How to use with ceiling fan with light?

Posted on
Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:44 pm
webdeck offline

I am trying to add a Haiku Fan to HKLS that has a light. The fan is controlled via the SenseME plugin which can control both the fan speed and the light brightness. With Homekit Bridge, I was able to do this by having two different bridge devices, and I added the same SenseME device to both bridges, one configured as a fan and one configured as a light.

How can I get both the fan and the light added to HKLS when they are both controlled via the same single Indigo device?

Thanks,
-Mike

Posted on
Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:45 pm
GlennNZ offline

You can’t.

But easy to create another Indigo device for whatever is missing - either Virtual Device or Masquerade device (or other plugin option) for either the light or the fan. And then publish this device to HomeKitLink, along with original.

Glenn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:42 pm
webdeck offline

Re: How to use with ceiling fan with light?

Thanks for the quick response. I couldn't get Masquerade to recognize the SenseME devices. I was able to create a Virtual Device, but that limits the lights to just on and off.

I am hoping someone can write a Haiku Fan plugin to replace the abandoned SenseME plugin, since SenseME relies on the old protocol for controlling the fans and I'm stuck on their obsolete app so that I can keep the old protocol working. If the fan's firmware is ever accidentally updated, then it's game over for using the SenseME plugin. I at least was able to get SenseME working in Python3...

Hopefully if there ever is a Haiku Fan plugin, it would create multiple Indigo devices for each fan (Dimmer, Fan, Occupancy Sensor, reverse/woosh switches) and that would solve this issue for good.

Posted on
Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:08 am
webdeck offline

Okay, I have the light working, but I can't control the fan itself. This is the error I get:

Code: Select all
   HomeKitLink Siri Error          (plugin.py: Function: Plugin_setter_callback  line: 2471):    Exception :  Message : Error in setter callback
   HomeKitLink Siri Error          Traceback:
  File "plugin.py", line 2408, in Plugin_setter_callback
    indigo.device.turnOn(accessoryself.indigodeviceid)

HomeKitLink Siri Error          Error in plugin execution:

Traceback (most recent call last):
TypeError: device "Office Fan" class type Device is not compatible with action turnOn/turnOff/toggle/setBrightness/lock/unlock/open/close

HomeKitLink Siri Error         
Exc_info: (<class 'TypeError'>, TypeError('device "Office Fan" class type Device is not compatible with action turnOn/turnOff/toggle/setBrightness/lock/unlock/open/close'), <traceback object at 0x1220d0a40>)
Exc_Text: Traceback (most recent call last):
TypeError: device "Office Fan" class type Device is not compatible with action turnOn/turnOff/toggle/setBrightness/lock/unlock/open/close
Stack_info: None
   HomeKitLink Siri Error          (plugin.py: Function: Plugin_setter_callback  line: 2471):    Exception :  Message : Error in setter callback
   HomeKitLink Siri Error          Traceback:

HomeKitLink Siri Error          Error in plugin execution:

Traceback (most recent call last):

HomeKitLink Siri Error         
Exc_info: (<class 'TypeError'>, TypeError('device "Office Fan" class type Device is not compatible with action turnOn/turnOff/toggle/setBrightness/lock/unlock/open/close'), <traceback object at 0x122105680>)
Exc_Text: Traceback (most recent call last):
Stack_info: None
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-10-04 at 10.07.24 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-10-04 at 10.07.24 AM.png (221.81 KiB) Viewed 794 times

Posted on
Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:30 pm
GlennNZ offline

Hi

The error message seems to describe it well - surprisingly for an exception message - Office fan doesn’t respond to any of the usual Indigo commands as it is not an Indigo device. It (presumably) is a plugin custom device for the SenseMe plugin. As we discussed without it being an Indigo device support will vary depending on how the plugin behaves. It this case it seems even a Homekit switch (On/off) device will fail as it appears it doesn’t support those commands.

This comes back to the core issue at hand here which is you are trying to add Plugin custom device (not standard Indigo devices) to homekit, having used a Plugin to get them into Indigo in the first instance.

This Custom/External Device —> Indigo Plugin —> into Indigo and then use HKLS to publish this device out of Indigo into Homekit. And then Homekit then reverses this process. This is convoluted and not ideal or a focus of HKLS.

Add a masquerade device (if possible - but the same problem exists for masquerade plugin) or a Virtual Device with action groups giving on/off. Add as switch device and within the Home app can change it to a Fan icon/type I believe.
Alternatively would be to add a HomeKit Senseme plugin to your other homekit/HomeBridge install via a plugin (a quick google suggests that might not exist though, which probably highlights how fringe this case is.)

Supporting plugin custom devices fully was never on the cards, nor would it be possible, and the impact of all this back and forth problematic to say the least. Particularly in the current scenario where Apples HomeKit just stops responding without error messaging if unhappy about anything within the bridge.

And if the reply to that is - Homekit Bridge supported/did this that.
Well -
1. That is all well and good, and well done C4W!
2. I would comment that it only supported plugin devices that it was interested in/or had, and was no means all
3. And given was trying to take the convoluted pathway as above, with changing plugin’s was trying to support a house of cards with any plugin change potentially being breaking, and breaking Homekit silently and for all devices.
4. HKLS supports every sensor device (Temperature, True/False etc) as every HomeKit sensor device. And most Indigo devices as any HomeKit device. This x! type factorial end result means hundreds of possible devices/combinations. This means a whole host of temperature sensors, pool temp sensors, occupancy sensors, motion sensors, even weather websites (via GhostXML) are all customisable and publishable in Homekit versus older solution which had limited support. Either not being able to get it in at all, or one homekit device type only.

Hopefully the solution in the SenseMe thread is an updated plugin with seperate Indigo devices for the Lights/Fans which will resolve this issue for you, or a virtual device meanwhile. The combined device grouping now possible would seem a good way for this plugin to go, and did check out the fan website as have a fan I could upgrade….

Glenn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by GlennNZ on Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:25 pm
webdeck offline

I was just trying to figure out if this was possible, as I'm new to your plugin. I get that we are all volunteers sharing with the community and I'm not demanding that you add anything to your plugin. I understand that you are saying it is out of scope and respect that.

Posted on
Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:34 pm
GlennNZ offline

webdeck wrote:
I was just trying to figure out if this was possible, as I'm new to your plugin. I get that we are all volunteers sharing with the community and I'm not demanding that you add anything to your plugin. I understand that you are saying it is out of scope and respect that.
No problem. Out of scope would be a good three words in this scenario!
Hopefully an update senseme plugin sorts out !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:04 am
siclark online

How about running Homebridge and using a plugin there? There appears to be one that supports the latest api but then of course the device would be HomeKit only and not indigo but you could use shortcuts to control from indigo?

https://github.com/oogje/homebridge-i6-bigAssFans

Page 1 of 1