Initial configuration question

Posted on
Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:13 am
AutoMation01 offline

Initial configuration question

Greetings ... Am hoping to test out the plugin. Downloaded the last version, ran the crypto command and installed the Plugin 2202.0.17. The Plugin is active but I cannot seem to add a new device to configure? No option for Starling is appearing on the device dialog pulldown?

I notice in the indigo log that there is a message from the plugin that "Filtering is active for all Nest Devices" (is that a normal messaging?) I do not have any of the filtering options selected in the Plugin configuration?

Any thoughts on what to check for with the issue about creating a new device / Starling not appearing on the menu?

Posted on
Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:26 am
autolog offline

Re: Initial configuration question

If you go to the main Indigo UI and click New... then from the Create New Device dialogue, in the Type > '- select devce type -' list there should be an entry for Starling Bridge.

Are you not seeing this?

Posted on
Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:15 pm
AutoMation01 offline

Correct ... I am NOT seeing Starling in that drop down dialog.

What is also strange, is that I can see Starling in other dialogs like in the Action / Device / Actions dialog of a trigger? (shows three options for eco there) ....

However .... I am unable to actual configure my Starling / nest stuff if I cannot create a new device instance first ... right? Did I miss something along the way in installation / configuration?

I was curious about the crypto command ... Would that cause something like this to occur? I did that in a terminal session outside of Indigo? Is that the right place to issue the install command? Looks like it installed cryptography version 38.0.1. I confirmed that the Cryptography module was installed in the (/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.10/bin/python3) Python environment. I assume that is the Python environment you are using, correct?

Posted on
Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:17 am
autolog offline

On my systems, I have updated cryptography to the latest version (38.0.1), downloaded te plugin (2022.0.17) from Github and reinstalled it. I did this on both an Intel and Apple Silicon Mac.

In both cases I can see Starling Bridge as an available device to create.

I am at a bit of a loss as to why it isn't showing up on your system. If you haven't already tried it, can I suggest that you download the plugin again and reinstall it.

Let me know how that goes and if it still isn't there, I will have to dig deeper. :?

Posted on
Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:24 pm
AutoMation01 offline

Have reinstalled the Plugin numerous times now and tried the different fix versions along the way with no joy :cry: ....

Re-Installed latest patch release of Indigo 2022.1.2 as well.

Disabled all other plugins as a test. Each plugin greys out in the device dialog list when disabled and is active again when enabled, as expected. But the Starling Bridge entry never presents in the dialog whether the plugin is active or disabled. I do get the appropriate associated log entry when disabling and re-enabling the Starling plugin, showing that the plugin is starting / stopping, along with the filter message when the plugin starts. Have also turned on debugging level in the plugin configuration but that does not seem to provide any additional log results.

The plugin is definitely there and active. Can change the configuration options. Presents startup information in the log. But no Starling Bridge option shows up in the new device dialog list.

I am perplexed on this one and not sure as to what else to look for ?????

Posted on
Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:08 pm
AutoMation01 offline

I just completed a new installation of Indigo on another MacPro running Big Sur 11.7. Just the base install of Indigo with no other plugins installed.

Downloaded and installed the latest Starling plugin.

This does the same thing as my production machine (No Starling Bridge listed under create new device / select device type).

The only plugin listed on the dialog is (Email+), I assume that is a default base level plugin with the fresh install of Indigo.

So now I am even more perplexed as to what may be happening in my environment versus yours. Clearly there is something in the configuration of my machines that is different and creating a compatibility issue of some sort.

I have a screenshot of the dialog with the missing selection (is this helps) but not sure how post in the thread?

Posted on
Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:52 am
autolog offline

Reply to this post and you will see an Attachments button at the bottom.

Click this and choose the image file and then click Add the file.

Then click attachments again and select place inline

Posted on
Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:03 am
AutoMation01 offline

Thanks for showing me how to post the picture. I did not recognize the attachment button :oops: before. If it had been a snake, it would have bit me .... :lol:

Hopefully when you see the screen, there will be another obvious insight into what I am doing wrong. Perhaps I am in the wrong place for where the menu should be presenting the option for Starling Bridge?

Thanks also for working with me on this. Your plugin looks great and I believe this will be a good future with useful features to integrate the Nest eco system into Indigo functionality. I am excited to use this and contribute anyway that I can to where you are going.
Attachments
Screen New_Install.png
Screen New_Install.png (492.59 KiB) Viewed 1975 times

Posted on
Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:13 am
autolog offline

Thanks for the image.

Could you also go to the main Indigo plugins menu, select the Starling Bridge Plugin and click the last menu item 'Display Plugin Information'. Then copy and paste the ouput from the Indigo Event Log.

You can also try:
  1. Disable plugin
    [*}Delete the plugin preferences file at /Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 2022.1/Preferences/Plugins/com.autologplugin.indigoplugin.starlingBridge.indiPref Change Indigo 2022.1 to reflect your version if necessary
  2. Enable plugin

Thanks. :)

Posted on
Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:40 am
AutoMation01 offline

After deleting the "prefs" file, I got this error in the indigo log when starting the plugin.
Attachments
After_Prefs_delete.png
After_Prefs_delete.png (175.13 KiB) Viewed 1967 times

Posted on
Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:44 am
AutoMation01 offline

Not seeing the "Display Plugin Information'. Should it be on this menu or somewhere else?
Attachments
Copy of Display_Not_Seen.png
Copy of Display_Not_Seen.png (381.78 KiB) Viewed 1983 times

Posted on
Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:48 am
autolog offline

I fixed that bug this morning in a yet to be released version. :lol:

Is the Starling Bridge still missing in New... devices list?

No it is here :

starling_bridge_01.png
starling_bridge_01.png (56.26 KiB) Viewed 1982 times

Posted on
Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:15 am
AutoMation01 offline

No ... Not present in the New Devices dialog.

Looks like my plugin menu is different than yours ..... Am I running the wrong version? Here is what mine looks like .... No option to display plugin information?
Attachments
2022-09-21_8-10-49.png
2022-09-21_8-10-49.png (258.53 KiB) Viewed 1979 times

Posted on
Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:35 am
autolog offline

Something strange is definitely going on :!:

I have just checked the code on Github and the logic for displaying the menu is in the plugin version .17

I wonder if it is in the plugin version you have retrieved.

If you do a Show Package Contents on the plugin and navigate to: Contents/Server Plugin/menuItems.xml
Edit the contents and copy and paste the results here.

Mine looks like this:
Code: Select all
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<MenuItems>
   <MenuItem id="pluginInformation">
      <Name>Display Plugin Information</Name>
        <CallbackMethod>display_plugin_information</CallbackMethod>
    </MenuItem>
</MenuItems>

Posted on
Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:42 am
autolog offline

I have uploaded a new version to Github: Initialisation bug fix + filename case fix :)

It is suspected that the issue is caused by you having a case sensitive formatted system disk. The plugin had an incorrect lowercase starting character for Devices.xml and MenuItems.xml. The issue would not be apparent on a non-case sensitive formatted system disk which mine is.

Hopefully this new version will work for you. :)