Coordinated control of iTunes, Pandora and AirFoil

Posted on
Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:22 pm
hamw offline

playpause works on one computer but not the other

Something interesting is that the below applescript for playpause, when run from the Applescript editor, does not toggle play/pause on the Mini that Indigo is on, but does do it on my iMac.

Code: Select all
tell application "PandoraBoy"
activate
playpause
end tell

I tried rebooting with Indigo, PandoraBoy etc all turned off so the airfoil/itunes/pandoraboy script wasn't running. Made no difference.

Any thoughts? I'm running 10.6.4 and PandoraBoy 0.8.2 on both computers. No hotkeys are assigned in either pandoraboy or in keyboard prefs.

Posted on
Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:46 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Coordinated control of iTunes, Pandora and AirFoil

I can't think of any reason that wouldn't work. Perhaps it's time to do a reformat on the mini?

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:10 pm
hamw offline

In setting up my iTunes/PandoraBoy Indigo Touch page, I am using the variables "CurrentTrack", "CurrentArtist" etc to display tunes playing. This works fine except that if there is nothing playing on either and both are paused or stopped, the display still shows the last song. I've looked at the script to see if it can be modded to display either a blank or "None" if neither iTunes nor PandoraBoy are playing, but it was not obvious to me where that would go.

I was thinking if this snippet could be changed to an if/then/else it might work? But it would also need to coordinate with PandoraBoy.
Code: Select all

setPropValue("iTunesIsPlaying", currentlyPlaying, false)
   if (currentlyPlaying) then
      setPropValue("CurrentPlaylist", curPlayList, false)
      setPropValue("CurrentArtist", curArtistName, false)
      setPropValue("CurrentAlbum", curAlbumName, false)
      setPropValue("CurrentTrack", curTrackName, false)
   end if

Posted on
Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:04 pm
rlust offline

Love this script also!!

Has anyone figured out how to get Indigo variables updates with the track info from Pandora?

Thanks!! :D

Posted on
Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:36 am
ateliers119 offline

Hi,

I have Indigo running on a MacMiniServer. iTunes is running on an other MacMini (Music). I wonder if it's possible to control my speakers in AirFoil running on MacMini (Music) through Indigo triggers while the Indigo Server is running on the MacMiniServer. So far AirFoil only reacts on the MacMiniServer where Indigo is running as well.

Anybody can help me out?

Posted on
Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:13 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

The problem is that AirFoil only has an AppleScript interface/API, and appscript, the AppleScript (apple events) to Python library that we used to build the plugin doesn't handle AppleScript network timeouts well at all. AppleScript doesn't handle network timeouts well either but it's a little less troublesome. So we limited the plugin to only talk to a local instance of AirFoil to avoid those issues.

Your option would be to use AppleScripts that make remote calls to control the remote AirFoil instance. There is an iTunes, Pandora, and AirFoil user contribution in the File Library that may help you out with some of it though I've never actually looked at it.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:27 am
samiam872 offline

Thank you Doug, this sounds amazing. Before I jump in and upgrade, do you know how this might effect my current set-up with Spotify as my primary source? I would love to be able to use Pandora. I have not been purly due to lack of remote control. For the record, I would also love to be able to use soundcloud.

Current Setup:
Mini
OS 10.11.6
Indigo server 7.0.3
Latest AirFoil
Latest iTunes
Latest Spotify
4 primary speaker sets (one directly connected to the Mini via USB Codac)

Remote access from iPhones and Alexa
Airfoil Satellite
Spotify
iTunes
Indigo touch

Thanks, Sam

Posted on
Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:20 am
hamw offline

Not to speak for Doug, but if you look at his post listing, he has not been around for some time. Also, this script is written in AppleScript and, if you do a search, addresses Indigo. As AS functionality will be broken after Indigo 7.1, we will all need to find some alternative. As has been mentioned, the iTunes stuff has been rewritten as a plugin, but Pandora control, IIRC, has not. Not sure about Spotify.