Phillips Hue Scenes Accessible?

Posted on
Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:28 pm
akimball offline

Phillips Hue Scenes Accessible?

Hi. So sorry to ask this question but I’ve looked for an answer and haven’t found it.

The various scenes in the Hue App are actually getting to be quite nice. I would love to be able to use these from Indigo through the hue lights plugin.

Is this yet possible? I think I read that the effects like color loops, candle, and fireplace are now doable (if you have a recent version of the hue bulb), but how could I access the hue app scenes?

TIA. -al

-Al

Posted on
Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:43 pm
dduff617 offline

Re: Phillips Hue Scenes Accessible?

i'm getting acquainted with the hue plugin - would not consider myself an expert.

i did find that the plugin has an action you can use (in a trigger or schedule, for example) found in the actions menu under Hue Lights Actions>Recall Hue Scene.

In the settings for the action, you have to provide your Hue hub (selected from a menu - i presume this is in case you have a setup with more than one), then you can specificy "Scene Creator" (i assume this just narrows down the list of available scenes if you have a lot), then the specific scene (identified by a name that is somewhat longer and includes a bit more stuff than the scene name in the Hue app, but you should be able to recognize what you're looking for) and then a Group Limit (which lets you pick a pre-defined group of devices to which you want to limit the scene.

some additional things i would appreciate if someone could tell me: if i use the Recall Scene action to turn on a scene, is there an easy way to send an "off" command to the same set of devices? - i.e. is there a "scene off" command? or do i need to create a separate scene to represent the off state and then use the Recall Scene command to invoke that?

i'd similarly like to know if it is possible to brighten or dim a scene? i see there is a "set brightness with ramp rate" command that i can use to control a device and the list of devices seems to include Hue device group, however there doesn't necessarily always seem to be a group for any given a scene that I've set up.

Posted on
Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:50 am
kw123 offline

Will check later today.

Karl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:27 am
kw123 offline

I am not really using scenes,
but here is what i can say:

answers to your questions:
>> to provide your Hue hub (select... --> yes
>> specificy "Scene Creator... --> yes
>> then the specific scene... --> yes
>>and then a Group Limit... -->
>> is there an easy way to send an "off"... --> no it will recall the scene, if you want to add an off scene you have to add that scene
>> brighten or dim a scene?... --> no same as above

Scenes are predefined RGB .. value, ramp rates .. for devices / groups on the bridge. No change can be done to a scene (from the plugin)

sorry

Karl

Posted on
Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:07 pm
dduff617 offline

thanks for the reply, karl.

kw123 wrote:
>> is there an easy way to send an "off"... --> no it will recall the scene, if you want to add an off scene you have to add that scene

Scenes are predefined RGB .. value, ramp rates .. for devices / groups on the bridge. No change can be done to a scene (from the plugin)

in the Hue app (IOS), i find that i can create a Hue scene and assign any brightness/color value I want to any lights that I want, except I can't set brightness to zero. Hue seemingly interprets setting brightness to zero as the same thing as saying "do not include this device in this scene". thus i don't see an obvious way of creating an "off" scene and selecting it as a substitute for turning a scene off. is there some other way of creating scenes besides the Hue app?

i do observe that the Hue app provides several different ways of grouping lights together besides scenes, including "rooms" and "zones"... creating these groups in the Hue app conveniently results in them automatically being created as Indigo devices by the plugin. thus, in general, it is possible (though arguably also a bit tedious) to take a scene, S and from it create a zone, Z, comprised of the same devices. when i want to turn the scene on, i can use the "Recall Hue Scene" action, with S. when i want to turn the scene off, can use just use the normal "Turn Off" action with Z. as a bonus, i can also use the brighten/dim actions (plus i can also program start/stop brighten/dim commands to work with certain press-and-hold type buttons). it is also possible to send a "turn on" command to a zone, but afaik, this will cause it to turn on to the previous state it had prior to the last time it was turned off - thus to have functionality that works for example like an Insteon scene, you need to have both the scene (for turning on to a remembered set of colors/brightnesses) and the zone (for turning off, brightening/dimming).

Page 1 of 1