Smartenit EZIO Series

Posted on
Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:32 pm
bgw offline

Re: Smartenit EZIO Series

It looks like I'm having the same problem that akimball was having on 5/7/15, except without the "IT'S A MIRACLE! It worked..." part...

akimball or anyone else, have you found any reproducible behavior for linking to EZIO8SA/2413S?

Also, the cable which came with my 2413S looked like ethernet on one side, with serial (9-pin female) on the other. So, I just tried using a regular ethernet cable (since the provided cable won't connect to the EZIO8SA) . Maybe this could be a problem? Maybe I need some sort of crossover cable? Looks like only 4 wires are used on the cable they provided. I see that wires 1 and 8 are Tx and Rx on both the 2413S and the EZIO8SA... my current best guess is that I need a cable which crosses over these wires, but I'm kind of inexperienced with this stuff and want to avoid frying anything.

akimball, you mention the "reset" button on the 2413S... I see one labeled "set"... I assume this is fine but maybe another problem?

Thanks very much for any help.

Bruce

Posted on
Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:27 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

bgw wrote:
Also, the cable which came with my 2413S looked like ethernet on one side, with serial (9-pin female) on the other. So, I just tried using a regular ethernet cable (since the provided cable won't connect to the EZIO8SA) . Maybe this could be a problem?

Yes, sounds like they sent you the wrong cable. I'd contact Smartenit for a replacement cable (very unlikely an ethernet cable would work).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:45 pm
akimball offline

Yes, the set button works as reset (hmmmm perhaps the first time you push it, you “set” and if you do it again you “reset”. ...press it again it’s a rereset.).

Most 3 year olds agree....I’m a funny guy.

-Al

Posted on
Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:34 pm
bgw offline

Great, thanks for all the super-quick feedback... I will try a different cable. I asked smartenit to send me one... but I might just hack something together with wire nuts to test it... I'm guessing that might work OK for serial stuff.

Posted on
Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:30 am
bgw offline

It looks like the cable I need came with the ezio8sa, and NOT with the 2413S. Problem is, I must have misplaced the cable...

I got this message from smartenit:

"The EZIO8SA ships with a Cat 5E patch cable (3ft). If your Ethernet cable did not seem to work, then what you may need is a 12V power supply to power up the EZIO8SA. The cable you received with the Serial PLM is the correct serial cable (RJ45 to Serial) for that PLM."

I tried a couple different cat5e cables, and also one where I crossed pins 1 and 8 (tx and rx). None of those worked.

Jay, you wrote " (very unlikely an ethernet cable would work)."... how confident are you about that? Just trying to figure out if I should abandon that route of experimentation.

I have to say, it's pretty annoying that they don't put the insteon address of the ezio8sa somewhere on that thing...

Another piece of info, I have been using a multimeter on the 12V and GND pins of the ezio8sa to see if it's powered on (no power LED...), and it's reading about 11V. I wonder if the unit might be having problems, or if this is insignificant.

I guess I could just get a couple 5010J's or 5010V's but it seems like a waste of the hardware I have on hand. I guess I have to figure out how valuable my time is...

Posted on
Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:19 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

bgw wrote:
Jay, you wrote " (very unlikely an ethernet cable would work)."... how confident are you about that?

Not super confident. Ethernet cables are usually straight-through, and it sounds like from their reply that should work. It's possible your ethernet cable is a crossover cable (meaning the TX and RX wires are crossed). Most ethernet hubs/switches will detect those kinds of cables and automatically adjust so it may still work fine as an ethernet cable.

Basically, I'm not sure. If they say a normal (straight through) ethernet cable should work, then I'd take them at their word.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:26 pm
MattDinOC offline

IoT8-Z I/O controller

Hi all! I'm reading up a bit on this IoT8-Z device... It seems to be an updated version of the EZIO8SA.

https://smartenit.com/product/iot8-z/

Wondering if anyone has any experience with it? It seems to be a native ZigBee device. To add it to an Insteon network, you need to add their ZBPLM device, which among other things, looks like it can serve as a bridge between Insteon and ZigBee. (I'm using words like "seems to be" and "looks like it" because the documentation that I could find is not 100% clear.) When purchasing from smartenit.com, this combo adds up to $190.

The previous solution, the EZIO8SA/PLM Combo, sells for $180 on smartenit.com. And it uses a wired connection between the two devices, which ought to be more reliable.

So I guess this IoT8-Z device is good for a couple different categories of customers:
  • people who want to add additional ZigBee devices down the road
  • people who already have ZigBee running
In either case, you need to be willing to be a trail blazer, possibly being the first Indigo users of this device ;)

Does that sound like I've got it right?

Thanks,
Matt

Posted on
Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:29 am
Different Computers offline

Is the ZBPLM compatible with Indigo???

That would be amazing.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:47 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: IoT8-Z I/O controller

MattDinOC wrote:
Hi all! I'm reading up a bit on this IoT8-Z device... It seems to be an updated version of the EZIO8SA.

https://smartenit.com/product/iot8-z/

Wondering if anyone has any experience with it? It seems to be a native ZigBee device. To add it to an Insteon network, you need to add their ZBPLM device, which among other things, looks like it can serve as a bridge between Insteon and ZigBee. (I'm using words like "seems to be" and "looks like it" because the documentation that I could find is not 100% clear.) When purchasing from smartenit.com, this combo adds up to $190.

The previous solution, the EZIO8SA/PLM Combo, sells for $180 on smartenit.com. And it uses a wired connection between the two devices, which ought to be more reliable.

So I guess this IoT8-Z device is good for a couple different categories of customers:
  • people who want to add additional ZigBee devices down the road
  • people who already have ZigBee running
In either case, you need to be willing to be a trail blazer, possibly being the first Indigo users of this device ;)

Does that sound like I've got it right?

Thanks,
Matt

I think it's unlikely that it will work. I don't believe the ZBPLM is an actual technology bridge (between Insteon and ZigBee), but rather whatever is talking to it has to know how to speak Insteon and/or ZigBee. Indigo doesn't speak ZigBee natively (though someone could write a plugin as we've stated when discussion the Z-Wave/ZigBee combo interface from GoControl).

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:49 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Different Computers wrote:
Is the ZBPLM compatible with Indigo???

That would be amazing.

Doubtful, but we've never tried it ourselves. In any event, Indigo couldn't use the ZigBee component because we don't speak ZigBee's protocol/API. So, at best, it could function as a an Insteon interface (like a PowerLinc - and, in fact, it's likely a 2413 under the hood with a daughter board to do ZigBee).

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:53 pm
MattDinOC offline

Re: IoT8-Z I/O controller

jay (support) wrote:
I think it's unlikely that it will work. I don't believe the ZBPLM is an actual technology bridge (between Insteon and ZigBee), but rather whatever is talking to it has to know how to speak Insteon and/or ZigBee. Indigo doesn't speak ZigBee natively (though someone could write a plugin as we've stated when discussion the Z-Wave/ZigBee combo interface from GoControl).

Thanks Jay. :) It's too bad they don't really explain what's going on here. I'm definitely gonna go with the EZIO8SA/PLM combo. I find it odd that Smarthome doesn't offer any multichannel I/O modules, but glad that Smartenit does!

Posted on
Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:30 pm
macguyincali offline

Wasn't sure where to post this. But... Does anyone know if the EZFlora 5010A could be used as an I/O device? I have a few I/OLincs that have died and an EZFlora which I bought long time ago, but never used. I imagine it has some I/O capabilities. Wonder if those could be used to detect a sensor tripping (Dakota Alert). I have 2 additional sensors I need to capture input from but the I/OLincs aren't easy to come by.

Is this worth pursuing or should I look at some sort of Z-Wave I/O option?

Posted on
Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:57 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

The EZ-Flora is primarily an output only device for controlling the valve solenoids. It might have a rain sensor input, but I don't believe that is reported to Indigo directly (Indigo doesn't create a sensor device for it). And even when using it for outputs it is pretty specific to irrigation control since only 1 output/valve can be activated at a time.

I'd look at using Z-Wave instead. The FortrezZ MIMO2 supports 2 binary and 2 analog inputs, or the MIMO Lite supports a single binary and analog input.

If you don't mind a battery operated module, then you could use a Z-Wave door/window sensor (some have wire terminals you can patch into).

Posted on
Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:06 am
bluehouse offline

I’ve thought about this too as some of my EZIO-6s (with 4 analog I/Os) have died over the years. Last year I bought a Z-wave Zooz Zen17 relay to make a rain inhibitor for my lawn sprinkler. The bonus is that it also has 2 I/O ports.

YRMV but so far I’ve been happy with Zooz products. Plus they have good, prompt support and are relatively inexpensive: the ZEN17 may not have as many I/O ports as the EZIOs do but they’re about 1/4 the price of the old EZIO6s were, as I recall.

Not an endorsement, but I’ve been buying Zooz stuff from the https://www.thesmartesthouse.com. They have several decent sales/year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:48 pm
akimball offline

Thanks for the Zooz tips. I was never fond of the insteon IO devices and have wondered about replacements. Any reliability issues with zooz? Latency problems? TIA. -al

-Al