Zigbee2mqtt Bridge Beta

Posted on
Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:15 am
siclark offline

Re: Zigbee2mqtt Bridge Beta

I think zigbee can take a few days to stabilise it’s network mesh. You could try reincluding the devices to see if that helps.

Posted on
Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:43 am
CliveS offline

MarcoGT wrote:
I have a question about the map; I added a motion sensor (battery powered) and 3 bulbs; I have at the moment range problem as the Zigbee controller is inside the rack (metal), therefore I need a longer cable; but one bulb is working; shall this acts as a repeater so that the other two bulbs also work? At the moment there is no connection between the the controller and two bulbs.

In the zigbee2mqtt desktop click on a bulb and look at the Device Type, it will be either EndDevice or Router, hopefully Router but then some older devices may not be 'fully' compatible even if they say they are a Router.

Personally I would get a dedicated USB Repeater and place one near your Zigbee Dongle and perhaps another in the middle of the house, I have 6 Repeaters and my mesh is fine.

Repeaters from AliExpress are about £10.00/€11.40 and normally take 10-12 days to the UK so you should be the same to the EU.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004407953212.html

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:26 am
MarcoGT offline

But they need anyway to be connected to a plug, why not using directly a wall plug to act as a repeater?

First thing I have to do I do take the controller out of the rack as of course radio waves will be blocked or reduced somehow

Posted on
Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:29 am
siclark offline

Repeaters are cheaper, but if you need a zigbee socket yes those are great too. Can you tell us what bulbs you have to determine why they arent working as a router.

Also you can just get a USB extension cable, I have a 1m one that works great for moving the stick away from my Mac Mini and any wifi interference

Posted on
Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:34 am
CliveS offline

MarcoGT wrote:
But they need anyway to be connected to a plug, why not using directly a wall plug to act as a repeater?

Because they are good at only one job, they can be plugged into a socket that is never used so the chances are that socket will not be turned off, a zigbee plug may be turned off as a quick way to turn off the TV/Radio/whatever or borrowed for another room

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:41 am
MarcoGT offline

These are the bulbs

https://www.zigbee2mqtt.io/devices/HG06 ... l-hg06492a

I suppose they are not working as repeater as the controller is in the server rack in the basement and the bulbs at main floor.
Z wave is working fine but with the extension cable, I will do the same for Zigbee

Wait a second, I suppose that the wall plug acts as repeater even if they are switched off, it is enough they are plugged into the socket.

Posted on
Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:52 am
siclark offline

The fact that they are even showing implies that they could get a signal to pair from the zigbee stick initially, unless you have since moved it. I would try to re-pair them.

Normally you can perform the reset function, and if you have set z2m to accept new devices it should just bring it back in again. Otherwise you will need to do the reset again. It remembers the friendly name etc.

Posted on
Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:42 pm
autolog offline

I have done an update to the FAQ to point USA users at the Dongle that is more likely available (thanks to Joe @FlyingDiver for pointing that out).

Also added a small status update at the end, dated today.

Thanks again to all of you posting in this forum, who coincidentally all happen to be involved in the beta testing. :lol:

Your testing, feedback and suggestions have been extremely useful in the plugin development - Thank you. :)

Posted on
Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:36 pm
rhanson offline

Hi there.

Installed the plugin, to use with existing Z2M bridge and mqtt.

For every message received, I see this in the log;

Code: Select all
   Zigbee2mqtt Bridge Warning      RECEIVED TOPIC: zigbee2mqtt/0xdc8e95fffe3ae5ae, PAYLOAD: {"cli":" ","detection_delay":0.6,"fading_time":14,"illuminance_lux":149,"linkquality":69,"maximum_range":7.95,"minimum_range":0.75,"presence":false,"radar_sensitivity":7,"self_test":"check_success","target_distance":0}

Zigbee2mqtt Bridge Error        JSON device|ieeAddr error. Payload: {"cli":" ","detection_delay":0.6,"fading_time":14,"illuminance_lux":149,"linkquality":69,"maximum_range":7.95,"minimum_range":0.75,"presence":false,"radar_sensitivity":7,"self_test":"check_success","target_distance":0}

Any clue what causes you to log "JSON device|ieeAddr error" ? I haven't looked at the code at all, just being a normal user for now. This isn't device-specific, happens for all messages. That one happens to be the Tuya presence detector.

Indigo 2022.1.2,
Z2M edge (latest version)
Mosquitto on mac or LXC container, I can't remember, but it works fine

Thanks!

Posted on
Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:19 pm
autolog offline

Have you followed the installation and setup instructions in the Wiki: Prerequisites and Installation :?:

In particular:
In order for the plugin to work, the Include device information (at the bottom of the MQTT tab) needs to be set as it uses this information to discover the properties of the Zigbee devices so that it can determine how to support them.

Also, try reloading the plugin to see if that clears it?

Posted on
Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:18 am
autolog offline

Version .60 now published to the Indigo Plugin Store which amongst other things, makes the "JSON device|ieeAddr error" clearer and refers the user to the Wiki,

See:Zigbee2mqtt Bridge Version 2023.0.60 Update

Posted on
Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:47 am
rhanson offline

So it appears that for some devices, the plugin doesn't like some of the subtopic messages.

Zigbee2mqtt Bridge Error        MQTT topic 'zigbee2mqtt/zigbee_router_2/indicator_level' is missing 'device' and|or 'ieeAddr' keys in JSON payload:
Zigbee2mqtt Bridge Warning          {"light":null}
Zigbee2mqtt Bridge Error            See Wiki Installation documentation at: https://github.com/autolog/Zigbee2mqtt_Bridge/wiki/Installation

Zigbee2mqtt Bridge Error        MQTT topic 'zigbee2mqtt/zigbee_router_3/indicator_level' is missing 'device' and|or 'ieeAddr' keys in JSON payload:
Zigbee2mqtt Bridge Warning          {"light":null}
Zigbee2mqtt Bridge Error            See Wiki Installation documentation at: https://github.com/autolog/Zigbee2mqtt_Bridge/wiki/Installation
These two devices are zigbee routers (z-dongles with router firmware instead of hub firmware).

Every once in a while they send out full messages like this:
zigbee2mqtt/zigbee_router_1

{
    "device":
    {
        "applicationVersion": 0,
        "dateCode": "20220515",
        "friendlyName": "zigbee_router_1",
        "hardwareVersion": 0,
        "ieeeAddr": "0x385b44fffe0038bc",
        "manufacturerID": 4742,
        "manufacturerName": "SONOFF",
        "model": "ZBDongle-E",
        "networkAddress": 25842,
        "powerSource": "Mains (single phase)",
        "softwareBuildID": "1.0.0",
        "stackVersion": 0,
        "type": "Router",
        "zclVersion": 8
    },
    "light_indicator_level": null,
    "linkquality": 123
}
and every 10 minutes or so, it sends this topic:

zigbee2mqtt/zigbee_router_1/indicator_level

{"light":null}
Not sure why the plugin chokes on the short message, it seems like it's well-formed, and the json module doesn't seem to complain about this format:

>>> m='{"light":null}'
>>> x=json.loads(m)
>>> x
{'light': None}
This is the only device type whose subtopics cause this issue.

It seems that the plugin is attempting to parse all incoming messages from the z2m root topic (as specified in the coordinator device config in indigo). Is there a way to parse only the topics that have an associated indigo device, and ignore the rest?

Posted on
Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:09 am
autolog offline

Other than filling your log, it won't cause the plugin a problem as it is just letting you know it is ignoring them.

The message is indicating that the device is missing 'device' and|or 'ieeAddr' keys in JSON payload which it needs to match against an actual or possible Indigo device.

The plugin uses the ieeAddr key to match against an Indigo device.

I could look at adding a user option to suppress those messages?

Posted on
Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:21 pm
autolog offline

I have just pushed a pre-release to Github: Enhancements & Bug Fixes

Details:
  • user option to suppress MQTT topic is missing 'device' and|or 'ieeAddr' keys message. Set in Plugin Config.
  • enhanced package requirements checking to ensure correct pip version is used
  • fixed handling of grouped dimmer devices

Posted on
Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:18 pm
rhanson offline

Thanks!