Yosemite Apple Script issues

Posted on
Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:51 pm
zoff offline

Yosemite Apple Script issues

I've been using a series of scripts to control my office lights. F keys on my main Mac trigger the remote scripts to run on a MacMini (on my LAN) dedicated to running Indigo. I've been running these scripts for years without any issues, until upgrading the main Mac to Yosemite. The scripts often fail to dim the lights, run several minutes later or sometimes work instantly like before. When the lights fail to dim AEServer spikes the CPU on the Mac mini at 80 to 90%.

Here are the specs:

Mac mini: Indigo 6.0.14, OS 10.5.8
MacBook Pro, OS 10.10.1

In the example script I've changed the password and the IP address.

tell application "IndigoServer" of machine "eppc://MacMini:password@xxx.xxx.xx.x"
brighten "Office Lights" to 40
end tell

Posted on
Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:54 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Yosemite Apple Script issues

Unfortunately, that's beyond our ability to control. The Apple Event processing is done outside of Indigo.

I suspect it's one of many Yosemite bugs - and the reason we don't recommend upgrading to new OS releases until after several months so those bugs can get worked out.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:04 pm
zoff offline

I must lucky because I've been using Yosemite since the developer betas were released and this is the only bug so far.

Thanks, please post here if anything develops.

Posted on
Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:29 am
zoff offline

jay (support) wrote:
Unfortunately, that's beyond our ability to control. The Apple Event processing is done outside of Indigo.

I suspect it's one of many Yosemite bugs - and the reason we don't recommend upgrading to new OS releases until after several months so those bugs can get worked out.

Apple events work every time when addressing the Finder on the remote machine. Even when I have the spinning gear in the menu bar for an event sent to Indigo, (which may take a few minutes to execute or not at all) I can still send an new event to Finder and it works instantly.

Posted on
Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:23 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Hmmm, that is interesting. What happens if you run the exact same script directly on the Indigo Server Mac? Try several times. Even better would be to run it directly after the remote script failed or took a long time.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:54 pm
zoff offline

jay (support) wrote:
Hmmm, that is interesting. What happens if you run the exact same script directly on the Indigo Server Mac? Try several times. Even better would be to run it directly after the remote script failed or took a long time.

Works fine directly on the Indigo Server Mac. I ran it about 10 times, it works instantly. All this time (about a minute or two) AEServer was hitting around 85% due to the failure of the remote script.
Just to clarify, to run the script "directly" on the Indigo Server Mac I'm using Screen Sharing, because the mac doesn't have a keyboard or display attached.

Page 1 of 1