iTunes and indigo

Posted on
Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:37 pm
TYandow offline

iTunes and indigo

I have seen other messages about playing a song with iTunes. I have my Mac on the first floor playing music. I would like to be able to send an email from the second floor and have itunes advance to the next song in a playlist. I know NOTHING about Apple Scripts, in fact I have yet to make of the scripts posted work, so please include basic instructions.

I just ordered a book on Scripting so I should have my act together soon.

Posted on
Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:53 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: iTunes and indigo

TYandow wrote:
I have seen other messages about playing a song with iTunes. I have my Mac on the first floor playing music. I would like to be able to send an email from the second floor and have itunes advance to the next song in a playlist. I know NOTHING about Apple Scripts, in fact I have yet to make of the scripts posted work, so please include basic instructions.

A problem with this approach is that Indigo triggers based on emails that it periodically scans. So, there would be a delay between when you send the email and when Indigo finally scans the email server and sees the new email. You can adjust this email scanning frequency, but it doesn't seem like a good idea to scan frequently enough to make this practical.

Instead, you could send a remote AppleEvent to the computer running iTunes. Take a look at scripts on this page:

http://www.malcolmadams.com/itunes/scri ... ts10.shtml

Doug's AppleScript site has some great scripts and information on scripting basics. I highly recommend it.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:01 pm
DPattee offline

Don't recreate the wheel

No need to recreate the wheel. This (controlling iTunes from a remote computer) is something that tons of people do, so there are already plenty of solutions.

Check out VersionTracker and just search for 'iTunes'. Among the many results you get back will be a dozen remote control applications. Some are sets of applescripts, others are client/server apps (i.e. you run a little program on your iTunes machine, and then you run another little program on all the machines you want to be able to remotely control it), and many have slick little interfaces that are very easy to figure out.

Page 1 of 1