Zigbee2mqtt Bridge Beta

Posted on
Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:12 am
autolog offline

Zigbee2mqtt Bridge Beta

Please use this thread for feedback / questions / suggestions on the Zigbee2mqtt Bridge Plugin. :)

Posted on
Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:23 pm
neilk offline

Re: Zigbee2mqtt Bridge Beta

Jon,
Whenever you are ready I am primed to give this a good test. Sounds amazing.
Neil

Posted on
Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:19 am
CliveS offline

neilk wrote:
Jon,
Whenever you are ready I am primed to give this a good test. Sounds amazing.
Neil

It is!

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:42 am
siclark offline

Very. I’m a few hours away from decommissioning my Hubitat hub.
One less device always on and one less system to complicate connections and go wrong.

Posted on
Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:38 pm
MarcoGT offline

Yes, me too, I still have a couple of motion sensors that I need to replace.

Still need to understand how this plug-in works; does it publish Zigbee devices to MQTT? Where are the devices then associated?

Posted on
Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:33 pm
siclark offline

MarcoGT wrote:
Yes, me too, I still have a couple of motion sensors that I need to replace.

Still need to understand how this plug-in works; does it publish Zigbee devices to MQTT? Where are the devices then associated?
It massively simplifies the connection between indigo and zigbee2mqtt

You do still need zigbee2mqtt running but you can do that on your indigo server and don’t need a separate Hubitat hub for zigbee like many of us were running.

This reads the devices from mqtt and lets you create them in indigo with a drop-down menu rather than having to use Shims.

Posted on
Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:47 pm
MarcoGT offline

So only thing I need is the Sonoff dongle
Which Zigbee devices work fine? I suppose any

Posted on
Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:29 am
siclark offline

In theory anything listed here,
https://www.zigbee2mqtt.io/supported-devices/
but some might need Jon to add support in the plug-in.
Most standard ones should work fine.

Posted on
Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:29 am
neilk offline

I second that, I have Zigbee2mqtt and the broker running on a Pi mainly for placement and range reasons but it connected straight away and really easy to add devices. This is a huge step in making Zigbee devices simple to add.

Posted on
Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:49 am
CliveS offline

Having gone through Alpha and now Beta testing of the Zigbee2mqtt Bridge I must congratulate Jon on a very stable plugin, in fact I have been using it in my live Indigo setup for several weeks.

This is the 3rd incarnation of a Zigbee plugin Jon has written, the original Hubitat plugin was the first and it worked fine but needed a lot of setup and maintenance, the second version was a closed beta using a ‘yet to be released’ HA box we both bought last year and Jon interfaced the Zigbee2mqtt to Indigo via Node-Red but was I pleased when he told me he was working on a direct Zigbee2MQTT to Indigo plugin.

No 3rd party Hubitat type box, just a Zigbee dongle, a quick Zigbee2mqtt install , on a Raspberry Pi3+ in my case (Z2M currently supports 2719 devices from 357 different vendors) an MQTT broker, Mosquitto in my case, MQTT explorer install and this plugin.

All the details can be found in Jon’s intro to the plug-in at viewtopic.php?f=386&t=26895

I have gradually moved all my door/window contact sensors to Zigbee2mqtt Bridge, they are faster than z-wave and a lot cheaper with longer battery life, most of my motion sensors are now Zigbee and I can use the Aqara FP1 Human Presence Sensors which is a game changer as it can detect a human completely still but breathing, no more ‘lights out in the toilet’ problems and the range is better than z-wave, I can now also control the garage devices with Zigbee that I could not get z-wave to reliably control due to distance.

(And thanks to @papamac for his excellent Virtual Garage Door (VGD) plugin which works fine with the Zigbee contact sensors and 2 way wireless switch)

So far I have installed

Indigo-Zigbee-Devices.jpg
Indigo-Zigbee-Devices.jpg (496.84 KiB) Viewed 2881 times

Zigbee Mesh Map

Zigbee-Mesh.jpg
Zigbee-Mesh.jpg (482.18 KiB) Viewed 2881 times

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:56 am
MarcoGT offline

I would like to use the dongle on my MacMini 2014 and using as autolog does the python virtual environment

This guide?

https://www.zigbee2mqtt.io/guide/instal ... -systemctl

How do you launch at indigo start up? With a python script at server start up?

Thanks
Marco

Posted on
Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:14 am
siclark offline

MarcoGT wrote:
I would like to use the dongle on my MacMini 2014 and using as autolog does the python virtual environment

This guide?

https://www.zigbee2mqtt.io/guide/instal ... -systemctl

How do you launch at indigo start up? With a python script at server start up?

Thanks
Marco
I use PM2 to auto start both my zigbee2mqtt and node red instances which works flawlessly.
Setting up on z2m is a bit fiddly and Jon is testing now so hopefully with 2 lessons learned we can give you the simple steps.
I have mosquito on my Mac as wel, autostarting with homebrew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:18 am
siclark offline

CliveS wrote:
Having gone through Alpha and now Beta testing of the Zigbee2mqtt Bridge I must congratulate Jon on a very stable plugin, in fact I have been using it in my live Indigo setup for several weeks.

No 3rd party Hubitat type box, just a Zigbee dongle, a quick Zigbee2mqtt install , on a Raspberry Pi3+ in my case (Z2M currently supports 2719 devices from 357 different vendors) an MQTT broker, Mosquitto in my case, MQTT explorer install and this plugin.

Agree with all. This is fantastic and makes the setup almost as easy as zwave.

In fact I know Matt and Jay have mentioned support for zigbee before, and that the zwave is just a python plug-in, so I would suggest that this is all we need. I’m not sure why we would need to natively support the hundreds of devices when the zigbee2mqtt community can do that for us and indigo just needs to support the generic devices.

Posted on
Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:17 am
autolog offline

Hi Marco,
Let me know once you have got your dongle and I can iMessage you the plugin.

At the moment with all the testing being done by Clive, Simon and Neil (for which a massive thanks is due), the plugin is being updated multiple times a day. So it is best that I let you have the latest version when you are ready. :)

At some point, in the not too distant future, I will upload it to Github and then make it available in the Indigo Plugin Store.

Posted on
Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:34 am
siclark offline

siclark wrote:
Very. I’m a few hours away from decommissioning my Hubitat hub.
One less device always on and one less system to complicate connections and go wrong.

And my Hubitat hub is now off!

One device is missing a few attributes but other than that I have RBGW bulbs, sockets and various sensors all working.

As Clive showed, the network map is a nice feature to check where any repeaters might be required.