Hue Lights discussion

Posted on
Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:30 pm
keifer1 offline

Re: Hue Lights discussion

They seem to keep restocking Charleston SC. and other stores in surrounding territories, bad for me i have 9 and just might need ha ha 3 more....

Computer Keith
Mt Pleasant SC - Charleston
Indi-Go -Go-Go

Posted on
Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:54 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Well, I think it's asking a lot to have a friend buy and ship it for me...but I did send out
a couple feelers....me want!

Hope it works out.

Carl

Posted on
Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:09 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Success! Had a friend in Chicago pickup a set. They are just way too much fun.
Thanks for the amazing plugin Nathan!

Carl

Posted on
Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:17 pm
nsheldon offline

Awesome! Glad you were able to get some and that the plugin is working well for you.

Posted on
Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:15 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Is there an approach that might be able to control a group of lights that
would be always be set to the same color/brightness?

Seems they tend to change individually as opposed to in unison.

Thanks,

Carl

Posted on
Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:33 am
nsheldon offline

ckeyes888 wrote:
Is there an approach that might be able to control a group of lights that
would be always be set to the same color/brightness?

Seems they tend to change individually as opposed to in unison.

Not that I'm aware of. All of the HTTP requests I know of that can be sent to the Hue hub work only on one bulb at a time. I've also read that the hub begins limiting the number requests it will respond to after an unknown number of rapid successive requests (though I've not run into this myself with just 3 bulbs, I don't think). I guess until Philips releases an actual API, we won't know for sure if some sort of "scene" or "group" functions even exist.

Posted on
Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:14 am
ckeyes888 offline

Thanks, do hope at some point a group or scene can be implemented.
With bulbs in the same fixture it's an odd effect sometimes.

Carl

Posted on
Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:27 am
nsheldon offline

ckeyes888 wrote:
Thanks, do hope at some point a group or scene can be implemented.
With bulbs in the same fixture it's an odd effect sometimes.

I'm sure that at some point group functionality will be supported. Based on information from this everyhue unofficial API post, group functions are unreliably supported within the Hue hub, but the hub likely uses the ZigBee protocol's grouping mechanisms. Even with protocol-level grouping though, from the tests people have done in that post, you're still going to see slight delays between commands to each bulb. I don't think there's any way of working around that at this point.

Posted on
Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:22 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Thanks for the info and great plugin...still very fun to use!

Carl

Posted on
Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:02 pm
Dave Durham offline

I just started using the plug in with Indigo 6 and am very happy. As I transition from LampLinc and SwitchLinc to HUE for some of my lights, I ran into the problem that I have LOTS of code and Actions that adjust the brightness via the Lincs hardware. Pulling the LampLincs and powering the lights from the wall directly (with HUE bulbs) is great if I've found all the actions and code that would have otherwise gone to the LampLinc (100's of actions). So...what I did was leave the LampLinc in place (set to 100%) and add Triggers that wait for the Brightness to be commanded below 100% for each individual LampLinc. Then the response Action is to immediately set the Brightness back to 100% and Flash the HUE bulb with the Long Alarm. This works great. So when my systems executes a command via a LampLinc or SwitchLinc that would have adjusted the brightness on a light using code that I forgot about or haven't changed yet, then the light stays on and simply flashes, telling me that that particular routine has a bit of code that needs to be updated. Simple and effective. And I really need it, I forgot just how many places in my code that I command brightness changes to lights.

Thanks a bunch for the plug in!
-d

Posted on
Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:38 am
nsheldon offline

Glad you're enjoying it Carl and Dave.

Cool use case Dave. If I ever switch all my SwitchLincs over to Hue bulbs, I might use that method myself.

Posted on
Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:43 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Do love this plugin! Should it be possible to dim the lights completely, using RGB 0,0,0?
Seems that doesn't want to work for me. No big deal, turning off the device works just fine.

Thanks,

Carl

Posted on
Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:55 pm
nsheldon offline

ckeyes888 wrote:
Do love this plugin! Should it be possible to dim the lights completely, using RGB 0,0,0?
Seems that doesn't want to work for me. No big deal, turning off the device works just fine.

Hmm... Yes, that should work. I just tested it myself and also found that it was not working. I'll look into it. Thanks for pointing it out.

Posted on
Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:26 am
nsheldon offline

This has been fixed in version 0.9.5. See the original Hue Lights announcement thread for the updated download link.

Posted on
Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:19 am
StefanCreutz offline

Re: Hue Lights - Free Philips Hue Plugin

Hello,

I'm getting this error when trying to add a Hue device in Indigo 5.1.7 with plugin 0.9.7.

File "plugin.py", line 301, in validateDeviceConfigUi
<type 'exceptions.KeyError'>: key not found in database

Any idea what might be causing this? Am I doing something wrong?
The pairing process seems to have been successful and I get all 16 lights identified by the plugin, but neither of them can be added as devices in Indigo.