Posted on
Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:53 am
vitaprimo offline

A few days ago a had a problem with DHCP, it did a number on the network. When things recovered I noticed the Hue plugin didn't.

I had to create new wireless network because the bridge couldn't be found via direct IP, apparently the thing uses multicast or some sort of link-local networking. I use RADIUS for the wireless so it's kind of a hassle—I digress though. When I finally connected to it, it had yet another roadblock, my device running the app, needed to be online too, it couldn't just use its built-in connection to update. It is on an a network that has no Internet access so… a lot more settings.

I finally got it to begin updating, I got myself busy cleaning the place to kill time while it did so. Much later I noticed the app was now showing the Hue lights on it but I was in full psychotic cleanse mode by then so until today I re-enabled the plugin. It printed the same error from before a few times then the status from one of the lights, no mention of others (and I didn't check either) then it finally stopped:

Code: Select all
Jul 6, 2022 at 04:33:27 AM
   Enabling plugin "Hue Lights 1.7.59"
   Starting plugin "Hue Lights 1.7.59" (pid 93292)
   Started plugin "Hue Lights 1.7.59"
   Hue Lights Error                versionCheck: Unable to reach the version server.
   Hue Lights Error                Unable to obtain the configuration from the Hue bridge.[Errno 54] Connection reset by peer
   Hue Lights                      Loaded 0 lights.
   Hue Lights                      Loaded 0 groups.
   Hue Lights                      Loaded 0 scenes.
   Hue Lights                      Loaded 0 sensors.
   Hue Lights Error                Unable to obtain list of Hue sensors from the bridge.No JSON object could be decoded
   Hue Lights Error                Unable to obtain list of Hue lights from the bridge.No JSON object could be decoded
   Hue Lights Error                Unable to obtain list of Hue groups from the bridge.No JSON object could be decoded
   Hue Lights Error                Unable to obtain list of Hue sensors from the bridge.No JSON object could be decoded
   Updated                         "Luces patio 2" on to 100

Finally!
I then logged into its firewall (i.e. the nearest) to block its access to the Internet then immediately after I applied the changes the errors came back:
Jul 6, 2022 at 04:34:37 AM
   Hue Lights Error                Unable to obtain list of Hue lights from the bridge.No JSON object could be decoded
   Hue Lights Error                Unable to obtain list of Hue groups from the bridge.No JSON object could be decoded

I got a newer version, perhaps "it was a known issue that's now fixed", since I don't let things update anymore there's usually something waiting. I clicked on something on the plugin that took me to a website and I got the latest version available there.
   Indigo Cocoa client connected
   Stopping plugin Hue Lights (pid 93292)
   Stopped plugin Hue Lights
   Upgrading plugin Hue Lights to newer version 1.8.7 (previous version moved to trash)
   Loading plugin "Hue Lights 1.8.7"
   Starting plugin "Hue Lights 1.8.7" (pid 93872)

Jul 6, 2022 at 04:42:14 AM
   Started plugin "Hue Lights 1.8.7"
   Hue Lights Error                versionCheck: Unable to reach the version server.
   Hue Lights Error                Unable to obtain the configuration from the Hue Bridge.No JSON object could be decoded
   Hue Lights                      Paired Hue Bridges: 1
   Hue Lights                      Bridge: 0 loaded 0 light(s).
   Hue Lights                      Bridge: 0 loaded 0 group(s).
   Hue Lights                      Bridge: 0 loaded 0 scene(s).
   Hue Lights                      Bridge: 0 loaded 0 sensor(s).
   Hue Lights Error                Unable to obtain list of Hue sensors from the bridge. at line:6072;  error msgNo JSON object could be decoded
   Hue Lights Error                Unable to obtain list of Hue lights from the bridge. at line:5852;  error msg:No JSON object could be decoded
 lastCount:{'0': 0}
   Hue Lights Error                Unable to obtain list of Hue groups from the bridge. at line:5972;  error msgNo JSON object could be decoded
   Hue Lights Error                Unable to obtain list of Hue sensors from the bridge. at line:6072;  error msgNo JSON object could be decoded
   Hue Lights Error                Unable to obtain list of Hue lights from the bridge. at line:5852;  error msg:No JSON object could be decoded
 lastCount:{'0': 0}
   Hue Lights Error                Unable to obtain list of Hue groups from the bridge. at line:5972;  error msgNo JSON object could be decoded

But now I'm seeing even that is outdated… Any clue why suddenly the Internet is required? This thing occasionally had issues even before the update, but now it took it to a new level. I think it might log me out of space in a few days at this rate.

The Hue bridge has been very chatty while trying to connect and after connecting. It also connects to domains that are flagged by the every security/privacy filter I have. I needed to create bypass rules for it which I feel very uncomfortable with. Then the Hue app before doing anything the first thing it did was to ask me if it could track and spam my contact lists--no joke. It used nicer words, of course. :/

I'll bet you think this post is about you. Don't you. ♪

Page 1 of 1