Email me upon new Log error

Posted on
Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:28 pm
joekewe offline

Email me upon new Log error

As I start trusting more and more critical activities to my Indigo home automation system (i.e. irrigation, security, etc.),I would like to be notified whenever an error appears in the Log. I know that the SQL Logger plugin will generate an event when a new error happens in the Log file, but here is a short AppleScript with shell script to email me whenever there is a new error in the Log file. This doesn't require configuring a separate database.

Code: Select all
-- Schedule Indigo to run this script at 00:57 every hour
-- Do NOT include the word "error" in the name of this schedule or any other Indigo device, trigger, or group

set file1 to "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/Logs/indigo_log.txt"
set file2 to "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/Logs/Compare.txt"
set result1 to ""
try
   do shell script "diff " & quoted form of file1 & space & quoted form of file2 & "| grep --ignore-case \"error\""
   set result1 to result
end try
try
   if result1 ≠ "" then
      -- display dialog "Error" & result1
      set value of variable "alarmCause" to "Indigo Log error:" & result1
      execute group "Email Me"
      -- assumes an Indigo action group to email you whatever is in the variable "alarmCause"
   end if
end try

-- now copy current Log file over previous "Compare.txt" file for next time
do shell script "cp " & quoted form of file1 & space & quoted form of file2

The script above requires a second, short script scheduled just after midnight to prepare for tomorrow's first Log file:

Code: Select all
-- Schedule Indigo to run this script every 12:01 am

set file1 to "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/Logs/indigo_log.txt"
set file2 to "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/Logs/Compare.txt"

try
   do shell script "cp " & quoted form of file1 & space & quoted form of file2
end try

I wanted to make the first AppleScript into a "Folder Action", but I learned that there is no automatic action when a file is CHANGED -- only when a file is added or deleted. So I made this an Indigo schedule every hour. I hope you can use it.

- Joe

Page 1 of 1