Detecting iPhone Wi-Fi connection

Posted on
Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:18 pm
robertgerman offline

Re: Detecting iPhone Wi-Fi connection

Uhh, that sounds sweet! Any way I can help in motivating IFTTT to implement such a feature?

Posted on
Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:45 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Ask for it. I have several times… :)

Be sure to include that an HTTP GET/POST action should support "digest authentication" so that username/passwords aren't sent in the clear. Note that this isn't specific to Indigo in any way - it's a general purpose action that can be used in a wide variety of ways.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:58 pm
robertgerman offline

I'll fire an email at IFTTT right away :-)

Posted on
Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:47 am
lalisingh offline

Was working on a script for the router and discovered that even when an iPhone is sleeping but connected to LAN it will still renew its lease from the dhcp server at lease time/2. In my testing with the dhcp lease time set to 2 hours the iPhone renews the lease at 1 hour even though it is sleeping and not responding to pings.

By adjusting the lease time one could get as granular as required.

So the rule is if last seen > (lease time/2) then iPhone is not on premise or powered down.

Hope this helps someone.

[url]https://www.VillageWorker.com[/url]
Extreme data analytics, Sensing, Control integration work.
Indigo • Barix • Kentix • Mobotix • Mikrotik • Apple

Posted on
Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:33 am
dstrickler offline

In my trials and tribulations of sensing an iPhone's presence on the network, I've found a little secret. Check if port 62078 is responding. It won't 100% of the time, but check it twice, once a minute apart. The iPhone will respond more reliably than with a ping.

I use this to control "presence" in my house, and I've been very happy with it. But remember to check it twice! I have my polls set to once a minute, 24x7, and if I don't see the phone in 2 polls, I consider it not on the network, and within 5 polls, I tell Indigo "Dave is not on the network". I use 5 polls just make sure.

And no, the 24x7 polling doesn't drain the battery noticeably, although I'm sure it does a little on my iPhone 5 running iOS 7

Dave