iRed2 users, UNITE!

Posted on
Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:34 pm
dstrickler offline

Re: iRed2 users, UNITE!

jay wrote:
Hey guys, we created the User Contribution Library just for this purpose - zip up your scripts and submit them there for all to find!

Funny, for some reason I never saw the submit link. My fault. I'll start putting some some attachments up there.

Dave

Posted on
Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:35 am
hamw offline

iRed receive IR codes and trigger applescript?

I am about to give up on my IRLInc. It has forgotten its codes again, for the third time. Very frustrating. So now I'm going to try to have iRed learn the IRLinc codes I made so I can trigger actions in Indigo. Here's where I am:

I learned some remote codes and created a new remote. I would like to have an applescript triggered when the remote code is received by iRed.

Is there a specific sequence of steps? Here's my guess:

Create a new device called "Indigo"

Create new applescripts that execute Indigo actions in the Action Editor

Go to the Trigger Editor, select the button on the remote and tie the Indigo Applescript to that IR code.

Is this correct? Does anyone have a Screen Shot of correct steps? The manual is a little unclear to me.

Thanks!

Thanks,

Ham

Posted on
Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:19 am
tinbert offline

How to bind AppleScripts to incoming codes, short version ;-)

You don't need an "Indigo Device". I understand that you have already learned the IR codes (hopefully NOT in raw mode, because these won't work).
- Go to main window
- Click "Trigger"
- Select IR Codes
- Click Edit (top right) to open edit drawer
- Click + button top right to add trigger
- Search the IR Code in the browser below
- Drag&Drop the IR Code to the topmost field
- Search for the AppleScript (you have created before)
- Drag&Drop the AppleScript to the field under "Perform Action"
- That's it.

Hope that helps,

Robert

tin:b Software - maker of iRed*

Posted on
Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:32 am
hamw offline

Thanks for the quick reply. I haven't created the applescripts yet; I thought I'd have to create a new device or something to organize them. Where would they be created, and is it just a standard "tell application "indigoserver"..." format?

Posted on
Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:54 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Hey,

You're going to love using iRed2 over the iLack.

Load this as an attachment:

Code: Select all
-- This script sends commands to iRed
-- See iRed2Indigo script for reverse
using terms from application "IndigoServer"

on RemoteControl(TheRemote, TheDevice, irCode)
      with timeout of 3 seconds
         try
            tell application "iRed2" to perform action Code irCode of Device TheDevice of Remote TheRemote using led "external"
         on error
            tell application "IndigoServer"
               log "Error - Could not transmit to iRed2 --> Device: " & TheDevice & ", code: " & irCode using type "iRed:"
            end tell

end try
      end timeout
   end RemoteControl

end using terms from

If you're using the IRTrans internal emitter change the line of code in the above attachment script to:

tell application "iRed2" to perform action Code irCode of Device TheDevice of Remote TheRemote using led "internal"

Then I just setup actions that send the codes from iRed2.
Here's a couple screen shots:
Attachments
Picture 2.png
Picture 2.png (50.02 KiB) Viewed 11423 times
Picture 1.png
Picture 1.png (75.94 KiB) Viewed 11423 times

Posted on
Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:38 pm
tinbert offline

hamw wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply. I haven't created the applescripts yet; I thought I'd have to create a new device or something to organize them. Where would they be created, and is it just a standard "tell application "indigoserver"..." format?

I'd suggest you to create a new Application "Indigo", create a category within that, then start to add AppleScripts (see attachment).

Cheers, Robert
Attachments
IndigoAppleScript.png
IndigoAppleScript.png (83.83 KiB) Viewed 11449 times

Posted on
Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:32 pm
hamw offline

Thanks, that's very helpful. One of the things about the IRLinc is that it can receive "brighten" and "dim" commands by holding the remote for a longer period of time. Is it possible to have iRed recognize a long IR command and execute a trigger? I can work around that by reassigning some codes, but that means reprogramming my handheld remotes too.

Carl, thanks and I agree iRed is great.

Posted on
Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:50 pm
hamw offline

I looked in the IRTrans web menu and saw "enable long commands". If that box is checked then will iRed recognize the extended IR command as different from a short press?

Also I managed to set up a new application, Indigo, and made subfolders for my lights and climate. I created applescripts that execute what I want done. I then went to "Trigger" -> "IR Codes" -> "Edit", entered the IR Linc IR and attached the newly created AppleScripts. All seemed good, and the actions execute when the IR Code Trigger is double clicked. However, when I send actual IR to the IR Trans, it simply is not responding, and the iRed log menu does not show any activity. I looked in the web setup for the IRTrans and do have the IRTrans set up to receive codes on 38 mHz. Any thoughts?

Also I looked at the learned iRed codes; although they are all from the same remote, most are 38 mHz but several are either 37 or 39 mHz?
Attachments
iRed Action Editor.tiff
iRed Action Editor.tiff (137.04 KiB) Viewed 11424 times
iRed Browser.tiff
iRed Browser.tiff (404.53 KiB) Viewed 11424 times
IRTrans General Config.tiff
IRTrans General Config.tiff (34.24 KiB) Viewed 11424 times
IRTrans IR Codes.tiff
IRTrans IR Codes.tiff (41.83 KiB) Viewed 11424 times
IRTrans IR Receive.tiff
IRTrans IR Receive.tiff (64.06 KiB) Viewed 11424 times

Posted on
Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:56 am
tinbert offline

hamw wrote:
I looked in the IRTrans web menu and saw "enable long commands". If that box is checked then will iRed recognize the extended IR command as different from a short press?

Also I managed to set up a new application, Indigo, and made subfolders for my lights and climate. I created applescripts that execute what I want done. I then went to "Trigger" -> "IR Codes" -> "Edit", entered the IR Linc IR and attached the newly created AppleScripts. All seemed good, and the actions execute when the IR Code Trigger is double clicked. However, when I send actual IR to the IR Trans, it simply is not responding, and the iRed log menu does not show any activity. I looked in the web setup for the IRTrans and do have the IRTrans set up to receive codes on 38 mHz. Any thoughts?

Also I looked at the learned iRed codes; although they are all from the same remote, most are 38 mHz but several are either 37 or 39 mHz?

Frequency does not matter, except for transmitting IR Codes. The frequency is not measured, only when learning codes with the optional universal learning receveiver.
What matters for IR codes is the abbreviated command string, something like "S110010000001" as to be found in the Action Editor. You should see this on the Log window (if "Log incoming IR" is switched on). If this incoming code matches the code on the trigger, the trigger should fire. One caveat: if you have multiple IR modules, you may have to set the popup for the receiving module to "-Any Module-" or a specific module.

And: if you have an universal learning receiver, this will not read codes when you are too far away, which is pretty narrow for this kind of receiver, about 50 cm (2').

The setting "enable long commands" is only for learning codes, IMHO. IRTrans team may tell you more about this.

Recognizing "repeat codes" is not possible, I'm sorry.

And, btw: it's only KHz, not MHz ;-)

Cheers, Robert

P.S.: I'm not reading this forum regularly. Please send email for more specific support.

Posted on
Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:50 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Hey,

I'm trying to mod this script to send the IR command to all LEDs.

Code: Select all
-- This script sends commands to iRed
-- See iRed2Indigo script for reverse
using terms from application "IndigoServer"

on RemoteControl(TheRemote, TheDevice, irCode)
      with timeout of 3 seconds
         try
            tell application "iRed2 OLD" to perform action Code irCode of Device TheDevice of Remote TheRemote using led "external"
         on error
            tell application "IndigoServer"
               log "Error - Could not transmit to iRed2 --> Device: " & TheDevice & ", code: " & irCode using type "iRed:"
            end tell

end try
      end timeout
   end RemoteControl

end using terms from

I've been using it with "external" which has worked for all but one of my devices which for some reason only will work by sending from
iRed using "All LEDs"

Also, is it possible to vary the code that Indigo sends to use all LEDs without changing the attachment script?

Thanks,

Carl

Posted on
Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:03 pm
dnomode offline

Hello Tinbert,

I am trying to use iRed2 to control my mitsubishi TV using RS-232 with the GC-100-12. I was not having any luck with iRed2 so I downloaded iTest and it works good, however I'm sending this style of command \xDF\x80p\xF8\x02\x00\x006. How do I send this type of command with iRed?

Thanks
Ed

Posted on
Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:24 pm
macpro offline

You'll have to start writing your own code using Python. I'm in the middle of a similar project with my own TV.
iRed2 has limited capabilities of communicating with RS232. You can send data, but you will not receive a response.
iTest is fine and does all the magic, but it is not scriptable.
See "the coolest feature" topic with screenshots from my TV as an Indigo client.

Posted on
Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:32 pm
ckeyes888 offline

I guess my above post could be better summarized by asking if
it's possible to send some codes to the external LEDs, and some to the internal
LEDs?

Thanks,

Carl

Posted on
Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:41 pm
hamw offline

tinbert wrote:
The setting "enable long commands" is only for learning codes, IMHO. IRTrans team may tell you more about this.

Recognizing "repeat codes" is not possible, I'm sorry.

I can see that IRed will send multiple sequential commands when the button is pressed. Is there any way to get it to send a "brighten" or "dim" command like the IRLinc recognizes?

BTW other than this problem with dim and brighten I successfully set up the IRTrans/IRed combo to both send commands from Indigo to my tuner, and receive commands from the Crestron remotes throughout the house that then execute embedded applescripts in IRed, initiating actions in Indigo, iTunes etc. Seems faster than the IRLinc overall.

Posted on
Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:23 pm
dnomode offline

macpro wrote:
You'll have to start writing your own code using Python. I'm in the middle of a similar project with my own TV.
iRed2 has limited capabilities of communicating with RS232. You can send data, but you will not receive a response.
iTest is fine and does all the magic, but it is not scriptable.
See "the coolest feature" topic with screenshots from my TV as an Indigo client.

I'm bummin. I don't have a clue about Python. Can we just send HTML to The GC-100 device? Are you controlling your TV with RS232 using Indigo? How you doing it?

Is anyone working on any plugins for IR control?

Thanks
Ed