Zigbee2MQTT Bridge FAQ

Posted on
Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:08 am
autolog offline

Zigbee2MQTT Bridge FAQ

I am in the process of developing a Zigbee2mqtt Bridge plugin to interface to an instance of Zigbee2mqtt. :)

Here's a little FAQ to answer some basic questions.

What is Zigbee2mqtt?

Zigbee2mqtt allows you to use your Zigbee devices without the Zigbee vendor's bridge or gateway.
It bridges events and allows you to control your Zigbee devices via MQTT.

Zigbee2mqtt is open source and runs on a lot of different hardware platforms.

Full details of the Zigbee2mqtt can be found here: Zigbee2mqtt

How does the plugin work?

The plugin exposes the Zigbee devices as Indigo devices. This enables the Zigbee device states to be viewed and controlled e.g. turn a power outlet on and off.

zigbee2mqtt_bridge.png
Zigbee2mqtt Bridge
zigbee2mqtt_bridge.png (138.83 KiB) Viewed 1005 times

Zigbee2mqtt does all the integration and communication with the Zigbee devices - the plugin communicates with Zigbee2mqtt via an MQTT broker. This means that Zigbee2mqtt is responsible for all the complex Zigbee device interactions and the plugin can focus on the device interface with Indigo.

The plugin is built on the design of my Hubitat Bridge plugin and works in a similar manner.

Will the plugin support all Zigbee devices?

To a lesser or greater extent, the plugin currently supports the following type of Zigbee devices:
  • contact sensor
  • colour dimmer
  • blind/shades
  • humidity sensor
  • illuminace sensor
  • motion sensor
  • outlet (socket)
  • presence sensor
  • radar sensor
  • scene (button) switch
  • temperature sensor
  • vibration sensor
Zigbee2mqtt supports thousands of Zigbee devices from hundreds of vendors. The plugin is designed to comparatively easily add new device types and their properties (Indigo states), though obviously some may be more complex than others.

What do I need to use the plugin?

You will need an install of Zigbee2mqtt. I am running Zigbee2mqtt in a Python Venv (Virtual Environment) on my M1 Mac mini that runs Indigo. Other users are running Zigbee2mqtt on a Raspberry Pi and in Docker containers.

See how to install Zigbee2mqtt here: Getting Started

I am using this Zigbee dongle: SONOFF Universal Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle Plus or in the USA: SONOFF Universal Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle Plus or 2 x SONOFF Universal Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle Plus

You will also need to run an MQTT Broker. I am using Mosquitto but you can also use the Indigo MQTT Broker Plugin (by Joe aka @FlyingDiver)

The plugin requires Indigo 2021.1.0 or higher.

Awesome! When / where can I get the plugin?

Alpha testing is currently in progress. I am now looking for beta testers for this plugin.

The Beta version will be published as a release on Github,

UPDATE
As of today (Tuesday, 7th March) the beta testing is complete thanks to the select band of beta testers. :)

Plugin has now been released to the Indigo Plugin Store: Zigbee2mqtt Bridge

Page 1 of 1