 pm
Devildog0331 offline

If you're just interested in the sensor side and not remote operation.... You could use the Insteon wireless open/close sensor. They have a couple Z-Wave tilt sensors that would work too - I just can't say for sure if they're supported in Indigo (I would assume so though).
Either way would require a simple trigger that would operate the switch you mentioned...

If you go the Insteon on way... The installation would be a little more difficult than a simple tilt sensor (shielding, etc.).

Posted on
Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:21 pm
Welshdog offline

Yeah I just need the sensor - not control. I think the TriggerLinc will do just fine and it is a better value. My Insteon system is very stable now, and I have numerous dual band devices that should give me good connectivity. I don't know that I'm ready to try Z-Wave yet. Not sure there is any reason to, but I will consider it someday.

Posted on
Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:18 pm
nathanw offline

Why 12 output boxes?

Having just set up my first I/O Linc box, I'm curious why the UI shows twelve(!) output control boxes. What devices have that many? Is there a multi-output I/O Linc? Even the Smartenit boxes only go up to 8, as far as I know. Or is that just how many bits are reserved in the protocol?

Posted on
Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:58 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Indigo is still using an old, legacy, device model for the I/O-Linc. As you guessed, that model is also used by the EZIO line. The 4 bonus bits were just some extra spacing in the definition added.

I'd like to convert the I/O-Linc over to use some of the new device models that the Z-Wave devices use, which would result in 2 grouped devices (one for the relay and one for the input) instead of the single behemoth device that tries to do too much. Not sure when we'll get that converted over though, but I'd like to see it happen since it will make it more intuitive/usable to use the I/O-Linc.

Posted on
Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:13 am
mabrown offline

From an applescript how do you "turn on" an I/O-Linc? I've tried just the regular turnonIndigoDevice("Garage Door") but get an unknown command back. I could set a variable and have a trigger watch it but if I could just call the device directly I'd rather do that.