New tvOS might have broken plugin

dtich

Post by dtich »

hi @glennnz, after atv update to beta server can't see the apple tv even though it's on the network with same IP. anything you think I can do about this? I can try to revert the Apple TV if it comes to that.

thanks!

Code: Select all

appleTV Plugin                  Scanning for device using IP address: 192.168.100.145 and using Unicast.
   appleTV Plugin                  Failed connection as this specific appleTV Den cannot be found.  Please check its network connection.

Jun 12, 2024 at 9:51:35 PM
   appleTV Plugin                  Scanning for device using Multicast.

Jun 12, 2024 at 9:51:55 PM
   appleTV Plugin                  Failed connection as this specific appleTV Den cannot be found.  Please check its network connection.

Jun 12, 2024 at 9:52:35 PM

Jun 12, 2024 at 9:52:55 PM

Jun 12, 2024 at 9:53:11 PM
   appleTV Plugin                  Scanning for Devices

Jun 12, 2024 at 9:53:45 PM

Jun 12, 2024 at 9:54:05 PM
durosity

Re: New tvOS might have broken plugin

Post by durosity »

Just fyi I’ve installed the new tvOS beta onto my test Apple TV (4k 2nd gen) and one of my HomePod minis and this plugin is working fine with them. I had to delete the device in Indigo, but when re-created works exactly as was.
Last edited by durosity on Fri Jun 14, 2024 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Computer says no.
dtich

Post by dtich »

it's just occurring to me (as i sit at work and not work), that perhaps tvOS 18 has rotating MAC addresses on by default, have not looked since that was a thing.... i've had to turn it off on my other Apple devices from time to time to enable benign tracking, like unifi, etc.

i assume this could break the plugin control scheme? not sure.

will check later today.....

thoughts welcome. thx!
dtich

Post by dtich »

was just going to say, perhaps re-adding the device solves it.

as @durosity so emoji-ly said above. :D
durosity

Post by durosity »

dtich wrote:perhaps tvOS has rotating MAC addresses on by default, have not looked since that was a thing.... i've had to turn it off on my other Apple devices from time to time to enable benign tracking, like unifi, etc.
I don’t think so, I whitelist my MAC addresses on that VLAN and I’ve not had any connectivity issues.

And I have no idea what happened with all of that.. I think Tapatalk had a bit of a brain melt.. I didn’t even use any emoji! (Maybe it doesn’t work so well on iOS 18 as I’m using that on this iPhone to test a few things.. maybe one day I’ll be able to afford a dedicated test iPhone [emoji28])
Last edited by durosity on Fri Jun 14, 2024 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Computer says no.
dtich

Post by dtich »

yes, i do too, but i'm wondering if the rotating maybe just started?

at any rate, thanks for replying.

not sure about this emoji thing, in your quote of my post there are those characters too on my view of it. and i didn't use any either. and not on tap talk, just browser.

meh. computer's having itself a friday. :D there's an emoji. maybe.
dtich

Post by dtich »

are people feeling like this is a tvOS issue and will be solved by a new version? i can't sort out any solution here. plugin just doesn't see the machine even tho it's same mac address at the same IP address. odd.

is there a toggle to enable in tvOS that's new? some remote access thing? i can't find anything that seems to make a difference.

hmm.
durosity

Post by durosity »

I don’t think it’s anything to do with the plugin or even tvOS beta. Have you tried deleting the device and then using the option in the plugin to look for a specific IP address?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Computer says no.
dtich

Post by dtich »

why would you think it has nothing to do with either the plugin or tvOS ??

those are the only things that change.

yes, i have now tried deleting that appletv and re-installing. the problem is the plugin doesn't see ANYTHING. so, no auto-populate/discover or find by IP. i can't even select a unit type.

so, now i no longer have a non-working appletv device, i have no appletv device.

durosity

Post by durosity »

dtich wrote:why would you think it has nothing to do with either the plugin or tvOS ??

so, now i no longer have a non-working appletv device, i have no appletv device.
Because it’s working fine with my test devices. And I’ve not seen any other reports of issues with the pyatv and the new betas. TBH As there’s very little that’s changed on tvOS I’d say probably best to revert back to if possible.
Computer says no.
dtich

Post by dtich »

update: latest beta fixed issue. thanks all, and apologies for stressed out posts!

Return to “AppleTV Plugin”