Starling Bridge Plugin Beta

Posted on
Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:00 am
autolog offline

Starling Bridge Plugin Beta

Please post any questions related to the beta in this thread. :)

Posted on
Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:29 pm
Ramias offline

Re: Starling Bridge Plugin Beta

Thank you for doing this. Starling Hub just arrived today.

Initial observations:

1. Has the option to not require TLS but was not able to connect; had to use TLS
2. Child devices (i.e. the fan on my nest thermostat) don't inherit the parent device name -- so even though I renamed the parent device before pressing OK to create it, the fan, humidifier are called "new device 1 [FAN]" and then for my next thermostat, "new device 1 [FAN]_1".
3. Temp controls in Celsius even though strings display in Fahrenheit. See attached.

Wish list -- auto-create all devices by type and use names from the Nest app.

Will post more thoughts as I continue to play with this.

Thanks
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-06-13 at 5.24.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-13 at 5.24.13 PM.png (98.51 KiB) Viewed 2276 times

Posted on
Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:34 am
autolog offline

Hi @Ramias,

Thanks for the feedback. :)

A new pre-release is available here: Fix Setpoint controls to show Fahrenheit + HTTP Access

I will look at the naming suggestions.

I will look at Auto-Create devices (set by user request option)

As I only have a UK / European version of the Nest Thermostat, I have had to try and simulate the US version in testing. I don't have A/C and so I would be interested in feedback on A/C control.

Thanks again for testing. :)

Posted on
Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:52 pm
Ramias offline

Thanks Jon. Installed. Will do more thorough testing tomorrow and post results.

I did change all of my existing old Nest devices (two thermostats, 10 protects and one home/away) to use this new plug-in. Kept the same indigo device I’d though, this plug-in currently created the child devices with the correct name.

When I looked this afternoon it said “connected” over http but dis not seem to update. HTTPS works fine and no certificate issues so maybe just go with that?

The temp control buttons in indigo did not seem to work but this is something I want to look deeper at tomorrow.

Indigo support was what was holding me back from converting my legacy Nest account to a Google account. Tried to do that today but I have a legacy custom do in Gsuite account so Google would not let me switch…. First world problems I guess.

Thanks

Posted on
Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:00 am
Ramias offline

Ok did some quick tests.

I pressed the down blue arrow to lower the cool set point. To confirm, logs say:

Code: Select all
   Starling Bridge                 sent "Kitchen Thermostat (Downstairs)" decrease cool setpoint to 74.0°F

In the Indigo GUI it raised my Heat Set Point to 74 (74 is the cool set point in the Nest app).

Screen shots before and after.

Also, the upstairs thermostat is in "eco mode" and currently set to (gasp!) 81 but it is 73 there right now.

The displayed set points are incorrect. See "upstairs" image.

In the Nest app, If I change the upstairs thermostat off of eco and on to the heat/cool mode, the set points are what Indigo shows of 66 and 75. What Custom Stats cals "target_cooling_threshold". Target_temperature is correct for when I'm in cool mode.

So I think the displayed values are mode dependent -- if in heat/cool -- Indigo should use the threshold values. If in cool only, It should use target_temperature. If in eco mode, it does show the correct threshold values but it shows "target_temperature" as the current temp in eco mode which I do not think is the case.
Attachments
before.png
before.png (244.94 KiB) Viewed 2215 times
after.png
after.png (263.38 KiB) Viewed 2215 times
upstairs.png
upstairs.png (220.06 KiB) Viewed 2215 times

Posted on
Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:50 am
autolog offline

Just to confirm you are running version: 2022.0.8 - I am sure you are but want to make sure?

As far as I can see, when you set eco mode on, the Thermostat sets the Target temperature to the current temperature.

Yes, it is mode dependant as to what it uses.

I think it would be useful to see some debugging of the inputs and outputs fro the Starling Home Hub.

In the main plugin menu, you can select one or more Nest devices to monitor using the Fillter pull down. Just select one Thermostat and also set the Logging Level - Indigo Event Log to be Starling Home Hub Logging Messages. Then save and for good measure, reload the plugin.

You should then get logging messages related to the Starling Hub in general and the thermostat speciffically when you try out the operations you have mentioned.

You can send me the ouput via PM as it likely will include your API key etc. :)

Posted on
Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:18 pm
Ramias offline

Here are some screenshots. Logs sent via PM.

Screenshot 1:
Kitchen downstairs -- set to 72; curently 73. State column shows current. Thermostat controls shows 66/75.
Target temp is correct.

screenshot 2: Press coolsetpoint down arrow

Heat setpoint in gui moved from 66 to 74. Target temp and thermostat moved to 74 (it was on 72 and I pressed the down arrow). Cool setpoint in gui never changed.

Note -- looks like it is showing shot 2 below first.
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (470.24 KiB) Viewed 2173 times
shot 1.jpg
shot 1.jpg (474.95 KiB) Viewed 2173 times

Posted on
Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:02 pm
autolog offline

Thanks for the problem description and the logs, I will review them tomorrow.

I have uploaded a new version to Github which is primamrily to support the new Nest Weather option in the Starling Home Hub. If your Starling Home Hub has been updated to Firmware 11.4, and you enable Show temperature and humidity sensors for outside weather in the Nest Home and Product Settings tab in the Starling Home Hub web page, then you will see a new Indigo device type you can add named Nest Weather which will most likely have a name of outside (it does on my system).

New version availbale here: Add Support For Nest Weather

It might be worth checking whether you still get the adjust cooling setpoint error; I suspect you will.

I will report back tomorrow. :)

Posted on
Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:14 pm
autolog offline

Actually, I just took a quick look at the logs and I think I can see what the issue is. I will need to consider how best to resolve it because it isn't straight forward. Your logs will help me to improve my test data as I try and simulate a US version of the Nest Thermostat. Hopefully I will have an update for you sometime tomorrow. :)

Posted on
Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:04 pm
Ramias offline

Weather device looks good. Thanks for adding that. Will be useful.

My thoughts on the mode/temp issue:

IF mode == cool; cool setpoint = target_temp; heat setpoint = N/A (not sure if you can do this) and the up/down arrows for cool should adjust target_temperature.
IF mode = heat -- opposite of above
if mode ==heat/cool; use target_cooling_threshold and target_heating_threshold values. up/down arrows adjust threshold values

Posted on
Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:11 am
autolog offline

I think I may have fixed this but stand to be corrected. :wink:

New version available here: Bug Fix For Thermostat Cool Setpoint

Let me know if it works. If it doesn't, can you run the test with logging as you did before and send me the logs?

Thanks. :)

Posted on
Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:29 am
Ramias offline

quick test for heat and cool modes indicates pass!

When I set to auto heat/cool from Indigo the device state shows the correct temps but the Indigo GUI does not show those.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-06-19 at 11.27.06 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-19 at 11.27.06 AM.png (138.87 KiB) Viewed 2131 times

Posted on
Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:46 am
autolog offline

Thanks for the update.

I will take a look at the heatCool issue and report back in due course. :)

Posted on
Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:11 am
autolog offline

Hopefully now fixed?

New update at: Bug Fix For Heat/Cool Setpoints :)

Posted on
Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:39 pm
Ramias offline

Looks fixed. Only observation, and probably not fixable the way it is designed, is what the GUI displays for a second or two after changing, before official state is pulled from the Starling -- if I set it from heat to cool in the gui, it will switch back to heat for just a moment until the Nest service recognizes and displays cool. Not a big issue at all.

Will play with it some more and let you know but great work on this and looks very solid.